News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anyone else hate control countries?

Started by Roadgeekteen, September 03, 2022, 10:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 12, 2022, 12:21:33 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 11, 2022, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 08, 2022, 08:53:21 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 08, 2022, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 07, 2022, 07:40:30 PM
89: Should be St Albans/Montreal, then just plain Montreal from Burlington north.  A-35, when completed, should use Burlington instead of just plain "Vermont"

For folks heading south, "Vermont" is probably the more significant destination than "Burlington".

This works: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4090466,-73.3209601,3a,32.9y,91.12h,91.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-kvN_LyvvFKSRaTHRcHpIw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Except that you also have "Vermont"  for A-55.  Burlington is the largest city in Vermont, so it is significant enough, plus 40% of passengers at Burlington Airport are Quebecois.  Vermont/(New Hampshire) works on I-91 because there is no significant city on I-91 until you get to Springfield,... MA.  That A-35 exit does eventually need a Boston reference when it's complete to the border, even if it's on supplemental signage. 

My point remains, however, that Québecois heading south are more likely headed to "Vermont" than specifically to Burlington.

Yes, there are two major crossings, and many minor crossings into Vermont.  The supplemental signage advising which exit connects to I-89, and which connects to I-91 is useful for those drivers whose specific destination in Vermont warrants going to "the other" crossing....but I suspect the bulk of the traffic to Vermont is already subdivided into (Montréal and Montérégie > I-89) and (Estrie and Capitale-Nationale > I-91).

The situation isn't terribly dissimilar to how I-80 and I-78 both have "New York City" as the control city from I-287 in New Jersey (and I-95/NJTPK as well, once you're through the toll plaza).   True, Vermont covers a broader area than NYC....but you still have the phenomenon of the route you really want being a function of both where you're coming from, and where in the destination you're going/whether you're going beyond the control destination.
What about signing "Burlington Vermont"

I like that. 

The arguments for or against using a state or a country as a control should not change based on whether you are on the other side of an international border.   In the same way that most of us would be upset with state controls when you are over a state line, we should be upset with state controls over an international boundary as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.