News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which Interstate/US Highway terminates the most of its peers?

Started by OCGuy81, May 23, 2023, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Nothing near the most, but in Indiana, US 20 terminates US 33, US 35 and I-65, which is a lot for anything not on a coast.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

StogieGuy7

Quote from: vdeane on May 23, 2023, 08:51:43 PM
^In fact, I'm pretty sure I-5 is the only 2di to actually end at the border.  I-19 stops a couple blocks short, as does I-35, and I believe I've read that I-69W technically ends at Riverbank Drive due to the World Trade Bridge being commercial only.

You forgot at least one major 2 di: I-69, which goes right up to the Blue Water Bridge (Port Huron/Sarnia) and ends at the Canadian border.  Interstate 89 at Highgate, VT is likely another, as it is marked right up to the border.  And then there's I-93 at Derby Line, VT which also ends at the border with Quebec. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on May 25, 2023, 09:35:35 AM
^In fact, I'm pretty sure I-5 is the only 2di to actually end at the border.  I-19 stops a couple blocks short, as does I-35, and I believe I've read that I-69W technically ends at Riverbank Drive due to the World Trade Bridge being commercial only.

You forgot at least one major 2 di: I-69, which goes right up to the Blue Water Bridge (Port Huron/Sarnia) and ends at the Canadian border.  Interstate 89 at Highgate, VT is likely another, as it is marked right up to the border.  And then there's I-93 at Derby Line, VT which also ends at the border with Quebec.

The discussion was about interstates terminating on the southern border.

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 25, 2023, 09:45:54 AM

If you broaden the scope a bit to include 3dis, I-110 in El Paso reaches the border. I believe it is the only 3di to do so.

StogieGuy7

Honestly, I didn't sift through the entire thread to glean that.  And I wouldn't have guessed because the detail isn't all that important given that many interstates terminate right at the border and the engineering/administration of that interface is the same whether it's north or south.

vdeane

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on May 25, 2023, 12:09:07 PM

Honestly, I didn't sift through the entire thread to glean that.  And I wouldn't have guessed because the detail isn't all that important given that many interstates terminate right at the border and the engineering/administration of that interface is the same whether it's north or south.
FYI, the ^ mark at the beginning of a post means that it is in reply to the one directly above it.

Lots of interstates (I-A1, I-5, I-15, I-29, I-75, I-94*, I-190, I-81, I-87, I-89, I-91, I-95) end at the Canadian border, which is why it's so weird that they tend to stop short of the Mexican border.  Incidentally, I've even heard conflicting reports on exactly where I-110 ends, so that's why I limited that comment to 2dis.

*I tend to view I-69 here as a bootleg interstate.  Unlike the infamous MMM I-80/90 discussion, they don't split again later, so it's a pointless overlap, and IIRC, I-94 was there first.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.