Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Big John on February 07, 2021, 10:40:17 PM
^^ It was a Jeep ad where the driver gets off K-191 to get on an unpaved road.

Could have fooled me, seemed like it was more about political stability or whatever they were trying to go for.

kenarmy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2021, 10:42:12 PM

Could have fooled me, seemed like it was more about political stability or whatever they were trying to go for.

... I just heard it had something to do with the center of the lower 48.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on February 07, 2021, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2021, 10:42:12 PM

... I just heard it had something to do with the center of the lower 48.

Centralist politics which was somehow symbolized by the center of the country?  At least there wasn't gimp masks involved like at halftime.

wanderer2575

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2021, 11:09:50 AM
Quote from: cwf1701 on February 06, 2021, 10:58:00 PM
I seen a Episode of M^A*S*H (set during the Korean War) which had signs from Ohio. in the Episode, Klinger has a dream of getting off a train in Toledo (he step out of his office and enter a street scene of Toledo). in the Scene i seen a US-25 and a OH-2 sign, with signs pointing to Sandusky and Cleveland (via OH-2). Where in real life did US-25 and OH-2 intersect in Toledo during 1950-53, and what was the other Ohio state highways that was seen in the dream scene?

To answer the first part of your question, SR-2 (Airport Highway) and US-25 (Detroit Ave) originally met a few miles southwest of downtown Toledo at what is now SR-2 and US-24.

Toledo
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jEbzjdGYwonFTpni6

Historically, that intersection lies 2-3 miles away from Toledo's Union Station, so there was a bit of location "leeway" back then in that particular scene.

Nowadays the modern day SR-2 and *SR*-25 intersection is a bit closer to the train station (after the several 1986 route changes in Toledo).

I haven't seen that episode of M*A*S*H in years, but IIRC, US-68 was another route on that assembly.  That route did indeed end in Toledo in the 50s, but I don't believe it ever intersected with US-25 in downtown Toledo.

In the "Dreams" episode, it was US-25, OH-102, OH-183, and OH-2 in the assembly, and it showed all four routes running concurrent.  The distances sign showed 29 miles to Bowling Green, 58 miles to Sandusky, and 112 miles to Cleveland, all in the same direction at that point.

D-Dey65

The 1966 version of "Stuart Little," shows Stuart driving a toy version of an Auburn or Cord up the West Side Highway towards the Saw Mill River Parkway.

https://archive.org/details/stuartlittle/stuartlittlereel2.mov

bing101

Perfect Strangers season 1 yes some of the road shots are in the Chicago area. But some scenes look like they were shot from the LA area.

Rothman

Quote from: bing101 on March 06, 2021, 06:01:59 PM
Perfect Strangers season 1 yes some of the road shots are in the Chicago area. But some scenes look like they were shot from the LA area.

Before they worked for the newspaper...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cwf1701

I saw a little bit of the movie "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" which brings about this question. when they showed the freeway driving scene, i thought i saw something that would be wrong for the period (the movie was set in 1969). In the freeway driving scenes, a Exit with a exit number was seen as well as a merge (graphic) with lane added, none of which would be on a California freeway in 1969. When did CA first post the graphic merge sign and when what year did the merge with lane added first get posted?

tdindy88

I was watching the NCAA Tournament over the weekend when I noticed this ad by Nissan featuring a car chasing a basketball from San Francisco across the country to Indianapolis. Being from Indy I saw how they protrayed the city as the car was driving into town. Apparently INDOT decided to go full SoCal style on their freeways when rebuilding the North Split.

Long story short. The first picture features a halfway accurate view of the skyline, but with no road approaching the city like that in real life. Also a portion of the skyline is shown at a different angle than it is in real life. The second picture features a highway that naturally doesn't exist in Indy nor a highway sign that like that. There ARE signs that say I-70 East for Indianapolis but somehow the interchange by the airport on the west side of Indianapolis doesn't have the same flair as an LA freeway. The last picture does feature a more accurate view of the skyline as it would appear from I-65/I-70 just east of Downtown Indy but the road in the background doesn't exist in real life.

Admittedly with the pandemic going on it might be a little difficult to film car commercials outside of California.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 24, 2021, 09:22:27 PM
I was watching the NCAA Tournament over the weekend when I noticed this ad by Nissan featuring a car chasing a basketball from San Francisco across the country to Indianapolis. Being from Indy I saw how they protrayed the city as the car was driving into town. Apparently INDOT decided to go full SoCal style on their freeways when rebuilding the North Split.

Long story short. The first picture features a halfway accurate view of the skyline, but with no road approaching the city like that in real life. Also a portion of the skyline is shown at a different angle than it is in real life. The second picture features a highway that naturally doesn't exist in Indy nor a highway sign that like that. There ARE signs that say I-70 East for Indianapolis but somehow the interchange by the airport on the west side of Indianapolis doesn't have the same flair as an LA freeway. The last picture does feature a more accurate view of the skyline as it would appear from I-65/I-70 just east of Downtown Indy but the road in the background doesn't exist in real life.

Admittedly with the pandemic going on it might be a little difficult to film car commercials outside of California.

Not quite So Cal style.  All of those shots are from the 980 in Oakland between the 580 and 880.  Depicted are the 12th Street on-ramp n/b, the 27th Street exit s/b and the 17th Street overpass looking southbound.

kurumi

The World Cup Bridge in Seoul is featured in a car chase in the Korean sci-fi drama "Sisyphus: The Myth". In the same way as the American film "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down", the freeway looks almost ready to go except for a short gap where there's no bridge at all.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

That's odd Indianapolis has button copy porcelain but those signs look like California to me given that as noted is at CA- 24/I-980 @ I-580 interchange.

GreenLanternCorps

Big John

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kurumi

In "The Mitchells vs. the Machines" (fun movie, I recommend), mentions a few highways including "Interstate 131" in Michigan:

... heavy traffic on CA 85 (not shown) ...

... a certain overlap in Gilroy, CA ....

and US 6, I-94, and possibly some others I missed.

I googled "Interstate 131" and a lot of Michiganders call it that.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

D-Dey65

I saw Indianapolis on one sign, and immediately thought of the original version of "One Day at a Time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUQaws4mveM

But anyway this morning I saw the Rifftrax version of the 1975 movie "Trucker's Woman," and saw that it was filmed in South Carolina. IMDb claims it was filmed in Florence and Society Hill, but in one scene they also have a deputy sheriff wearing a Sumter County Sheriff's uniform, But that's not the worst part. The near to last scene takes place in both of the Florence County Rest Areas on I-95, the very rest areas I've been dying to see why I've been obsessed with before SCDOT closed them down 11 years ago.

OCGuy81

Not sure if this one was mentioned, but watched "The Founder" about Ray Kroc.

When he was driving from San Bernardino to see an attempted McDonald's franchise in Phoenix, he turns south on US-17.  Funny, as you'd nowadays use Interstate 17 to head south into Phoenix.

Kniwt

This week's episode of Taskmaster Norway (Kongen Befaler) shows us a nice BYS or three around Oslo:

GaryV

On "Good Bones" on HGTV, I've seen Interstate "TO" signs.  Including at least twice 65|70 in one shield, separated like that with a vertical bar.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: GaryV on September 29, 2021, 07:58:40 AM
On "Good Bones" on HGTV, I've seen Interstate "TO" signs.  Including at least twice 65|70 in one shield, separated like that with a vertical bar.

You mean something like this?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

GaryV

cwf1701

In the Stargate SG-1 episode "1969" there are some US-66 signs on a three lane segment in IL. The real US-66 in IL in 1969 was on a 4 lane divided highway where I-55 have not yet been built, and would be signed Chicago/St. Louis instead of East/West. Also there is a Sign for US-285 in NM. in the same Episode.

KCRoadFan

There is a scene in the 1996 Coen Brothers movie Fargo that takes place in Golden Valley, MN (inner-ring west suburb of Minneapolis) with I-394 in the background - the signs for Louisiana Avenue, Xenia-Park Place, and MN 100 can be seen.

djsekani

Those signs were in Los Angeles, on the Universal Studios backlot. The Hill Valley central square is just a set.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2020, 09:05:20 PM
Searched the forum and didn't find this anywhere. Cutouts in "Back to the Future" ; this scene is set in 1985. (The reason that blue banner is there is because this video was about the original actress who played Jennifer, Claudia Wells; it showed up in my YouTube recommendations. I'd never noticed the cutouts before, and I would not have seen them now if Jennifer had been on-screen at the same time!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.