AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos  (Read 305867 times)

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 12:43:30 PM
Re: Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos
« Reply #800 on: September 30, 2021, 07:27:05 AM »

^ Exactly

cwf1701

• Last Login: April 21, 2022, 11:14:36 PM
« Reply #801 on: September 30, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »

In the Stargate SG-1 episode "1969" there are some US-66 signs on a three lane segment in IL. The real US-66 in IL in 1969 was on a 4 lane divided highway where I-55 have not yet been built, and would be signed Chicago/St. Louis instead of East/West. Also there is a Sign for US-285 in NM. in the same Episode.

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 01:31:52 PM
« Reply #802 on: October 01, 2021, 09:10:05 PM »

There is a scene in the 1996 Coen Brothers movie Fargo that takes place in Golden Valley, MN (inner-ring west suburb of Minneapolis) with I-394 in the background - the signs for Louisiana Avenue, Xenia-Park Place, and MN 100 can be seen.

djsekani

• Last Login: March 26, 2022, 02:52:36 PM
« Reply #803 on: October 26, 2021, 03:24:11 PM »

Those signs were in Los Angeles, on the Universal Studios backlot. The Hill Valley central square is just a set.

Searched the forum and didn’t find this anywhere. Cutouts in “Back to the Future”; this scene is set in 1985. (The reason that blue banner is there is because this video was about the original actress who played Jennifer, Claudia Wells; it showed up in my YouTube recommendations. I’d never noticed the cutouts before, and I would not have seen them now if Jennifer had been on-screen at the same time!)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 01:41:31 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #804 on: October 26, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »

Those signs were in Los Angeles, on the Universal Studios backlot. The Hill Valley central square is just a set.

Searched the forum and didn’t find this anywhere. Cutouts in “Back to the Future”; this scene is set in 1985. (The reason that blue banner is there is because this video was about the original actress who played Jennifer, Claudia Wells; it showed up in my YouTube recommendations. I’d never noticed the cutouts before, and I would not have seen them now if Jennifer had been on-screen at the same time!)

Did a whole thing awhile back attempting to track down the location of Hill Valley within California:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/where-hell-is-hill-valley-us-route-8.html?m=1

The basic conclusion is somewhere northeast of Sacramento and the signage is just complete movie gibberish.

LilianaUwU

• meow

• Last Login: Today at 12:39:09 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #805 on: November 08, 2021, 02:58:29 AM »

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has quite a few green signs, both on gantries and standalone.

kurumi

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:27 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #806 on: November 08, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »

Yowamushi Pedal (anime, Netflix and others) has a few map scenes and some dialog, including:
* mention of a ride along Route 16 near Chiba
* map of routes 1 and 135 at Odawara
* Route 1 and old Route 1 along the Inter-High race course

zachary_amaryllis

• Just another guy who likes highway stuff.

• Last Login: Today at 09:33:36 AM
« Reply #807 on: November 08, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »

amazing world of gumball: when they're travelling on the highway, there's a repeating sign that looks like us-6 and ct-8 (or some other state that has a rectangular sign like that).

yeah, i'm 51 and enjoy cartoons.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 11:57:21 AM
« Reply #808 on: November 08, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »

amazing world of gumball: when they're travelling on the highway, there's a repeating sign that looks like us-6 and ct-8 (or some other state that has a rectangular sign like that).

I forget the episode, but I got a screen shot:

These are the responsible adult things I watch when on an airplane.
Photos | Don't feed the trolls

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:40:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #809 on: November 16, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »

Bauhaus Heavy has got to be the worst choice for a road sign font of all time.

LilianaUwU

• meow

• Flickr
« Reply #810 on: November 16, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »

Hey, at least it's one font and not as much of an unreadable mess like a certain Craig County sign.

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 11:57:21 AM
« Reply #811 on: November 16, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »

90% of the character decision-making in The Amazing World of Gumball leaves a lot to be desired.
Photos | Don't feed the trolls

Chrysler375Freeway

• Last Login: May 19, 2022, 01:27:44 AM
« Reply #812 on: January 04, 2022, 01:54:18 AM »

The Cleveland Memorial Shoreway in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was used to depict a freeway in DC, as DC itself doesn't have many freeways in it, nor does it have skyscrapers. Parts of the action/chase scene have dead giveaways that tell you it's Cleveland they filmed the scene in. In fact, the screenwriters tried to make Cleveland into Washington, D.C. for filming as best as they could.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:56 PM
« Reply #813 on: January 04, 2022, 06:58:42 AM »

The Cleveland Memorial Shoreway in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was used to depict a freeway in DC, as DC itself doesn't have many freeways in it, nor does it have skyscrapers. Parts of the action/chase scene have dead giveaways that tell you it's Cleveland they filmed the scene in. In fact, the screenwriters tried to make Cleveland into Washington, D.C. for filming as best as they could.
In the Nick Fury car attack sequence, you can see US 6/US 322 shields in the background.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Chrysler375Freeway

« Reply #814 on: January 04, 2022, 09:09:39 PM »

In the Nick Fury car attack sequence, you can see US 6/US 322 shields in the background.
In another scene, you can see Ohio state route shields on the guide signs.

FreewayDan

• Last Login: March 27, 2022, 10:28:56 PM
    • FreewayDan's Flickr Channel
« Reply #815 on: January 15, 2022, 08:02:54 PM »

In the Palm Springs scenes of the 1980 movie American Gigolo, US 60 appears on signage at I-10's junction with SR 111 near Palm Springs.  This was later replaced with a new sign with "other Desert Cities" sometime later.  The movie was shot in early 1979 according to IMDB.com.

Signage with US 60 appears at the 3:49 mark:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:10:23 AM by FreewayDan »
LEFT ON GREEN
 ARROW ONLY

Chrysler375Freeway

« Reply #816 on: January 16, 2022, 12:19:39 AM »

90% of the character decision-making in The Amazing World of Gumball leaves a lot to be desired.
And there are only nine types of vehicles (Elmore Wings doesn't count, as it's an airline) that appear and are driven on the show (Ford LTD Crown Victoria (forming the basis of various vehicles), Chevy Van (forming the basis of Janice and the Awesome Store), Chrysler minivans and Ford Carousel (forming the basis of the minivan), Dodge Polara (forming the basis of the police car), Ford F-100, Cadillac DeVille Convertible (owned by the Robinsons), Piaggio Vespa (used by Richard in The Job), and Ford Fairmont Squire Wagon (forming the basis of Cartax).). Variety in vehicles would have suited both the characters and the show. However, I won't stray too far into why only select vehicles were used, as it goes off topic here.

Kniwt

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:18 AM
« Reply #817 on: January 22, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »

Tonight's episode of Ant & Dec's Limitless Win had a question that might be of interest to some here:

The answer:
15cm. (The contestants thought it was indeed 15cm, but they guessed 10cm to be safe.)

(We can't do spoiler tags here, can we?)

LilianaUwU

• meow

• Flickr
« Reply #818 on: February 15, 2022, 01:28:56 AM »

Earthbound has a state-named Ohio US 40 shield... as an enemy.

Chrysler375Freeway

« Reply #819 on: March 14, 2022, 02:46:08 AM »

Regular Show: In Busted Cart, there is a reference to California State Route 66 and Interstate 40, even though the show's city is implied to be on the East Coast, because the show's official wiki says the city was a Revolutionary War battle site, even though it is most likely to be in the Western United States. However, in Prankless, it is implied to be in the Central U.S.

Mark68

• Last Login: April 16, 2022, 02:47:41 PM
    • My Travels over the years
« Reply #820 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:12 PM »

Just watched the new Scream movie over the weekend, and in two scenes they had a sign saying "Leaving Woodsboro City Limit". You NEVER see these types of signs IRL, I don't know why they would include them in the movie (didn't really enhance the plot at all).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 01:41:31 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #821 on: March 16, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »

Just watched the new Scream movie over the weekend, and in two scenes they had a sign saying "Leaving Woodsboro City Limit". You NEVER see these types of signs IRL, I don't know why they would include them in the movie (didn't really enhance the plot at all).

If I was following along correctly, was the movie implying Woodsboro was near Modesto?  There is nothing near Modesto that resembles any of the set locations.  The nearest places would be in the Bay Area.

StogieGuy7

• Last Login: April 28, 2022, 01:12:35 PM
« Reply #822 on: March 16, 2022, 01:39:15 PM »

I thought the same thing. And the movie was supposed to take place in central CA, yet those signs weren't the least bit similar to Caltrans signage.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/78/1f/bc781fa4ec7f52da20c5c0e547aa9450.jpg

Gnutella

• Last Login: April 27, 2022, 06:06:10 AM
« Reply #823 on: March 30, 2022, 02:35:36 AM »

At 2:04 in the music video for "11:11" by Dinosaur Pile-Up, you can briefly see this gantry of BGSs at the junction of I-55 and I-270 near Troy, IL (St. Louis metropolitan areas). It's fitting too, because honestly, I think the song is great for long-distance driving on road trips.

Interestingly, the signs on the gantry all had Clearview text in 2016, when the song and video were released, and in 2017, when I last drove on that segment of I-55, but apparently they've since been replaced by signs with Highway Gothic text.

LilianaUwU

• meow

• Flickr
« Reply #824 on: April 15, 2022, 02:15:24 PM »

It's a stretch for this thread because it's a card game, but in the upcoming Magic: the Gathering set "Streets of New Capenna", the card Threefold Signal is, you guessed it, a traffic signal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.