News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: djsekani on October 26, 2021, 03:24:11 PM
Those signs were in Los Angeles, on the Universal Studios backlot. The Hill Valley central square is just a set.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2020, 09:05:20 PM
Searched the forum and didn't find this anywhere. Cutouts in "Back to the Future" ; this scene is set in 1985. (The reason that blue banner is there is because this video was about the original actress who played Jennifer, Claudia Wells; it showed up in my YouTube recommendations. I'd never noticed the cutouts before, and I would not have seen them now if Jennifer had been on-screen at the same time!)

Did a whole thing awhile back attempting to track down the location of Hill Valley within California:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/where-hell-is-hill-valley-us-route-8.html?m=1

The basic conclusion is somewhere northeast of Sacramento and the signage is just complete movie gibberish.

LilianaUwU

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has quite a few green signs, both on gantries and standalone.

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kurumi

Yowamushi Pedal (anime, Netflix and others) has a few map scenes and some dialog, including:
* mention of a ride along Route 16 near Chiba
* map of routes 1 and 135 at Odawara
* Route 1 and old Route 1 along the Inter-High race course
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zachary_amaryllis

amazing world of gumball: when they're travelling on the highway, there's a repeating sign that looks like us-6 and ct-8 (or some other state that has a rectangular sign like that).

yeah, i'm 51 and enjoy cartoons.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 08, 2021, 01:35:17 PM
amazing world of gumball: when they're travelling on the highway, there's a repeating sign that looks like us-6 and ct-8 (or some other state that has a rectangular sign like that).

I forget the episode, but I got a screen shot:

These are the responsible adult things I watch when on an airplane.

Scott5114

Bauhaus Heavy has got to be the worst choice for a road sign font of all time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2021, 03:33:01 PM

Hey, at least it's one font and not as much of an unreadable mess like a certain Craig County sign.
—Mr. Thwomp

formulanone

90% of the character decision-making in The Amazing World of Gumball leaves a lot to be desired.

Chrysler375Freeway

The Cleveland Memorial Shoreway in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was used to depict a freeway in DC, as DC itself doesn't have many freeways in it, nor does it have skyscrapers. Parts of the action/chase scene have dead giveaways that tell you it's Cleveland they filmed the scene in. In fact, the screenwriters tried to make Cleveland into Washington, D.C. for filming as best as they could.

Rothman

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on January 04, 2022, 01:54:18 AM
The Cleveland Memorial Shoreway in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was used to depict a freeway in DC, as DC itself doesn't have many freeways in it, nor does it have skyscrapers. Parts of the action/chase scene have dead giveaways that tell you it's Cleveland they filmed the scene in. In fact, the screenwriters tried to make Cleveland into Washington, D.C. for filming as best as they could.
In the Nick Fury car attack sequence, you can see US 6/US 322 shields in the background.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Chrysler375Freeway

Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2022, 06:58:42 AM
Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on January 04, 2022, 01:54:18 AM
In the Nick Fury car attack sequence, you can see US 6/US 322 shields in the background.
In another scene, you can see Ohio state route shields on the guide signs.

FreewayDan

In the Palm Springs scenes of the 1980 movie American Gigolo, US 60 appears on signage at I-10's junction with SR 111 near Palm Springs.  This was later replaced with a new sign with "other Desert Cities" sometime later.  The movie was shot in early 1979 according to IMDB.com.

Signage with US 60 appears at the 3:49 mark:
https://youtu.be/pFpai012KPw?t=229
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Chrysler375Freeway

Quote from: formulanone on November 16, 2021, 03:55:06 PM

90% of the character decision-making in The Amazing World of Gumball leaves a lot to be desired.
And there are only nine types of vehicles (Elmore Wings doesn't count, as it's an airline) that appear and are driven on the show (Ford LTD Crown Victoria (forming the basis of various vehicles), Chevy Van (forming the basis of Janice and the Awesome Store), Chrysler minivans and Ford Carousel (forming the basis of the minivan), Dodge Polara (forming the basis of the police car), Ford F-100, Cadillac DeVille Convertible (owned by the Robinsons), Piaggio Vespa (used by Richard in The Job), and Ford Fairmont Squire Wagon (forming the basis of Cartax).). Variety in vehicles would have suited both the characters and the show. However, I won't stray too far into why only select vehicles were used, as it goes off topic here.

Kniwt

Tonight's episode of Ant & Dec's Limitless Win had a question that might be of interest to some here:

The answer:
15cm. (The contestants thought it was indeed 15cm, but they guessed 10cm to be safe.)

(We can't do spoiler tags here, can we?)

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Chrysler375Freeway

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 08, 2021, 01:35:17 PM

Regular Show: In Busted Cart, there is a reference to California State Route 66 and Interstate 40, even though the show's city is implied to be on the East Coast, because the show's official wiki says the city was a Revolutionary War battle site, even though it is most likely to be in the Western United States. However, in Prankless, it is implied to be in the Central U.S.

Mark68

Just watched the new Scream movie over the weekend, and in two scenes they had a sign saying "Leaving Woodsboro City Limit". You NEVER see these types of signs IRL, I don't know why they would include them in the movie (didn't really enhance the plot at all).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Mark68 on March 16, 2022, 12:34:12 PM
Just watched the new Scream movie over the weekend, and in two scenes they had a sign saying "Leaving Woodsboro City Limit". You NEVER see these types of signs IRL, I don't know why they would include them in the movie (didn't really enhance the plot at all).

If I was following along correctly, was the movie implying Woodsboro was near Modesto?  There is nothing near Modesto that resembles any of the set locations.  The nearest places would be in the Bay Area.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Mark68 on March 16, 2022, 12:34:12 PM

I thought the same thing. And the movie was supposed to take place in central CA, yet those signs weren't the least bit similar to Caltrans signage.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/78/1f/bc781fa4ec7f52da20c5c0e547aa9450.jpg

Gnutella

At 2:04 in the music video for "11:11" by Dinosaur Pile-Up, you can briefly see this gantry of BGSs at the junction of I-55 and I-270 near Troy, IL (St. Louis metropolitan areas). It's fitting too, because honestly, I think the song is great for long-distance driving on road trips.

Interestingly, the signs on the gantry all had Clearview text in 2016, when the song and video were released, and in 2017, when I last drove on that segment of I-55, but apparently they've since been replaced by signs with Highway Gothic text.

LilianaUwU

It's a stretch for this thread because it's a card game, but in the upcoming Magic: the Gathering set "Streets of New Capenna", the card Threefold Signal is, you guessed it, a traffic signal.

https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/1514728422198685699
—Mr. Thwomp

ethanhopkin14

The Cincinnati scenes in Rain Man are on I-275 and on the Roebling Bridge.  The latter Raymond and Charlie heading from Walbrook (that is in Kentucky) to downtown Cincinnati, but if you look closer, they are heading from Ohio to Kentucky (you can see the Welcome to Ohio sign facing the opposite direction when they exit the bridge). 

machias

In the opening credits to the 1970s show "Alice" , they pass under a sign that says Phoenix. The other sign says El Paso. It appears to be at a Phoenix/El Paso split, which means it has to be I-10 in Tucson at the northern end of I-19. Why Linda Lavin's Alice, driving from New Jersey to California, is coming up from Nogales isn't quite known.

thenetwork

Quote from: machias on April 15, 2022, 05:13:55 PM
In the opening credits to the 1970s show "Alice" , they pass under a sign that says Phoenix. The other sign says El Paso. It appears to be at a Phoenix/El Paso split, which means it has to be I-10 in Tucson at the northern end of I-19. Why Linda Lavin's Alice, driving from New Jersey to California, is coming up from Nogales isn't quite known.

Because Tommy was a roadgeek and he talked his mom, Alice, to do a bit of cruising along the "metric freeway".   :bigass:

kkt

Quote from: machias on April 15, 2022, 05:13:55 PM

Maybe it was winter when they were making the trip and storms were forecast for Wyoming, Colorado, and Flagstaff, so they swung all the way down to I-10 to cross the country.  And made a short side trip to Nogales in order to check off "Mexico" on their "been there" list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.