Wildwood NJ to get unique cable stay span.

Started by SteveG1988, August 30, 2012, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Connecting Morey's Pier to the former Hunt's Pier (closed to the public since the 90s) will be a cable stay bridge, that has one sole purpose, to carry a wooden roller coaster.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Whaaaaaaat? Is this the first example of road-type construction for a roller coaster?

vdeane

No idea, but near Alexandria Bay, NY there was a mini-golf course that had a pedestrian replica of the Thousand Islands Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Looks like the coaster will be a lot of fun.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

Any idea on when construction will start and when it's going to be completed?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 08, 2012, 01:47:19 PM
*Watch the tram-car please!*    :biggrin:
Oh yeah, I remember that recording.  The tram car drivers have to have a lot of courage to not go crazy hearing that all day long!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Morey's Piers already has one wooden roller coaster on another pier.  While most wooden roller coasters have their natural twists and turns and squeeks, one very unique element in Wildwood is the sand.  Get a nice breeze...especially on a misty night, and you also have to contend with sand blowing in your face as you loop around at 50 mph!!

When I was on the Wildwood boardwalk in early October, I didn't see any noticable construction related to this coaster.  Looking around the web, I saw some stories saying it's planned for 2013, although many of these stories are at least a year old or older.

Just another note...compared with the northern part of the Jersey Shore, Wildwood escaped most of the wrath of Superstorm Sandy, except for general flooding and minor property damage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.