News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

10/25 Sea-Tac Road Meet

Started by Alps, September 10, 2014, 11:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I have a spare day in Seattle. Saturdays are road meet days. Besides WA-99 construction, I don't know what to put on the itinerary. If someone more local can pair up with me (Kacie Jane, looking your way), I can get this organized and show the West Coast how we do it.

Kacie Jane

Looking back your way.  I've never done a road meet, so I'm not sure what sort of help you might be looking for, but give me some guidance as to what guidance you need, and I'll give you all the guidance I can muster.

Off the top of my head for other road sights, SR 520 is probably a must, assuming it's open that weekend.  (Weekend construction closures are alarmingly frequent.)  If there's time/willingness, we could head down to Tacoma, get everyone a clinch of SR 16 over the Narrows Bridge (also some cool construction at the I-5/SR 16 interchange), and take the ferry back to Seattle.

Alps

It all sounds cool. So far it's you, me, a possible, and a faint corco, but we'll see. Fewer people makes it easier to be flexible, but I still would like to plan things for a small group.

Also, for those stumbling upon this thread, https://www.facebook.com/events/282200251988342/

jakeroot

I am also interested in participating, if you wouldn't mind.

BTW Alps, the Facebook link isn't working.

Alps

Quote from: jake on September 11, 2014, 12:28:00 AM
I am also interested in participating, if you wouldn't mind.

BTW Alps, the Facebook link isn't working.
Now it is.

Alps

I've already signed up myself and Kacie for the 3-4 PM tour on October 25. Space is limited, so anyone else who's coming should sign up as soon as you know.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/TourForm?

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2014, 07:26:30 PM
I've already signed up myself and Kacie for the 3-4 PM tour on October 25. Space is limited, so anyone else who's coming should sign up as soon as you know.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/TourForm?

Done.

kkt

I'm interested but scheduling commitments may or may not allow.

Alps

Quote from: kkt on September 11, 2014, 10:59:25 PM

If you're not sure, reserve the tour. (That rhymes, so it is now this meet's slogan.) They let you cancel later.

Alps

Final tour itinerary, for those following along at home:

First stop: Thompson Expressway. Leave Beth's no later than 1 PM.
Directions: From Beth's, head south and make the first right on 73rd, then the next left on Winona Ave. In about half a mile, bear left under SR 99 and end up on West Green Lake Way. Turn left on 50th St., and right at 5th Ave. to merge onto I-5 southbound. Bear left at Exit 168B for SR 520, then take the next exit for Montlake Blvd. (before the toll). Turn left on Montlake, cross the bridge, and make the next left on Pacific St. We're checking out some construction signage; make the next right on Pacific Place, and turn right again onto Montlake/513 southbound. Make the 2nd left on Lake Washington Blvd., and the parking lot is on the left in less than 1/2 mile. We'll get out and explore the intended northbound ramp to 520 west, and we'll walk under the southbound ramp for views of more stubs.
Second stop: Alaskan Way Tunnel. Leave Thompson stop around 2 PM.
Directions: Make a left out of the parking lot and the next left onto the SR 520 ramp. Head left through the cones and travel up the stub. Park here for a quick couple of stub ramp photos, then come back down the stub ramp and swivel left to head onto 520 east (toll)/Evergreen Point Bridge. Exit onto I-405 south, then take Exit 11 to I-90 west and the other floating bridge. This is your chance to take the express HOV lane - if it's open, bear left onto it, then follow it to the end in 6.3 miles, then make the first left on Seattle Blvd. and bear right onto 4th Ave. If it's closed, take regular I-90, keep left at I-5, then bear right for City Center and make a left onto 4th Ave. Our destination is after Jackson St., between Main St. (EB only) and Washington St., three blocks west along 1st Avenue southbound. We'll park as close as possible (there are garages if we can't get on the street) and walk to "Milepost 31" at #211 1st Ave. for our 3 PM tour.
Third stop: South Park Bridge. Leave Alaskan Way stop around 4:20 PM (heh, heh).
Directions: From wherever we parked, head south on 1st Avenue, which picks up SR 519. Make a left at Atlantic Ave./Edgar Martinez Drive to stay with 519, then bear right toward I-5 southbound. Take Exit 162 for Corson Ave., make a left at the end (Marginal Way, former US 99), then right in about half a mile onto 16th Ave. We are going to cross the new South Park Bridge, and there should be a place to park at Dallas Ave. (either turn right twice or left twice to get in the shadow of the bridge).
Fourth stop: Chittenden/Ballard Locks. Leave South Park Bridge stop around 5:00 PM.
Directions: Head back north over the South Park Bridge. Turn left on Marginal Way and make the next right on Ellis Ave. Follow the curve onto Albro Pl. Turn right at the end, then the 3rd left onto Graham St. In about a mile, make a left on MLK, Jr. Way, formerly known as Empire Way. In another mile, turn left on Alaska St., which becomes Columbian Way. Keep an eye out for state-name shields. There are at least two: one in 1 mile at Oregon St./15th Ave., and another on the right just after bearing left from 15th Ave. 1/3 mile later, partially obscured by a utility pole. (There's a place to park on the right just after the obscured sign, so we can jump out and get a better view.) Bear left onto I-5 north. Take Exit 164B (Edgar Martinez Dr.), turn right on 519 and then right again onto 1st Ave./519. Make the next left and turn right to merge onto the Alaskan Way Viaduct for one last drive before it comes down. Continue through the tunnel, then turn right on Aloha Street in about ½ mile. Turn right at the end and make a quick left on Westlake Ave. This used to be one way northbound, but the Mercer Street reconstruction has changed a lot of streets in the area. Make the next left on Valley St., then right on the end on Fairview and the next right on Mercer St. Mercer is now two ways as well, and the westbound directionality is new. All of this improves east-west connectivity and ties into the north end of the new SR 99 tunnel. At the end of Mercer, make a right onto Elliott Ave. There is new Clearview signage here for the port area. Make the next right and bear right onto the Magnolia Bridge. At the top of the hill, if it's clear we can stop briefly for a view of Mount Rainier. We then turn right on Thorndyke Ave. In about 2¼ miles, turn right on Fort St. and make two lefts onto Commodore Way. Follow it for half a mile to the parking on the right. We'll check out the locks and get views of the railroad bridge to the west as the sun sets.
Back to Beth's: Leave Locks stop around 6:00 PM.
Directions: Head back east on Commodore Way. Turn right at the end on Emerson (the 15th St. overpass is closed), make the next left on Gilman Ave., the next left on Dravus St., and then the third left onto 15th Ave. northbound. Continue across the bridge. About 1½ miles later, turn right on 65th St., then bear left on Linden Ave. in 1¼ miles. Bear left again, and Beth's is on the right in ½ mile as you get to SR 99.

Alps

Quote from: Alps on September 12, 2014, 07:15:09 AM

If you're not sure, reserve the tour. (That rhymes, so it is now this meet's slogan.) They let you cancel later.
If you haven't registered for the Alaskan Way tour, there are still spots open! We're doing the 3 PM tour on 10/25, register at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/Tours.

Post Merge: October 25, 2014, 11:22:11 PM

Quote from: Alps on October 10, 2014, 01:31:20 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 12, 2014, 07:15:09 AM

If you haven't registered for the Alaskan Way tour, there are still spots open! We're doing the 3 PM tour on 10/25, register at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/Tours.
Since I'm re-replying to myself, I'm assuming we're just the 5 that we have. See you guys Saturday!

Alps

Well, for those who care, the meet went off largely without a hitch. The timing was pretty close to what I anticipated, though intermittent rain dampened the locks stop at the end. Due to construction, we didn't get to walk the Montlake ramps; there was a security guy on watch, and they just erected fencing completely around it. We went for the best views we could get before they demolish the stubs. Thanks to Jake (and for driving), Kacie Jane and Kacie's two friends for coming along and making this a great day!

oscar

Caption?  I can figure out two of the five, but not the others.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on November 04, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Kaden, Jake Root, me, I forget, Kacie.

Kacie Jane

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on November 04, 2014, 03:23:16 PM

Quote from: Alps on November 04, 2014, 07:09:53 PM
Kaden, Jake Root, me, I forget, Kacie.

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 08, 2014, 06:07:22 PM
Kat(herine). :P

I guess it wasn't so easy to figure out after all, if "Kacie Jane" is a male.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

You know I've hit rock bottom in laziness when I can't even be bothered to go to the FB event.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on November 09, 2014, 08:21:53 AM

You know I've hit rock bottom in laziness when I can't even be bothered to go to the FB event.

Don't worry, you're still above me.

jakeroot

The unused ramp that crosses over the 520 has come down:

Pardon the granolas in the way...hehehe

jakeroot

Pardon the bump ... Google Earth imagery has been updated to show the now-demo'd RH Thomson ramp that split towards Montlake and the 520 (the most famous ramp given the completely-abandoned nature of it):

Imagery from the 19th of April of 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.