News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on June 06, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2018, 06:06:12 AM
Also mentioned this in the North Carolina thread, but the Raleigh News & Observer is reporting that the state won a Federal grant to widen two sections of I-95 (on each side of Fayetteville) and also upgrade two sections of US 70 to Interstate-grade.  The US 70 sections are "from the U.S. 70 Bypass near Selma east to Pondfield Road near Princeton, while the other section runs from a proposed interchange at Thurman Road, south of New Bern, to the planned Havelock Bypass."

:clap:
The grant is for $147 million. That's more than pocket change, but it won't come close to funding these four projects.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 06, 2018, 05:10:57 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 06, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2018, 06:06:12 AM
Also mentioned this in the North Carolina thread, but the Raleigh News & Observer is reporting that the state won a Federal grant to widen two sections of I-95 (on each side of Fayetteville) and also upgrade two sections of US 70 to Interstate-grade.  The US 70 sections are "from the U.S. 70 Bypass near Selma east to Pondfield Road near Princeton, while the other section runs from a proposed interchange at Thurman Road, south of New Bern, to the planned Havelock Bypass."

:clap:
The grant is for $147 million. That's more than pocket change, but it won't come close to funding these four projects.

True, but every bit helps. I've driven US-70 numerous times when I lived in Goldsboro and it wasn't fun, to put it mildly. 
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Here's NCDOT's press release regarding the federal grant, which contains a link to the project page:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15330

LM117

US-70 Corridor Commission has updated their site. The minutes of their February & May meetings have been posted.

February: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/February-22_2018-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

May: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/May-17_2018-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

The NC Board of Transportation workgroup reports for US-70 in Divisions 2 & 4 have also been posted.

Division 2: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/July-2018-US-70-Workshop-Division-2.pdf

Division 4: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/July-2018-US-70-Workshop-Division-4.pdf

Biggest thing of note is that a contract was awarded to upgrade the existing freeway between Dover and New Bern to interstate standards by repaving and widening the shoulders with a completion date set for November 15, 2019. It can be seen in the Divison 2 report.

Looks like I-42 got put in the express lane...

jcarte29

Go ahead and type up that waiver request lol.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

sparker

Wow!  A significant project (Dover-New Bern) that's only taking 16 months!  The facility probably doesn't need all that much (primarily inner shoulders, according to the GSV) before it meets standards.  Several months ago I opined that this stretch would likely be the last part of the I-42 corridor to be tackled since it's functioning perfectly well as a limited-access facility as it sits; but it looks like NCDOT is tackling a relatively "easy one" as part of the process (after their hassles with the Havelock bypass, I suppose they needed a bit of a break).  Also, it's possible that with preliminary plans for the projects extending from either end of this segment underway (Kinston & James City), they wanted to have a fully finished segment connecting them -- particularly if they planned on installing I-42 signage (may as well have as much continuous signable mileage as possible!).  In any case, it's nice to see that the push to complete the corridor is progressing reasonably well no matter what the strategy to do so entails.   

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on July 18, 2018, 09:49:20 PM
Wow!  A significant project (Dover-New Bern) that's only taking 16 months!  The facility probably doesn't need all that much (primarily inner shoulders, according to the GSV) before it meets standards.  Several months ago I opined that this stretch would likely be the last part of the I-42 corridor to be tackled since it's functioning perfectly well as a limited-access facility as it sits; but it looks like NCDOT is tackling a relatively "easy one" as part of the process (after their hassles with the Havelock bypass, I suppose they needed a bit of a break).  Also, it's possible that with preliminary plans for the projects extending from either end of this segment underway (Kinston & James City), they wanted to have a fully finished segment connecting them -- particularly if they planned on installing I-42 signage (may as well have as much continuous signable mileage as possible!).  In any case, it's nice to see that the push to complete the corridor is progressing reasonably well no matter what the strategy to do so entails.
I haven't seen this road in quite a while. Does it need resurfacing? It may be that if resurfacing is needed it just makes sense to bring the road up to interstate standards at the same time.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 19, 2018, 06:42:50 PM
I haven't seen this road in quite a while. Does it need resurfacing? It may be that if resurfacing is needed it just makes sense to bring the road up to interstate standards at the same time.

Funny thing is that when NCDOT resurfaced the short stretch of freeway in La Grange over a year ago, they did not widen the shoulders to interstate standards. Now, according to the Division 2 report I posted, a contract will be awarded in March 2019 to go back and do just that.

Classic NCDOT. :pan:

slorydn1

Compared to some other roads in the area not really, the mainline is pretty smooth most places. If it it wasn't part of this whole I-42 project I don't think it would be getting any attention for many years yet.

Now the exit ramps at Clarks, Tuscarora, and Cove City, they do need some work, they are quite bumpy and crumbling in some spots.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

sparker

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 20, 2018, 07:58:30 AM
Compared to some other roads in the area not really, the mainline is pretty smooth most places. If it it wasn't part of this whole I-42 project I don't think it would be getting any attention for many years yet.

Now the exit ramps at Clarks, Tuscarora, and Cove City, they do need some work, they are quite bumpy and crumbling in some spots.

Hopefully, this will be addressed within the parameters of the contract to be let for that segment. 

LM117

Due to the postponement of the planned September meeting because of Hurricane Florence, the next US-70 Corridor Commission meeting is November 15. For those close to the area who want to attend, it's being held at the new Maxwell Center in Goldsboro.

http://www.super70corridor.com

LM117

NCDOT has announced it's preferred design alternatives for upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between Princeton and the US-70 Goldsboro Bypass.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-31-us-70-upgrades-wayne-johnston-counties.aspx

slorydn1

Quote....The entire 6.7-mile project, with an overall $130 million estimated cost, has been accelerated. The department plans to obtain bids in December 2019 from design-build teams, with construction starting in 2021.....

Sounds like they are serious about getting started on this.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

sparker

Quote from: slorydn1 on November 01, 2018, 12:37:02 AM
Quote....The entire 6.7-mile project, with an overall $130 million estimated cost, has been accelerated. The department plans to obtain bids in December 2019 from design-build teams, with construction starting in 2021.....

If I were a NC officeholder, I'd be anxious to get another limited-access facility to the coast rolling ASAP -- considering the aftermath of Florence -- and the likelihood that with climate change such storms may become regular fare.  Having 4 continuous lanes for westward emergency evacuation without roadside incursions would certainly be appropriate and desirable. 

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on November 01, 2018, 01:02:59 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on November 01, 2018, 12:37:02 AM

If I were a NC officeholder, I'd be anxious to get another limited-access facility to the coast rolling ASAP -- considering the aftermath of Florence -- and the likelihood that with climate change such storms may become regular fare.  Having 4 continuous lanes for westward emergency evacuation without roadside incursions would certainly be appropriate and desirable.

I agree. I also think they need to start working on upgrading US74 to a 4 lane freeway from Wilmington to Charlotte so that Wilmington will have another evacuation route.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

Quote from: sparkerIf I were a NC officeholder, I'd be anxious to get another limited-access facility to the coast rolling ASAP -- considering the aftermath of Florence -- and the likelihood that with climate change such storms may become regular fare.

The fly in this ointment is that a majority of NC officeholders deny that climate change exists, and have (ostensibly in the "name" of Outer Banks tourism) actually passed laws banning the use or prediction of sea level rise in state policy.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on November 01, 2018, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: sparkerIf I were a NC officeholder, I'd be anxious to get another limited-access facility to the coast rolling ASAP -- considering the aftermath of Florence -- and the likelihood that with climate change such storms may become regular fare.

The fly in this ointment is that a majority of NC officeholders deny that climate change exists, and have (ostensibly in the "name" of Outer Banks tourism) actually passed laws banning the use or prediction of sea level rise in state policy.

It's not the climate change theory -- over which these folks you mention have buried their head in the sand -- or possibly in a rear-facing orifice -- but the actual manifestation of that theory, the hurricane(s), which have resulted in problems in that part of the state, which contain their constituents.  But you do raise a salient if ironic point -- the quest for tourist dollars that has prompted those cited laws may well provide an additional inducement for the construction of I-42.  Ostensibly planned as a commercial corridor to a potential post-Panamax port (try saying that 10 times in a row!), it could be "sold" as another improvement in the tourist-conveyor system from I-95 and the state's population centers to said coast; maybe it'll be done in time for them to see the outermost islands and beaches inundated first-hand! 

froggie

^ A bit of a macabre way of looking at it, but not necessarily wrong.

LM117

A public meeting is being held on Nov. 29 in La Grange to discuss upgrading US-70 between NC-903 and the Jim Sutton/Willie Measley Road intersection, including it's future conversion to an interchange. A map of the preferred alternative for that interchange can be found here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/R-5813-2018-11-29.aspx

mvak36

Interesting article about some design changes in the Princeton area for I-42 based on public feedback: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article221160605.html. This is for projects R-5829A/B
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

The US-70 Corridor Commission just posted the minutes of their July 19 meeting.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/July-19_2018-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

...and NCDOT gave an update on the projects along the corridor as of November 15.

Division 2: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/November-2018-US-70-Workshop-Division-2.pdf

Division 4: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/November-2018-US-70-Workshop-Division-4-002.pdf

NCDOT has also completed and posted it's feasibility study for upgrading US-70 between Edwards Road in Princeton and Buffalo Road near Selma.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1604A_Report_2018.pdf

bob7374

NCDOT released plans for the US 70 Havelock Bypass project to be let in February. The sign plans feature notations for future I-42 shields to be added to the pull through and ramp signs, an example:

The entire sign plan set is available at:
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/2019%20Highway%20Letting/02-19-19/Plans%20and%20Proposals/Craven_R-1015_C204177/Standard%20PDF%20Files/250%20Signing%20Plans.pdf

I have posted more of the signs with I-42 on my I-42 Exit list page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/i42exits.html

You will notice from my list that the exit numbers in the plans are closely duplicated by current exits in the New Bern area (verified by May 2018 Google Maps Street View images, which already have I-42 labels posted along the pavement). Is the future work to improve US 70 to interstate standards going to eliminate 15 or so miles from US 70's current route to account for the reduced mileage near Havelock?

LM117

So, rather than sign the Havelock Bypass as US-70 Bypass and leaving "˜vanilla' 70 where it is, they're gonna move "˜vanilla' 70 onto the bypass and create an unnecessary overlap with I-42? Typical NCDOT. :banghead:

I can sort of understand why NCDOT did the same thing in Clayton since I-42 wasn't thought of back then, but it makes no sense to do it in Havelock. The US-70 Bypass designations work well in Selma and Goldsboro, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work here.

I wonder if they're gonna pull this crap in Kinston too...

froggie

^ The plan to relocate US 70 to the Havelock Bypass and the Northern Carteret Bypass long predates I-42.  I recall that being NCDOT's intentions 10-15 years ago.

As for US 70 Bypass vs. vanilla, I personally think NCDOT has way too many 70 sub-designations...especially in Selma.  Confusing for non-local motorists.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2018, 07:10:07 AM
^ The plan to relocate US 70 to the Havelock Bypass and the Northern Carteret Bypass long predates I-42.  I recall that being NCDOT's intentions 10-15 years ago.

True, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have changed it, particularly now that US-70 was made a future interstate 3 years ago by the FAST Act.

QuoteAs for US 70 Bypass vs. vanilla, I personally think NCDOT has way too many 70 sub-designations...especially in Selma.  Confusing for non-local motorists.

The bypass designations could be temporary until they're decommissioned in favor of I-42 since there would be no real reason for the bypass designations to exist once I-42 takes over. Even with shifting vanilla 70 onto the Havelock Bypass, there will still be two different designations in Havelock since vanilla will become business. Keeping vanilla 70 where it is would be less confusing, IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.