News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Things every roadgeek should know

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 06:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jon daly on May 21, 2018, 02:45:55 PM
Is there a roadgeek dictionary? I know that clinching a route means driving or riding the entire distance, but what does it mean to clinch a county?

There's no dictionary because definitions vary.  For example:

Clinching a route: Most people are going to allow for getting off and back on at an interchange.  There may be a half-mile or so of roadway that you didn't clinch, but most people are fine with missing that short stretch of roadway.  However, exiting at Exit 29 and re-entering at Exit 30, because it's convenient to do so, is generally not considered clinching, even if the interchanges are only the same half-mile apart.  Also, driving a highway one direction is all that is needed by most for it to be considered clinched.

For counties, most are fine with just entering it; a few hard core people must go to the actual town and/or the courthouse or other principal building.

In the end, it's all on the honor system and your conscience; no one is going to know if you fully clinched something or not.  One example coming up: Many people have clinched I-295 in DE & NJ.  However, soon it's going to be signed into PA as well.  Some may feel that it's now 'unclinched' and they'll drive the newly signed section from US 1 (NJ) to the PA Turnpike (PA) in order to re-clinch it.  Same thing with the new section of 95 on the PA Turnpike, although few people have truly clinched all of I-95.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 21, 2018, 03:28:31 PM
In the end, it's all on the honor system and your conscience...

...or a signed detour.

US 89

Quote from: MCRoads on May 21, 2018, 12:36:33 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on May 21, 2018, 11:06:51 AM
Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2017, 05:27:01 PM
Things every roadgeek should know:

The way it's done in your district/state/country isn't necessarily the way it's done elsewhere, and that doesn't make everyone else "wrong".
Unless, of course, it's naming an Interstate highway as an "Expressway" rather than a "Freeway".  :biggrin:
Pretty sure they are synonymous...

In Utah, they aren't. Here, freeways are fully grade-separated highways with interchanges. The term "expressway" isn't used all that often, but when it is used it doesn't mean the same thing as "freeway". Expressway refers to roads with limited access (i.e. no driveways) and higher speeds but still have traffic lights and/or a few at-grade intersections, such as UT-154, UT-85, and the western half of UT-201.

Rothman

Is there a roadgeek dictionary? I know that clinching a route means driving or riding the entire distance, but what does it mean to clinch a county?

Clinching a route: Most people are going to allow for getting off and back on at an interchange.  There may be a half-mile or so of roadway that you didn't clinch, but most people are fine with missing that short stretch of roadway.  However, exiting at Exit 29 and re-entering at Exit 30, because it's convenient to do so, is generally not considered clinching, even if the interchanges are only the same half-mile apart.  Also, driving a highway one direction is all that is needed by most for it to be considered clinched.

For counties, most are fine with just entering it; a few hard core people must go to the actual town and/or the courthouse or other principal building.

In the end, it's all on the honor system and your conscience; no one is going to know if you fully clinched something or not.  One example coming up: Many people have clinched I-295 in DE & NJ.  However, soon it's going to be signed into PA as well.  Some may feel that it's now 'unclinched' and they'll drive the newly signed section from US 1 (NJ) to the PA Turnpike (PA) in order to re-clinch it.  Same thing with the new section of 95 on the PA Turnpike, although few people have truly clinched all of I-95.
You forgot the truly nutty: County high pointers and yes, it is a thing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2018, 06:16:14 PM

My life's a natural high, the man can't put no thing on me.

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on May 21, 2018, 03:26:53 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 21, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
The late Randy Hersh didn't think so. I once posted a question to MTR about the NYC-area freeway system, and Randy never missed an opportunity to be a jerk. He proceeded to lecture me that "freeway" was a California term and they are "expressways" in NYC.
Not to speak ill of the dead, but there's always going to be some who don't understand that sometimes there's always going to be exceptions to the rules, and sometimes...that the rules might actually be the exceptions.

I was one of the people that Randy Hersh was routinely abusive to.  He departed the Earth in a rather unpleasant way, to say the least, lung cancer.  I let all that go then and decided that I was not going to hold any unforgiveness in the future.  And I don't.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2018, 06:16:14 PM

Out west, where there are lots of mountains and not so many counties, it's reasonable if a bit hardcore. For most other places, though, there's a lot of "there are 10 possible highpoints and they're all in the middle of someone's farm", which is where things really go off the rails. It's one of the few completionist travel goals that's too far gone even for me.

SSR_317

Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2018, 05:00:30 PM

The way it's done in your district/state/country isn't necessarily the way it's done elsewhere, and that doesn't make everyone else "wrong".
Unless, of course, it's naming an Interstate highway as an "Expressway" rather than a "Freeway".  :biggrin:

In Utah, they aren't. Here, freeways are fully grade-separated highways with interchanges. The term "expressway" isn't used all that often, but when it is used it doesn't mean the same thing as "freeway". Expressway refers to roads with limited access (i.e. no driveways) and higher speeds but still have traffic lights and/or a few at-grade intersections, such as UT-154, UT-85, and the western half of UT-201.
They aren't the same thing anywhere, though some jurisdictions seem to think and act like they are. "US 89" (the member) is correct in pointing out the distinction, but left out one additional point: expressways can also have at-grade railroad crossings, freeways cannot.

Interstate highways (non-business routes) must, by definition, be freeways (except in AK & PR). My beef is with all the political jurisdictions that use the name Expressway on a highway that is designated as an Interstate, which creates unnecessary confusion for the motoring public. I know some were grandfathered in, where the route pre-dated the Interstate System, but there is no excuse elsewhere. If a non-Interstate route is upgraded from an expressway to a freeway (whether it is becoming an Interstate or not), and has the word "Expressway" in its name, I firmly believe it should be renamed accordingly.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSR_317 on May 22, 2018, 03:26:04 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2018, 05:00:30 PM

They aren't the same thing anywhere, though some jurisdictions seem to think and act like they are. "US 89" (the member) is correct in pointing out the distinction, but left out one additional point: expressways can also have at-grade railroad crossings, freeways cannot.

Interstate highways (non-business routes) must, by definition, be freeways (except in AK & PR). My beef is with all the political jurisdictions that use the name Expressway on a highway that is designated as an Interstate, which creates unnecessary confusion for the motoring public. I know some were grandfathered in, where the route pre-dated the Interstate System, but there is no excuse elsewhere. If a non-Interstate route is upgraded from an expressway to a freeway (whether it is becoming an Interstate or not), and has the word "Expressway" in its name, I firmly believe it should be renamed accordingly.

Local terminology differences. There's nothing saying Expressways can have railroad crossings.  Maybe in your neck of the woods, but nothing nationally.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 22, 2018, 03:43:12 PM
Local terminology differences. There's nothing saying Expressways can have railroad crossings.  Maybe in your neck of the woods, but nothing nationally.

In the last 20 years or so, the official FHWA definition of freeway (no at-grade intersections or private entrances) has become much more widely known and recognized.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2018, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 22, 2018, 03:43:12 PM

In the last 20 years or so, the official FHWA definition of freeway (no at-grade intersections or private entrances) has become much more widely known and recognized.

That may be the case.  But you can't defend your definition of "expressway" by stating the FHWA definition of "freeway."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 04:55:02 PM
That may be the case.  But you can't defend your definition of "expressway" by stating the FHWA definition of "freeway."

The official FHWA definition of expressway is limited access right-of-way and with at-grade public road intersections allowed but no private entrances allowed.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

the official FHWA definition of freeway (no at-grade intersections or private entrances)

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
The official FHWA definition of expressway is limited access right-of-way and with at-grade public road intersections allowed but no private entrances allowed.

Now that this has been settled, let's move on.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Sam

So a freeway fits the definition of an expressway. :)

webny99

Quote from: Sam on May 22, 2018, 11:23:42 PM

But not vice-versa, since freeways have additional requirements. As we've established.

kphoger

Um, no.  Freeways do not have the above highlighted features.
Male pronouns, please.

inkyatari

Illinois has / had a white sign that would be posted on the right of way of divided - multi lane highways that had occasional red lights that said "FREEWAY" with a bunch of other text on it.  I can't seem to find an image on Google.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on May 23, 2018, 02:20:28 PM
Illinois has / had a white sign that would be posted on the right of way of divided - multi lane highways that had occasional red lights that said "FREEWAY" with a bunch of other text on it.  I can't seem to find an image on Google.

Is it this one?

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

For what it's worth, here are the Illinois official definitions:

Quote from: 625 ILCS 5/1-123.5
Freeway. A highway or street especially designed for through traffic and to, from, or over which owners of or persons having an interest in abutting land or other persons have no right or easement or only a limited right or easement of access, crossing, light, air, or view by reason of the fact that the property abuts upon the highway or street or for any other reason.

Quote from: 625 ILCS 5/1-119.3
Expressway. A freeway with full control access and with grade separations at intersections.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Missouri had signs like this. There was at least one style, but I think they disappeared
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on May 23, 2018, 02:37:38 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on May 23, 2018, 02:20:28 PM

Is it this one?

Yep!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on May 23, 2018, 03:09:27 PM
Missouri had signs like this. There was at least one style, but I think they disappeared

This one was still posted last year at a roadside park on US-63 near the junction of US-136 in Lancaster.

Sam

Quote from: kphoger on May 23, 2018, 12:30:33 PM

Expressways are required to have at-grade public road intersections?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Sam on May 23, 2018, 05:28:22 PM

Allowed. Not required.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: Sam on May 23, 2018, 05:28:22 PM

Ah, OK.  By your reasoning, then, all freeways and expressways should instead be referred to as "___ Road" or "___ Blacktop".

Edens Blacktop, Bishop Ford Road ......
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.