News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best-Looking Freeway-to-Freeway Interchange

Started by mrpablue, March 05, 2018, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

The I-10/I-15 stack interchange in Ontario, CA is interesting in that it's quasi-symmetrical; EB 10>NB 15 and SB 15>EB 10 feature flyover ramps that diverge well before the direct-right ramps (EB 10>SB 15 and SB 15>WB 10) do.  The other two divergences (NB 15 and WB 10) simply split the ramp in two directionally.  This was likely done because the interchange was constructed after much of the surrounding industrial park (close to Ontario airport) was already in place, and Caltrans declined to impinge on their facilities any more than necessary.  But it seems to work rather well; the principal between-freeway movements (westward I-10/northward I-15) feature exceptionally long-radius ramps for both flyover (E>N) and direct (S>W) movements -- basically L.A. to Las Vegas for weekend recreational traffic and L.A. to I-40 points for transcon commercial use.   Icing on the cake: it looks nice from both ground and air.

roadman65

The I-410 and US 281 interchange near San Antonio, TX (north side that was built within the past couple decades) is neat.  I like the fancy brickwork that is on the flyovers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

I-110@I-105 interchange in Los Angeles is a nice stack interchange to look at along with Kellogg interchange in Pomona.

bing101

High Five interchange in Dallas is the best interchange.

architect77

Quote from: bing101 on May 13, 2018, 01:44:29 AM
I-110@I-105 interchange in Los Angeles is a nice stack interchange to look at along with Kellogg interchange in Pomona.

In the 90s it was referred to as "the 4-level"

architect77

Atlanta's Spaghetti Junction I-85/I-285 should get an honorable mention for it's elegant & sinuous flyovers and it's symmetrical qualities.

The concrete gets covered in dark algae in the climate though and discolors badly. It looks best when cleaned, painted as close to the color of new/white concrete as possible.

Bickendan

Quote from: architect77 on May 14, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: bing101 on May 13, 2018, 01:44:29 AM

In the 90s it was referred to as "the 4-level"
Which one -- I-105/110 or the Kellogg?

sparker

Of course, the original (1953) "4-level" was and is the current US 101/CA 110 interchange at the northwest side of downtown L.A.; at its peak, it carried 4 U.S. highways (6,66,99,101) and one state route (11).  Both the I-105/110 interchange in South Central L.A. and the "Kellogg" interchange (currently I-10/CA 57/CA 71) are classic "stack" interchanges -- but both with their own "twists" on the genre.  105/110 not only has full directional ramps for the general-purpose lanes for both freeways, but also full directional ramps for the HOV/express lanes as well; from the air it looks like exactly what it is -- a series of parallel ramps heading in all directions, while from the ground it looks like one is driving through a virtual forest of bridge bents!  Put it this way: it's a definite "poster child"; to road afficionados it's the arguable epitome of the most complete and (largely -- there's one loop ramp hidden away in there) symmetrical freeway-to-freeway complex ever built, or, to anti-automotive activists, a prime illustration of freeway construction gone amuck! 

The "Kellogg" (named after the hill up which I-10 climbs to the west) interchange is also a classic stack (minus all the HOV extras) -- but with an additional freeway (CA 71/the "Corona Freeway") coming in from the SE at a 45-degree angle to the crossing routes (CA 57 on the top and I-10 at the base), with access to and from northward CA 57 and westward I-10 (but not from the opposite directions except through surface-street connections).  It's a very "tall" interchange, being built on the side of a hill with I-10 running along the base.  It was also, until 2002, the eastern terminus of the signed I-210, which was cut back at that time to the CA 57/I-210/CA 210 interchange about five miles north in San Dimas (the circumstances of which have been extensively wrung out in other threads!).  Incidentally, back in the day (meaning late '60's), the Kellogg Hill grade on I-10 was nicknamed "Kill-off Hill" by numerous drivers (myself included) who commuted regularly over that hill in less-than-optimal cars (a lot of us were functionally impoverished students at the time), since overheating on the 6%+ westbound grade was a regular occurrence.  My '61 Chevy Bel Air "beater" was no exception; I tended to either head north to Arrow Highway or Foothill Blvd. or south to Valley Blvd. on my weekend trips home from UC Riverside to Glendale just to avoid "Kill-off" (the new CA 60/Pomona freeway wasn't much better between Pomona and Diamond Bar, and the I-210/Foothill freeway was being completed in small sections).  At least it gave me a chance to scope out all the In-n-Out locations (this was their "home territory" before their rapid expansion in the '80's) in the vicinity.   

riiga

I really like Interchange Kropp ("Torso") in southern Sweden. Simple yet elegant.

jon daly

Quote from: shadyjay on March 17, 2018, 05:33:46 PM
The "stack" in Connecticut (I-84 Exit 39A with CT 9) I always thought looked cool on maps.  It's the only one of its type in New England and was built some 30 years before a motorist got a chance to travel it.   Still today, it's only half-used, but a really nice design and how two interstates should connect with each other (originally intended for I-84 and I-291).

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7273377,-72.7703254,1571m/data=!3m1!1e3

I was at the Hartford road meet 10 years ago when we visited it. I think that you were there, too. It was the coolest one I recall looking at on our Sunday drives, growing up.

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kkt

The I-280/I-680/US 101 interchange in San Jose, CA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.