News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

One weird all way stop

Started by Amtrakprod, August 12, 2018, 09:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Stop foward and left yield right found in Michigan on the news.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

txstateends

Does the right yellow arrow blink or stay on steady?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Brandon

Quote from: txstateends on August 13, 2018, 04:32:32 AM
Does the right yellow arrow blink or stay on steady?

They blink, and it's not all that uncommon (at least in Michigan) where the route makes a turn at a four-way stop.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PurdueBill

Unsignalized but the same concept is very common in PA with the EXCEPT RIGHT TURN sign below a stop sign.  Sometimes the "right turn" isn't clearly a right turn.

roadfro

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 15, 2018, 10:56:53 AM
Unsignalized but the same concept is very common in PA with the EXCEPT RIGHT TURN sign below a stop sign.  Sometimes the "right turn" isn't clearly a right turn.

Your link isn't formatted correctly, so we can't see what you wanted to show.  :-/
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadfro on August 15, 2018, 11:19:27 AM

Your link isn't formatted correctly, so we can't see what you wanted to show.  :-/
Google Maps stupidity.  Gosh, I'll never get why they keep changing things.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7959226,-75.8867163,3a,15y,27.53h,87.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbQ8qWc0rehbGI951LnBaUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Bitmapped

PennDOT usage is a solid green arrow for the right turn in a situation like this, even if the rest of the arrows are flashing. Here's an example from US 62/PA 8 in Franklin city: https://goo.gl/maps/aakWF9Bet9K2

jakeroot

Is this setup OK with the FHWA? Seems odd to have approaches with both stop signs and signals. Plenty of intersections in Seattle where the side streets have stop signs, and the main drag has a signalized RYG crossing, but each approach only has one type of traffic control. Here (in both the OP and Bitmapped's example above), there are both signs and signals telling you what to do.

As a rough comparison, right turns at some signals have yield signs, but this is OK because the right turn is technically not part of the intersection (separated by either a porkchop island or pavement markings). In the cases above, the situation is nothing less than both signal and sign control for a single approach.

roadfro

Overall, I don't think it's compliant. But I think it might have been interpreted to maybe think that the setup is in the spirit of MUTCD. Starting here...

Section 4D.34 Use of Signs at Signalized Locations
Standard:
07 STOP signs shall not be used in conjunction with any traffic control signal operation, except in either of the following cases:

A. If the signal indication for an approach is a flashing red at all times, or
   B. If a minor street or driveway is located within or adjacent to the area controlled by the traffic control signal, but does not require separate traffic signal control because an extremely low potential for conflict exists.

...I would think of this situation as a beacon and not a traffic signal, but MUTCD technically considers beacons as signals and as providing traffic control when used as an intersection control beacon (4L.01).

However, intersection control beacons can only be circular red or circular yellow–no provision for arrows (4L.02). So the PA situation with the green arrow is definitely not compliant, but the OP's post with the right yellow arrow is more questionable.

But in reading section 4L.02 more clearly, it really seems like the intersection control beacon provisions are meant to allow only one color of flashing indication on an approach. So overall, the application, in my interpretation, is not OK.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 15, 2018, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 15, 2018, 11:19:27 AM

Google Maps stupidity.  Gosh, I'll never get why they keep changing things.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7959226,-75.8867163,3a,15y,27.53h,87.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbQ8qWc0rehbGI951LnBaUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The biggest problem with this is the approaches are marked "3-Way" Stop.  If you're going south on Newark Rd and want to make a left, you should reasonably expect the traffic on Newark Rd Northbound to stop as they 'turn' onto Jennersville Road.  There's a definite conflict there since they have a thru movement at the intersection which otherwise has an all-way stop.

PurdueBill

Indeed, passing through there a little more frequently longer ago than I do these days, there are misadventures because 896 SB traffic can see the back of the 896 NB stop sign and doesn't know that traffic going NB 896 to 796 doesn't have to stop--nothing tells them.  They could possibly stripe the "right turn" (which is really a straight movement 896 to 796) heavily to set it apart without an island or something, but at what point is it overkill?  The 3-way labels are a problem if not everyone has to stop.  This is like a shopping center entrance on steroids where they have 3-way plates on stop signs and it's up to drivers to figure out the one of the four that doesn't stop.  :P

The solid green arrow with otherwise red flashing doesn't seem to pass muster either.  The solid green arrow suggests that you just won't have any conflicting traffic possibly at all, pedestrian or vehicular.  Flashing yellow might be better.

TEG24601

It reminds me of some 4-way stop signs I would see when living in Oregon, that had under them "Unless Turning Right".  Always struck me as odd.

I've also seen them when the road makes a 90 turn, with a road branching off at the curve, with some similar message or "Straight Traffic Must Stop"
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.