News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rochester, NY Road Meet in late September 2010

Started by Dougtone, August 13, 2010, 10:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

2010 New York State Road Enthusiasts Meeting
Rochester

When:    Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 12pm noon   
Where:    The Distillery, 3010 Winton Road South; Henrietta, NY 14623
Agenda:    At The Distillery, we will meet, eat and greet. This will be followed by a roadgeeking tour of the greater Rochester area.

In the Rochester tour, we will be touring such sights as the new Sea Breeze Drive in Irondequoit, and we will also be passing by the future location of New York State's first diverging diamond interchange. Other highlights of the tour will include, but is not limited to, the Inner Loop, Can of Worms interchange, Interstate 490 reconstruction and more!

Map/Directions:    The Distillery's website kindly offers directions and a map through Google Maps in order to locate the restaurant, which can be found at http://www.thedistillery.com/contactus/distillery_sports_bars_brighton_location.asp. Best way to get to the restaurant would be to take I-590 to Exit 1 (Winton Road), and then make the short drive by taking Winton Road south to the restaurant, which is located in a somewhat large shopping center at the intersection of Winton Road and Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road.

If you are interested in attending this meeting,
please email us at dougtone#gribblenation.net (please replace # with @ to send mail).
You will be placed on a mailing list to inform you of any updates and changes.
Please RSVP by Wednesday, September 22, 2010 so I can call in an accurate head count to the restaurant.

http://www.gribblenation.net/meets/

hbelkins

I'm pretty much on the fence for this one. I'll have to choose between this one and the Texarkana meet the prior weekend. Unlike the Michigan-Poughkeepsie double dip I did last year, I won't be able to do both this time.

But the good news is that I am probably "in" for the Springfield meet if it's going to be Nov. 13. I'm off Thursday for Veterans Day and the following day will be one of my furlough days, so I'll already be off two days for travel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2010, 02:20:58 AM
I'm pretty much on the fence for this one. I'll have to choose between this one and the Texarkana meet the prior weekend. Unlike the Michigan-Poughkeepsie double dip I did last year, I won't be able to do both this time.

But the good news is that I am probably "in" for the Springfield meet if it's going to be Nov. 13. I'm off Thursday for Veterans Day and the following day will be one of my furlough days, so I'll already be off two days for travel.

Yes, Springfield is looking like it will happen on 11/13, due to some plans I made for the previous weekend.  I'll announce that shortly after the Rochester meet happens.  What I will say is that both the Rochester and Springfield meets will involve a similar amount of driving both in percentage and distance.

vdeane

I'm also on the fence.  The weekend looks like my fall break, so it's available, but at this point I don't know if there are going to be any honors trips or anything else happening that weekend, and I made the mistake of making plans last year and then having to move things around (including delaying an eye doctor appointment until December), so I'll have to make a decision later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

Quote from: deanej on August 14, 2010, 08:36:02 AM
I'm also on the fence.  The weekend looks like my fall break, so it's available, but at this point I don't know if there are going to be any honors trips or anything else happening that weekend, and I made the mistake of making plans last year and then having to move things around (including delaying an eye doctor appointment until December), so I'll have to make a decision later.

If you can make it, let me know when you can make a decision.

Roadgeek Adam

I can definitely get my way to Springfield. As for Rochester, I would need someone to drive me. I do really want to get to Rochester, since I will at that point have been on almost every x90 in some shape of form.

(EDIT: You know something happens when 790 is isolated in Utica and you forget it exists :P)

Anyway I have clinched 190, 290 and 990. I've been on most of 890 and some of 690. I need 390, 490, 590 and 790 basically.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cu2010

Aww, no Watertown this year? That's too bad (though, to be fair, there's not much up there right now...next year might be better for that.) Oh well...at least Rochester's fairly close, so it's not too bad.

If I've landed a full-time job by then(and, thus, have the money and ability to attend), I'd definitely be up for it. I'll let you know closer to the date.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Truvelo

I'll be in the US that weekend but it's 1800 miles from where I'm staying. One of these days there will be a meet that I'll be able to attend.
Speed limits limit life

vdeane

Quote from: Dougtone on August 14, 2010, 09:12:52 AM

Don't worry, the RSVP deadline is more than adequate for me to figure it out!
Quote from: cu2010Aww, no Watertown this year? That's too bad (though, to be fair, there's not much up there right now...next year might be better for that.) Oh well...at least Rochester's fairly close, so it's not too bad.
The bridge work for the interchange with I-81 is looking quite nice, actually.  They're just about ready to pour concrete for the supports.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

Quote from: deanej on August 15, 2010, 01:13:34 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on August 14, 2010, 09:12:52 AM

Don't worry, the RSVP deadline is more than adequate for me to figure it out!
Quote from: cu2010Aww, no Watertown this year? That's too bad (though, to be fair, there's not much up there right now...next year might be better for that.) Oh well...at least Rochester's fairly close, so it's not too bad.
The bridge work for the interchange with I-81 is looking quite nice, actually.  They're just about ready to pour concrete for the supports.

I went scouting around Watertown for the meet back in July, only to discover that no work had been done yet for the Fort Drum Connector.  Couple that with finding out that work has just started on the project, I decided it would be best to hold off on the Watertown meet until next fall.  So, I went with Plan B, which was to have a meet in Rochester or Binghamton.  Work hasn't been done on the Kamikaze Curve rebuild yet, so I decided to have the 2010 meet in Rochester, since there's a few projects just finishing up, among other things of interest worth taking a look at.

cu2010

Yeah, there's not really much in the way of construction up that way right about now. Only thing worthwhile are a bunch of old alignments of both US 11 and NY 37...many of the latter of which are underwater!

I'm planning on heading up to Potsdam sometime this fall for a Clarkson hockey trip anyways (and possibly even Lake Placid for the Halloween Face-off...two great Division I hockey games for $15, that's a freaking steal!), so it's no loss (and, since the meet is before hockey season starts anyways, it saves me another North Country trip).

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on August 14, 2010, 11:59:53 AM
(EDIT: You know something happens when 790 is isolated in Utica and you forget it exists :P)
790 isn't a real Interstate. :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

froggie

I'd rather wait until construction is complete on 781 (in a couple years) before going to Watertown.

A.J. Bertin

I am definitely planning to attend this one. I look forward to visiting Rochester for the first time and attending my first meet in New York.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Right now I'm leaning toward attending this one vs. the one in Texarkana the weekend prior, but that's subject to change.

Dougtone

We're a couple weeks away from the meet now, and I'm expecting everything to go off without a hitch.

hbelkins

I hope the weather is cooperative. What's it usually like in Rochester the last weekend of September? I remember Buffalo a couple of years ago was pretty cool and I was glad I brought a jacket.

burgess87

Darn, I wish I could make this one - unfortunately, I have class.

The Distillery is great - y'all will have a great time there!

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2010, 02:38:47 PM
I hope the weather is cooperative. What's it usually like in Rochester the last weekend of September? I remember Buffalo a couple of years ago was pretty cool and I was glad I brought a jacket.
It varies.  Recetnly it's been decent, but you might want to bring a jacket just in case.

In other news, I'm probably going to this (95% chance).  I should know for sure later today and I'll RSVP by email then.

rawmustard

Also, remember that (like Buffalo) Rochester is close to a Great Lake, so it's apt to generally be cooler than farther inland areas. I know that Labor Day weekend, I put on my hoodie although more because of the wind made the low 60s air temp feel a little brisker.

yanksfan6129

I'd still like to go to this, but I'm not going to be sure of my work schedule of that weekend for another week or so.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on September 13, 2010, 09:45:10 PM
I'd still like to go to this, but I'm not going to be sure of my work schedule of that weekend for another week or so.
If you do, I may ask to hitch a ride. I don't think my father could handle the trip anymore.
Adam Seth Moss

Dougtone

Quote from: rawmustard on September 13, 2010, 10:35:40 AM

Also, remember that (like Buffalo) Rochester is close to a Great Lake, so it's apt to generally be cooler than farther inland areas. I know that Labor Day weekend, I put on my hoodie although more because of the wind made the low 60s air temp feel a little brisker.

You're likely looking at temps in the 60s for late September, and possibly a bit breezy.  Bringing a jacket or hoodie along may be a good idea, but it's also possible that it may not be needed.

Dougtone

Forecast for Saturday is calling for high temps of 63 degrees and sunny.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.