News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Potential (and short-fuse) ICC meet

Started by froggie, February 07, 2011, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

As I mentioned in the ICC thread, the first segment of the ICC is slated to open on February 22, with toll-free operations until March 7.

This presents an admittedly short-fused opportunity to take advantage of the toll-free operations for a tour and mini-meet.  With the toll-free timeframe in mind (and assuming MDTA can accomplish opening by the 22nd), we basically have only two weekends where we could do a meet and drive on the new segment without paying a toll:  February 26-27 or March 5-6.

My preference is for the latter for two reasons.  First, it provides a "cushion factor" in case further weather delays prevent MDTA from opening it on the 22nd.  Second, I'm on duty the weekend of the 26th/27th, and already dropping someone off at the airport on the 26th which means I'll be late for duty as it is that day.

But I wanted to see what others thoughts were before I worked further on planning a meet.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2011, 01:13:31 PM
As I mentioned in the ICC thread, the first segment of the ICC is slated to open on February 22, with toll-free operations until March 7.

This presents an admittedly short-fused opportunity to take advantage of the toll-free operations for a tour and mini-meet.  With the toll-free timeframe in mind (and assuming MDTA can accomplish opening by the 22nd), we basically have only two weekends where we could do a meet and drive on the new segment without paying a toll:  February 26-27 or March 5-6.

My preference is for the latter for two reasons.  First, it provides a "cushion factor" in case further weather delays prevent MDTA from opening it on the 22nd.  Second, I'm on duty the weekend of the 26th/27th, and already dropping someone off at the airport on the 26th which means I'll be late for duty as it is that day.

Both weekends will probably work for me, but the later weekend (Mar. 5-6) will probably work better.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Ian

I'd prefer March 5-6, but either one is fine for me.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

In the same general area of the country, the New Jersey meet is the weekend after the March option. Neither are do-able for me, as it looks like I have a work function on Feb. 25, and I've already pretty much committed to going to NJ on March 12.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

yanksfan6129

The later the better for me. I need 3 weeks advance notice for anything these days because of work. If I can get it, then it's a go. So March 5th would work for me but I need exact notice ASAP. At this point, I really can't attend anything in February except MAYBE MAYBE the 26th if I know by, say, tomorrow at 3:00 eastern time the latest, because I have work at 4:00 and I'll be able to request the day off for that Saturday.

Alps

I'm definitely out for March 5. I could make the 6th, but since when is a meet on Sunday? (It's been done before, so I'll never say never.) Feb 26th or 27th is a possibility.

froggie

Sorry, Steve.  With my duty (plus airport dropoff) situation, and the general consensus thus far, I pretty much have to shoot for the 5th.  Unless someone else gives me a compelling reason today to make it the 6th.

Alps

My compelling reason is that I can only make it on the 6th, not the 5th (:

froggie

Hence why I mentioned "someone else".  If more people pipe up for the 6th, I'll consider it.  Right now, looks like the consensus is the 5th.  Definitely won't be the 26th/27th.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on February 09, 2011, 10:40:21 AM
Hence why I mentioned "someone else".  If more people pipe up for the 6th, I'll consider it.  Right now, looks like the consensus is the 5th.  Definitely won't be the 26th/27th.

The 6th works as well for me as the 5th.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yanksfan6129

6th works for me too. In fact, it may even be better, but it really doesn't matter to me.

Laura

Duke87

I would rather it be Saturday. It being Sunday pushes me into needing to get home at a reasonable hour so I can get up and go to work the following morning, which is a fun dampener.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

Interestingly enough, I will be driving through the area on March 4th on my way home from Massachusetts. Not really any chance of me staying another night so I can come home on the 5th though. If anyone's there on the 4th, however, I might be able to meet up with you.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 12, 2011, 02:10:21 AM
Interestingly enough, I will be driving through the area on March 4th on my way home from Massachusetts. Not really any chance of me staying another night so I can come home on the 5th though. If anyone's there on the 4th, however, I might be able to meet up with you.
When will you be coming through New Jersey?

froggie

Anyone else piping up in the 5th vs. 6th debate?  If not, I'll be deciding this weekend.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 19, 2011, 08:30:38 AM
Anyone else piping up in the 5th vs. 6th debate?  If not, I'll be deciding this weekend.

By "this weekend" did you mean the weekend you posted the above? Or this coming weekend?

IOW, any decision yet?

MDRoads

froggie

Normally, traffic's lighter on Sundays, so I've decided on the 6th.  What I also plan on doing is something different...do the tour FIRST, and then do a late lunch after with whomever is interested.  Gives a little more flexibility on lunch locations, plus those who want to follow me back south can check out Beltway HO/T lane construction status.

Alps

After all that, I'm tentatively planning to drive the ICC this weekend - but it would be at night. I'll probably get whatever sign photos seem appropriate, and if I can make the meet on the 6th (shouldn't be an issue), I'll video the drive instead.

hbelkins

Since you're doing this on Sunday, there is an outside chance that I could come. Where do you propose to meet up and what time?

froggie

Preliminary plan (subject to revision) is to meet at the Shady Grove Metro station before 10am, do the tour, then go from there.  Parking is free on weekends, so it should be a good jumping off point plus being near the west end of the project.

Duke87

Well, in that case, I definitely won't be making it. I'd have to leave before 5 in the morning to make it to Shady Grove by 10 AM. 
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dougtone

I'll probably pass on going to this meet, but if you can convince me to go to the meet, I'll certainly listen.

Ian

Yeah I don't think I can make this one either. May be next time.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.