News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Started by 74/171FAN, July 16, 2009, 09:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

Hmmm 16% in 8 years is 2% per year, just about inflation. Sounds fair as long as they don't do it every year.

I guess it won't be much of a problem, most turnpikes are for long-distance traffic which doesn't drive there on a daily base.

Scott5114

Jeremy will be upset that it will now cost him more money to get to his favorite McDonald's parking lot.

Speaking of which, that's about what OTA is–the McDonald's of turnpike authorities. You get no frills, no free map, no incredible time shaving shortcut, just a road, a random McDonald's every now and then, and 5 MPH more on the speed limit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 17, 2009, 11:03:38 AM
Speaking of which, that's about what OTA is–the McDonald's of turnpike authorities. You get no frills, no free map, no incredible time shaving shortcut, just a road, a random McDonald's every now and then, and 5 MPH more on the speed limit.

Wait, I could have gotten a free map from toll authorities of Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania?

I wouldn't consider the Kansas or Pennsylvania Turnpike routes any different, other than having the same speed limits as other interstates in the same state.  Both have a concrete median barrier instead of running the two directions somewhat independently or having an occasional forested median - since I have to pay just to use the road, I demand slightly better scenery.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 17, 2009, 11:03:38 AM
Jeremy will be upset that it will now cost him more money to get to his favorite McDonald's parking lot.

Speaking of which, that's about what OTA is—the McDonald's of turnpike authorities. You get no frills, no free map, no incredible time shaving shortcut, just a road, a random McDonald's every now and then, and 5 MPH more on the speed limit.

They used to have maps. Not great maps, but maps nonetheless.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

Quote from: US71 on July 17, 2009, 03:52:50 PM
They used to have maps. Not great maps, but maps nonetheless.

Now, not even their website seems to have maps.  I had to go to ODOT's website and find turnpike info among the official state maps.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 17, 2009, 02:06:02 PMWait, I could have gotten a free map from toll authorities of Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania?

You'd get a 2004 PTC map, which was the last one printed.

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 17, 2009, 02:06:02 PMI wouldn't consider the Kansas or Pennsylvania Turnpike routes any different, other than having the same speed limits as other interstates in the same state.  Both have a concrete median barrier instead of running the two directions somewhat independently or having an occasional forested median - since I have to pay just to use the road, I demand slightly better scenery.

Considering when the Pennsylvania Turnpike was built, they were looking at saving money including on land acquisition.  Besides, I don't think you'll find many forested areas of Kansas. :)

Scott5114

KTA recently rebuilt their rest areas. They're rather nice. At one point you could get a KTA-branded version of the KDOT map, too, but I don't know if they still do that. They also provide many motorist services that OTA does not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

You can get a free map on the Oklahoma turnpikes by asking for one at a toll booth.  Just a regular ODOT map, no special OTA version.

Alex

Quote from: bugo on July 20, 2009, 11:36:48 PM
You can get a free map on the Oklahoma turnpikes by asking for one at a toll booth.  Just a regular ODOT map, no special OTA version.

They handed out a 2008 ODOT map at the booth on the H.E. Bailey mainline booths south of Lawton today. The car toll for that stretch was $1.50.

There's construction on a four-mile stretch of Interstate 44 through Lawton too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.