News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-14 in Texas

Started by Grzrd, November 21, 2016, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

There used to be an upscale burger chain called Flakey Jake's.  Too bad they went down the drain.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bobby5280

Quote from: ThegeetI've never been to In-N-Out.

The Houston area now has 3 locations. It's likely that metro will get a lot more stores in the years ahead. The DFW metroplex has over 20 In-N-Out locations.

Quote from: Plutonic PandaWorth a try at least once. They have pretty decent milkshakes too.

Their milkshakes are made with REAL ice cream, not the weird processed stuff in so many other fast food chains. The difference can be tasted with the first sip. I don't get to visit In-N-Out very frequently. On any of my visits I'll usually get a Neapolitan milkshake (secret menu item) to go with my order.

On on road trip to Houston my girlfriend and had lunch at the Midlothian In-N-Out. I had a 3x3 burger, animal style fries and a Neapolitan milkshake alongside a soft drink. Then I got another milkshake for the road. We were about halfway between Dallas and Houston on I-45 when I had to let my girlfriend take over driving. All of those milkshake calories were about to put me to sleep!

Quote from: triplemultiplexIf you don't hit up a Braums while driving through Oklahoma, what are you even doing?

It's easy to take Braum's for granted when you live in Oklahoma. I love their "mixes," vanilla or chocolate frozen yogurt swirled with a variety of ingredients. My favorite is chocolate with Heath Bar grinded up in it. In some respects Braum's is a bit like Dairy Queen, except I think Braum's stores are bigger. We have a DQ Grill and Chill on the West side of Lawton; it's not as big as the 3 Braum's locations in town.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 27, 2022, 10:11:17 AM
Quote from: rte66man on February 27, 2022, 10:04:06 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 26, 2022, 10:50:47 PM
Some really good and less mentioned burgers I've gotten are from Braum's.

When Braums changed from a 1/3 lb to a 1/4 lb a few years ago, the quality dropped quite significantly. I know that before the change, Bruams butchered and prepped their own meat. Wonder if they still do that.
Do they not offer a 1/3 anymore? I could have sworn they still do.

It's hard to tell from their online menu.
https://www.braums.com/menus/burgers/

They only list the weight on the Deluxe as 1/6 lb.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

How much farther west might Interstate 14 have to be extended before the existing segment of Interstate 14 can stop using US 190 mileage exit numbers?

yakra

Anywhere west of the US190 corridor, I'd think.

Assuming I-14 will go to San Angelo, splitting from US190 at Brady to follow US87, that's about 99 miles.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Bobby5280

Most likely any near-term progress (within the next 10-15 years) at extending I-14 will happen within the Texas Triangle, mainly the Temple to College Station segment. The Heidenheimer to Cameron leg should be relatively simple to build. Then there's the bypasses for Cameron and Milano.

If I-14 diverts from Milano and goes direct to Bryan/College Station then it would rid itself of US-190 mileage that much earlier. If the route gets stupidly ping-ponged up to Hearne then down to Bryan then up to Madisonville (like it is on that planning map) then I-14 would be stuck with US-190 mile markers that much longer. And I-14 would suck a whole lot worse for being an idiotic "W" shape inside the Texas Triangle. Kind of like the zig zag stripe on Charlie Brown's shirt.

I think unless some political interests out in the Midland-Odessa and San Angelo area can do enough arm twisting I-14 will likely be built out in what every way manages to happen to Huntsville before we start seeing segments of I-14 get built West of Copperas Cove. They could finish Interstate upgrades to the South bypass for Copperas Cove easy enough. But it's going to likely be the sound of crickets pushing I-14 to Lampasas and beyond.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bwana39 on August 05, 2021, 08:30:14 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 05, 2021, 04:32:47 AM
Quote from: jbnv on August 04, 2021, 04:44:14 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on August 04, 2021, 02:03:44 PM
I guess this (I-14) might actually come to pass very slowly. 2050, 2060  for significant work beyond what is already there, maybe later for Louisiana , Mississippi, and Alabama. Few of us will live to see it.

LA 28 is already a divided expressway west of Alexandria. With I-14 on the book, Louisiana could expand the LA 28 / US 84 route from Alexandria to Ferriday to an expandable expressway. Ditto LA 8 west of Leesville to the Texas line. Then gradually upgrade the whole thing to interstate. Probably won't happen by 2060 but isn't inconceivable.

I still want to know how they get this through Alexandria/Pineville. Upgrade MacArthur Drive? Concurrence with I-49/Pineville Expressway? Full loop around Alexandria-Pineville?

I still say upgrading US 165/US 425 is a much greater priority. (After I-49 South and the Shreveport ICC, of course.)

I agree with you. I actually believe the I-530 / I-57 corridor to Monroe (or perhaps Rayville or Delhi) will be completed sooner than later. US-165 to Alexandria (the originally proposed route for I-49) or US-425 to Natchez  would naturally be the next step. I really see either routing skirting Monroe to the east so either (or both ) extensions are possibilities.  For Louisiana, Hurricane evacuation is a priority. Both of these alternatives facilitate that. I-69 does not (for Louisiana) nor does I-14.

They are building the bridge across the Red River at US-71 / 165 already. There is freeway from there to LA-28 and LA-28 is mostly built with room for frontage roads. Alex is not the problem.

^ Though unlike I-14 east of TX, I-69 have existing portions north of I-20, including the original section.

I should have been more succinct, I-69 between Lufkin and Metro Memphis. There are a lot of ways to route it. The route in Arkansas or Louisiana could vary by up to a hundred miles.

The original proposal for the Louisiana North-South Expressway did include a branch utilizing a lot of the US 165 corridor with the Pineville Expressway included (or, as an alternative, a full bypass of Alexandria) that would have reached I-20....but at Chourdrant between Ruston and Monroe, rather than through Monroe. When they decided to build the Opelousas-Alexandria-Shreveport segments as I-49 (and upgrade US 167 from Opelousas to Lafayette to complete that segment), the Alex-to-Monroe segment was orphaned and recommended to be built as merely 4-laning of US 165 with some limited access. That portion was subsequently completed with the TIMED program during the 80's. Alexandria-Monroe was never really a part of I-49 proper, just a spike in the overall proposed N/S project.

As Sparker said, I-14 could get really interesting as an alternative to I-69 or even a hurricane evac route for those escaping I-10, especially if it comes as far east as Alexandria and hooks up with an I-51/I-53/extended I-57 upgrade of US 165/US 425/I-530 extension. (Though, my preferred bang for the buck is full extension to I-10 east of Lake Charles.)

As for the routing in Texas: I sincerely hope they do avoid the temptation of pushing it south to Beaumont, and stick with a more direct new-terrain route paralleling US 190/TX63/LA 8, along with a more direct route that avoids zig-zagging through BCS/Temple. Upgrades to TX 6 and the 249 tollway could be sufficient for that area; and upgrading TX 71 to Columbus and US 290 through Austin will serve that area more than adequately.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2022, 05:11:08 PM
How much farther west might Interstate 14 have to be extended before the existing segment of Interstate 14 can stop using US 190 mileage exit numbers?

I thought I-14 used projected mile markers, much like I-2 and I-369 does in Texas.  They both use mileage from the zero milepost that hasn't been built yet.  This and since Texas doesn't have "mileage" in the traditional sense as other states due, opting for the dumb reference marker system.  US-190's  reference markers begin at 276 at its western terminus with I-10, some 300 west of I-14's milepost 300.  If it were using US-190's" mileage, that should be reference marker 576ish. 

The mileposts won't change until the entire route is finished west of I-14's current existing segment, when they figured out they were 5 miles short or long and need to re-post all the mile markers. 

kurumi

Article from 2019, but did not find it in search: https://sanangelolive.com/news/business/2019-04-10/conaway-files-legislation-extend-i-14-through-san-angelo -- "Conaway Files Legislation to Extend I-14 Through San Angelo"

The map at the top of the article seems like it was lifted from somewhere in this forum, with pasted-on markers for I-14, I-114, I-314, and I-514.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

longhorn

I would be happy with a divided highway( I-14) from Temple to Hearne

OCGuy81

Quote from: Rothman on February 27, 2022, 09:29:12 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2022, 06:14:08 AM

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
Five Guys >>> In-N-Out

If you're talking about the prices, yeah. Otherwise, quit being wrong on the forum. :D

Well, I'm not wrong.  But, to be fair, note that I've cherry picked the comparisons.  I have never been to Whataburger or Fuddrucker's (I worked with a devotee, though, but our local one got replaced by a Hooters).  I also am not saying that Five Guys has the absolute best burger out there.

But yeah, given all the hype, I have found In-N-Out to be a notch above Burger King -- a profound disappointment.

Then again, if only I could find a Big Kahuna burger, for that is a tasty burger.

While I'm sure there are Big Kahuna burgers out there, I'm pretty sure that particular one was made up in Pulp Fiction. Tarantino doesn't like product placement in his movies. You'll notice Red Apple cigarettes are smoked in majority of his flicks.

skluth

Quote from: kurumi on April 11, 2022, 04:57:19 PM
Article from 2019, but did not find it in search: https://sanangelolive.com/news/business/2019-04-10/conaway-files-legislation-extend-i-14-through-san-angelo -- "Conaway Files Legislation to Extend I-14 Through San Angelo"

The map at the top of the article seems like it was lifted from somewhere in this forum, with pasted-on markers for I-14, I-114, I-314, and I-514.

More on I-14 around San Angelo. Here's the graphic from the article.

bwana39

Lotta ground to cover in between the existing I-14 and the new (proposed) freeway loop around San Angelo.  Decades worth.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

longhorn

silverback1065

so it'll make it to san angelo in 300 years?  :-D

bmorrill

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 28, 2022, 08:19:51 PM
so it'll make it to san angelo in 300 years?  :-D

This forum really needs a "like" button.

achilles765

So I was just reading through the congressional designation for the part of interstate 14 in Texas again and some things stuck out to me

High Priority Corridor 84, the Central Texas Corridor, including:
* 84(A): Commencing near Loop 338 in Odessa, Texas, running eastward generally following I-20, connecting to SH 158 near Midland, Texas, then following SH 158 eastward before following US 87 southeastward, passing San Angelo, Texas, and connecting to US 190 near Brady, Texas. This proposed route has been designated "I-14 North".
* 84(B): Commencing at the intersection of I-10 and US 190 in Pecos County, Texas, following US 190 to Brady, Texas. This southern fork has been designated "I-14 South".
* 84(C): Following portions of US 190 eastward, passing near the central Texas cities of Fort Hood, Killeen, Belton, Temple, Bryan, College Station, Huntsville, Livingston, Woodville, and Jasper before connecting to SH 63 at the Burr's Ferry Bridge where it becomes LA 8 at the Louisiana border. This route includes a loop generally encircling Bryan—College Station, Texas designated "I-214".
* 84(D): Following US 83 southward from the vicinity of Eden, Texas, to I-10 at Junction, Texas;
* 84(E): Following US 69 from I-10 in Beaumont, Texas, north to US 190 near Woodville, Texas;
* 84(F): Following US 96 from I-10 in Beaumont, Texas, north to US 190 near Jasper, Texas;
* 84(G): Following US 190, FM 305, and US 385 from I-10 in Pecos County, Texas, to I-20 at Odessa, Texas;

This looks like there are 7 offshoots from the mainline I-14. For one, i really hope they don't actually go through with this I-14N and I-14S nonsense. The I-69 debacle is already kind of odd but also kinda unique but it won't be if they start throwing suffixes on every new route. I don't like the 14N and 14S stuff.

I think I'd prefer if the mainline stretch went from I-10, the current I-14S, and the I-14N route was designated I-114.

Then there is this already designated Bryan-College Station Loop which is already I-214.

But based on the legislation, there are also planned spurs along US 83, US 69, and US 96 and one along US 190, FM 305 and US 385 between I-10 and I-20.

So is the plan to make all these I-x14 routes? That would be kind of cool but it would make I-14 the interstate with the most auxiliary routes in Texas.
I'm thinking 
Corridor 84(B) and (C) as mainline interstate 14
Corridor 84(A) as interstate 114
The Bryan-college station loop is I-214
84(D) as I-314
84(G) as I-514
84(E) as I-714
84(F) as I-914

Hell they may as well come up with some loops to be declared I-414, I-614, and I-814.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

cjk374

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19223.0

This will fit here nicely.

If any state can & will create a new interstate, split into 2 halves, and 9 loops & spurs all ready to go all at once.....it's Texas.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bobby5280

There is no way all that crap is getting built. The best case scenario for the next 20 or so years: I-14 gets built from Temple to the College Station area and over to Huntsville. Texas has too many other priorities in other corridors with much higher traffic levels.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 24, 2022, 12:05:20 PM
There is no way all that crap is getting built. The best case scenario for the next 20 or so years: I-14 gets built from Temple to the College Station area and over to Huntsville. Texas has too many other priorities in other corridors with much higher traffic levels.

Just to the Huntsville area via BCS is ambitious. I see none of it being built. Just cause someone in Washingtondc suggested it and aren't gonna specifically gonna pay for it is ludicrous.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

Yeah, the whole I-14 thing is an unfunded mandate and arguably a pipe dream. So many other corridors in Texas are far more important. If the state of Texas is going to be on the hook for much of the cost hardly any of it will ever be built. There are far bigger priorities in the various major cities in the state as well as the corridors that directly connect them.

The way they have I-14 drawn on the map with all these spur routes and a I-14N/I-14S split out West it's as if they believe the corridor has even more traffic than I-10, I-20 or I-30. It's ridiculous. And the intentions are porky as hell.

Rothman

I don't see how it's a mandate.  Doesn't have to be built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

achilles765

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 24, 2022, 03:39:06 PM
Yeah, the whole I-14 thing is an unfunded mandate and arguably a pipe dream. So many other corridors in Texas are far more important. If the state of Texas is going to be on the hook for much of the cost hardly any of it will ever be built. There are far bigger priorities in the various major cities in the state as well as the corridors that directly connect them.

The way they have I-14 drawn on the map with all these spur routes and a I-14N/I-14S split out West it's as if they believe the corridor has even more traffic than I-10, I-20 or I-30. It's ridiculous. And the intentions are porky as hell.

As much as I would love for all of this to become a reality (along with many other pipe dreams, like an Austin-Houston Interstate, Interstate designation given to some of our current freeway routes), I have to agree with what you have said here.  It is kinda ridiculous;ous and likely incredibly unnecessary 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Bobby5280

I don't have too much of a problem with an Interstate highway that spans Temple, College Station and Huntsville. It seems like wishful thinking past that. Inside the Texas Triangle I think TX-6 from Waco to College Station should be a bigger priority since that is part of the Fort Worth to Houston corridor. I've often spoke about the need to upgrade US-290 from Houston to Austin to Interstate standards. TX-71 is another Austin corridor worthy of Interstate quality upgrades.

Texas has all these other corridors on its plate. The I-69 project is an enormous undertaking. Then there's the Ports to Plains Corridor (possibly future I-27). Laredo and the Rio Grade Valley have big populations that would be better served by a fully built-out I-2 corridor (also part of the Ports to Plains Corridor). US-287 from Fort Worth to Amarillo is another serious route in need of upgrades. The DFW metro has several regional corridors badly in need of attention, such as US-380 and US-82.

hobsini2

I could see maybe a corridor that would go from Midland to Beaumont being useful. But that can be achieved as just a regular 4 lane divided highway and have it assigned one number.
Something like Midland, San Angelo, Brady, Killeen, Cameron, College Station, Huntsville, Beaumont.
Texas 1, 2, 28, 38, 52, 58, 69, 88 are all open if you want a 2 digit primary state number.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.