News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 67 and US 287 future interstate corridors south of DFW?

Started by motorola870, April 29, 2019, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorola870

Why have they not gone ahead and at minimum renumber or duplex US67 from I35E to Ward Road in Midlothian TX as a interstate it is completely grade separated and they have a permanent Jersey Barrier installed. Also US287 maybe has 10 to 15 miles to finish to be interstate grade. They have finished a makeshift interchange at SH360 and they are planning on removing the last traffic signal between Fort Worth and Ennis in 2019 with an interchange being constructed at walnut grove/plainview rd. I know they need to rebuild the US287 business interchange at Waxahachie on the west side as it is a left entrance ramp with no dedicated lane. To be honest if they want to extend the interstate to I35W on US67 they would have to build a bypass of Venus and Alvarado as they have a duplex setup but it is heavily developed and in Alvarado they have the original 2 lane as a business route and the reroute is a 4 lane traffic signal laden road with stores and businesses.

Bobby5280

For the past couple or so decades Texas hasn't been very inclined at all to apply Interstate numbers to new freeways or toll roads in the state. There is the I-69 system (a pseudo-national effort), I-2 (arguably part of the I-69 effort) and the itty bitty stub of I-14. But a lot of new urban freeway and toll road projects in Texas have not gained Interstate route numbers. They've held onto US highway designations or even "toll" variants of state highways.

I would certainly like to see US-287 converted into a full blown Interstate from the I-45 interchange in Ennis all the way to I-40 in Amarillo. I personally like "I-32" for that. But chances are actually strong any conversion may just stay designated as US-287, especially if TX DOT has to scrounge up much of the funding itself.

It seems pretty clear TX DOT wants US-287 up to Interstate standards at least from I-45 at Ennis up to TX-114 at Rhome. Bare minimum it really needs to be an Interstate up to US-380 in Decatur. Past the other side of Decatur freeway upgrades to Wichita Falls and Amarillo won't be too difficult. Short freeway segments in Alvord, Sunset-Bowie, Henrietta, Iowa Park, Electra, Harrold, Oklaunion and Vernon will ease the upgrade burden. There's still several other towns along US-287 that will need new bypasses even if the entire route is never fully upgraded.

US-67 probably has less chance of gaining an Interstate designation, even if the road is completely converted to a freeway Southwest down to Cleburne. One problem is parts of the existing US-67 freeway segments are not up to current Interstate standards (narrow shoulders in some places and no shoulders on some bridges in South Dallas). On the bright side there is a decent amount of upgrade work happening (south of I-20).

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 30, 2019, 12:53:37 AM
For the past couple or so decades Texas hasn't been very inclined at all to apply Interstate numbers to new freeways or toll roads in the state. There is the I-69 system (a pseudo-national effort), I-2 (arguably part of the I-69 effort) and the itty bitty stub of I-14. But a lot of new urban freeway and toll road projects in Texas have not gained Interstate route numbers. They've held onto US highway designations or even "toll" variants of state highways.

I would certainly like to see US-287 converted into a full blown Interstate from the I-45 interchange in Ennis all the way to I-40 in Amarillo. I personally like "I-32" for that. But chances are actually strong any conversion may just stay designated as US-287, especially if TX DOT has to scrounge up much of the funding itself.

It seems pretty clear TX DOT wants US-287 up to Interstate standards at least from I-45 at Ennis up to TX-114 at Rhome. Bare minimum it really needs to be an Interstate up to US-380 in Decatur. Past the other side of Decatur freeway upgrades to Wichita Falls and Amarillo won't be too difficult. Short freeway segments in Alvord, Sunset-Bowie, Henrietta, Iowa Park, Electra, Harrold, Oklaunion and Vernon will ease the upgrade burden. There's still several other towns along US-287 that will need new bypasses even if the entire route is never fully upgraded.

US-67 probably has less chance of gaining an Interstate designation, even if the road is completely converted to a freeway Southwest down to Cleburne. One problem is parts of the existing US-67 freeway segments are not up to current Interstate standards (narrow shoulders in some places and no shoulders on some bridges in South Dallas). On the bright side there is a decent amount of upgrade work happening (south of I-20).

well I am thinking they will be upgrading from I20 to I35E in the next few years the road is just unsafe. Especially forcing a HOV lane down the road.

Henry

Seeing that I-69 is set in stone (along with I-49 across the border to the east), there's not much need for an Interstate along US 287. As for US 67, I might envision this as an I-31 or I-33, but for the time being, it's fine as it is, and thus I see no need to upgrade either (with I-35 doing the job).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rte66man

Quote from: Henry on April 30, 2019, 10:27:46 AM
Seeing that I-69 is set in stone (along with I-49 across the border to the east), there's not much need for an Interstate along US 287. As for US 67, I might envision this as an I-31 or I-33, but for the time being, it's fine as it is, and thus I see no need to upgrade either (with I-35 doing the job).

IMO, 287 from where it splits off from I45 at Ennis west to Amarillo should be an interstate. The amount of truck traffic warrants it.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

TXtoNJ

What's the point of changing the route number that's been around for decades if there's no longer 90% federal funding to charge?

wxfree

US 287 from Oklahoma to Fort Worth, and US 67 from Dallas to San Angelo and from McCamey to Presidio are on the trunk highway system.  This means that there's a long-term goal of upgrading them to at least four lane divided highways (although five-lane is an acceptable alternative for lightly traveled sections).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

sprjus4

motorola870

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 30, 2019, 10:25:22 PM
Isn't this best suited in Fictional Highways?

This is not a fictional situation there seems to be a need for an upgrade was curious if all of these bypasses since 2001 are for a future corridor. U.S. 287 used to only have 3 bypasses from interstate 20 to interstate 45. Now they have 4 and a major stack interchange in Midlothian with plans for future flyover ramps at U.S. 67 and U.S. 287. U.S. 67 business was retired in favor of BUS 287 and a portion became Spur 73 from south of town to BUS 287 and there is a flyover connector from Spur 73 south to U.S. 67 south. No southbound exit or northbound entrance. Also U.S. 287 is a designated Hurricane evacuation route to Fort Worth from Ennis.

The Ghostbuster

How about we just leave the existing designations on Texas highways alone, thank you very much.

sprjus4

Quote from: motorola870 on May 01, 2019, 04:42:46 AM

This is not a fictional situation there seems to be a need for an upgrade was curious if all of these bypasses since 2001 are for a future corridor. U.S. 287 used to only have 3 bypasses from interstate 20 to interstate 45. Now they have 4 and a major stack interchange in Midlothian with plans for future flyover ramps at U.S. 67 and U.S. 287. U.S. 67 business was retired in favor of BUS 287 and a portion became Spur 73 from south of town to BUS 287 and there is a flyover connector from Spur 73 south to U.S. 67 south. No southbound exit or northbound entrance. Also U.S. 287 is a designated Hurricane evacuation route to Fort Worth from Ennis.
There may be a need for it, but it's technically considered "Fictional Highways" on the forum if it's not a real proposal. If the roads are indeed designated as future interstate highways or there's official talk of designating them interstates, then I'd be wrong. But if it's just an idea, even the most realistic and reasonable concepts created by somebody on this forum, it's still considered to be under "Fictional Highways".

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

sprjus4

Quote from: In_Correct on May 01, 2019, 05:01:16 PM

No.
Do you have a link to the article or plan to convert US 67 / US 287 into an interstate highway?

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

AFAIK there are no specific official plans to apply Interstate highway designations to US-287 or US-67 in Texas. However various upgrades on portions of both roads in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are in progress or planned. If US-67 were given any kind of Interstate designation in the DFW area a Dallas to Cleburne spur would only be worthy of a 3 digit spur Interstate designation, not something like "I-31" or "I-33."

The US-287 project freeway upgrade project in Ennis is overdue. Hopefully they'll reconfigure the I-45/US-287 interchange sometime in the near future to replace that tight cloverleaf loop with a new flyover ramp. A couple projects are in the works to fill in missing frontage road segments along US-287 NW of the I-35W split North of Fort Worth to get rid of at-grade driveways and street intersections with US-287. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a plan to convert a portion of US-287 to Interstate quality on the North side of Decatur. If only they can get the portion through Decatur upgraded.

Quote from: rte66manIMO, 287 from where it splits off from I45 at Ennis west to Amarillo should be an interstate. The amount of truck traffic warrants it.

Why this section of US-287 isn't included in the list of High Priority Corridors is baffling. The same goes the for US-75 corridor going North out of Dallas to McAlester and the US-69 leg from McAlester up to Big Cabin. There's probably even more heavy truck traffic on that route. Anti-immigrant furor aside, there's still a great deal of commerce moving between the US and Mexico on the highways. The same goes for port traffic moving inland from the Texas portion of the Gulf Coast. Add to that 6 million people in the Houston metro and 7 million in DFW along with a couple major cities nearby in Oklahoma. That generates a lot of car and truck traffic on the connecting roads.

In_Correct

Quote from: TXtoNJ on April 30, 2019, 03:35:32 PM
What's the point of changing the route number that's been around for decades if there's no longer 90% federal funding to charge?

If they are not going to truncate or reroute U.S. 81, renumbering this other multiple designation corridor as Interstate 32 also helps. (I do not like multiple designations.)
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

splashflash

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 01, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
A couple projects are in the works to fill in missing frontage road segments along US-287 NW of the I-35W split North of Fort Worth to get rid of at-grade driveways and street intersections with US-287. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a plan to convert a portion of US-287 to Interstate quality on the North side of Decatur. If only they can get the portion through Decatur upgraded.

Quote from: rte66manIMO, 287 from where it splits off from I45 at Ennis west to Amarillo should be an interstate. The amount of truck traffic warrants it.

Why this section of US-287 isn't included in the list of High Priority Corridors is baffling.

Some open houses are scheduled soon:

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/us81-us287-wise.html 
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/052622.html

Proposed Improvements

Reconstruction from a four-lane rural highway to a four-lane, controlled-access highway with a grade-separated crossing at NRS Ranch Road
An interim project is proposed which will implement crossover improvements and add acceleration/deceleration lanes to improve safety ahead of the proposed project
The existing right of way width is 350 feet. The proposed project is anticipated to require approximately 1.35 acres of new right of way. Approximately 0.48 acres of temporary construction easements and zero acres of permanent drainage easements would be required. New denial of access would be required along the frontage roads from adjacent properties at new ramp junctions. Although additional right-of-way is required, no residential or non-residential structures would be displaced.

Construction cost

The anticipated construction cost is $39,500,000.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/us81-avondale.html
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/111419.html

Proposed Project Improvements

The proposed project would:

Add one inside mainlane in each direction
Construct new continuous one-way frontage roads
Convert existing two-way frontage roads to one-way frontage roads
The existing interchanges would be reconstructed. Willow Springs Road would be reconstructed to cross under the US 81/ US 287 mainlanes, an interchange is proposed at Heritage Trace Parkway, and Wagley Robertson Road would be connected to the proposed frontage roads. Entrance and exit ramp locations would be adjusted to provide more efficient access to adjacent land uses. Additional right of way and denial of access at ramp locations would be necessary to accommodate the proposed improvements.

The first project at Harmon Road and North Tarrant Parkway would construct frontage roads north of Harmon Road to west of IH 35W. The project would consist of one northbound exit ramp to North Tarrant Parkway, two southbound ramps to and from North Tarrant Parkway/Harmon Road. Bridges would be constructed at Harmon Road and North Tarrant Parkway, along with intersection signals

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 01, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
AFAIK there are no specific official plans to apply Interstate highway designations to US-287 or US-67 in Texas. However various upgrades on portions of both roads in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are in progress or planned. If US-67 were given any kind of Interstate designation in the DFW area a Dallas to Cleburne spur would only be worthy of a 3 digit spur Interstate designation, not something like "I-31" or "I-33."

The US-287 project freeway upgrade project in Ennis is overdue. Hopefully they'll reconfigure the I-45/US-287 interchange sometime in the near future to replace that tight cloverleaf loop with a new flyover ramp. A couple projects are in the works to fill in missing frontage road segments along US-287 NW of the I-35W split North of Fort Worth to get rid of at-grade driveways and street intersections with US-287. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a plan to convert a portion of US-287 to Interstate quality on the North side of Decatur. If only they can get the portion through Decatur upgraded.

Why this section of US-287 isn't included in the list of High Priority Corridors is baffling. The same goes the for US-75 corridor going North out of Dallas to McAlester and the US-69 leg from McAlester up to Big Cabin. There's probably even more heavy truck traffic on that route. Anti-immigrant furor aside, there's still a great deal of commerce moving between the US and Mexico on the highways. The same goes for port traffic moving inland from the Texas portion of the Gulf Coast. Add to that 6 million people in the Houston metro and 7 million in DFW along with a couple major cities nearby in Oklahoma. That generates a lot of car and truck traffic on the connecting roads.

High priority corridors are constructs. of multi-state coalitions in the US House of Representatives  and to a lesser extent the US Senate.  I-14 which likely will NEVER be built out is one of those. From Rhome to Amarillo is ONE STATE. A maximum of 3 Reps and MOST of it is in ONE congressional district.  While US-67 goes across a few more congressional districts the Alvarado to Presidio segment of US-67 is all in Texas too.

On the fantasy / not fantasy issue. I AGREE it is total fantasy (or wishful thinking) that there might be an urge to upgrade and label US -287 or US-67 as Interstate Highways. On the other hand, Texas is making incremental upgrades (especially to US-287) that will likely be controlled access freeways within a couple of decades.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

jgb191

I would be completely onboard with turning US 287 between Ennis and Ft. Worth into an interstate highway.  The main reason is to give drivers from the Houston area a direct route into both Dallas and Ft. Worth; much like drivers from Austin and San Antonio have direct routes to both. 

Another reason is if a driver from Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Abilene, or Ft. Worth wants to drive to Houston, that driver can bypass Dallas entirely instead of having to drive through both cities.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bwana39

Quote from: jgb191 on May 24, 2022, 12:56:13 AM
I would be completely onboard with turning US 287 between Ennis and Ft. Worth into an interstate highway.  The main reason is to give drivers from the Houston area a direct route into both Dallas and Ft. Worth; much like drivers from Austin and San Antonio have direct routes to both. 

Another reason is if a driver from Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Abilene, or Ft. Worth wants to drive to Houston, that driver can bypass Dallas entirely instead of having to drive through both cities.

As it is, US-287 is all freeway in Tarrant County. After you pass TX-360 (Toll) going southbound it is a lesser road (mostly 4-land divided with at grade intersections. ) I don't foresee an Interstate number, but probably full freeway within a decade or so to I-35E and perhaps I-45. Likewise for US67 from Midlothian to Alvarado.

Texas has no real romance with renumbering roads just because they upgrade them to freeway.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

It's a foregone conclusion US-287 between Fort Worth and Ennis (I-45) will be fully upgraded to Interstate standards. The road will still likely carry the US-287 label for a long time. The only way I see that portion of US-287 being renamed as an Interstate is if US-287 is fully upgraded to Interstate standards between Fort Worth and Amarillo. That needs to happen by the way.

Upgrade projects have been on-going with US-287 between Fort Worth and I-45. The US-287 bypass project for Ennis was recently completed (now visible in Google Earth btw). So that's all freeway now. The interchange with I-45 still sucks though. I can't stand tight cloverleaf loop for SB US-287 to NB-I-45. That's a tight loop. Another short upgrade project just East of Midlothian was just finished. There was a traffic light on US-287 at Plainview Road. That's now a freeway exit.

There are still plenty of at-grade intersections and driveways connecting directly to the US-287 main lanes between Mansfield and Ennis. Slowly each one is being chipped away. A major expansion project is planned for the junction of US-287, I-20 and I-820. I think once that is finished it will put a lot more pressure on finishing upgrade work with US-287 farther South to Ennis.

Meanwhile US-287 going North of Fort Worth is just as much a problem. At least some upgrade work has been taking place. But certain zones are getting dicey, such as US-287 inside Decatur and just North of that town. Motorists have to pay attention going through there. Lots and lots of store front driveways as well as some streets connect directly to the US-287 main lanes. There is still a traffic signal at Old Chico Road. US-287 inside Decatur is a mess. And it's not much better a couple or so miles North of there. All that trash needs to be fixed.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM
The interchange with I-45 still sucks though. I can't stand tight cloverleaf loop for SB US-287 to NB-I-45. That's a tight loop.
Truly though, how much traffic is using that movement?

And additionally, that's a relatively large radius loop holding a 35 mph design speed. It seems plenty fine. Besides possibly widening the ramps between I-45 North and US-287 and vice versa (the major movement) from 1 to 2 lanes, I'd say it's an adequate interchange.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: splashflash on May 23, 2022, 10:11:42 AM

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/us81-avondale.html
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/111419.html

Proposed Project Improvements

The proposed project would:

Add one inside mainlane in each direction
Construct new continuous one-way frontage roads
Convert existing two-way frontage roads to one-way frontage roads
The existing interchanges would be reconstructed. Willow Springs Road would be reconstructed to cross under the US 81/ US 287 mainlanes, an interchange is proposed at Heritage Trace Parkway, and Wagley Robertson Road would be connected to the proposed frontage roads. Entrance and exit ramp locations would be adjusted to provide more efficient access to adjacent land uses. Additional right of way and denial of access at ramp locations would be necessary to accommodate the proposed improvements.

The first project at Harmon Road and North Tarrant Parkway would construct frontage roads north of Harmon Road to west of IH 35W. The project would consist of one northbound exit ramp to North Tarrant Parkway, two southbound ramps to and from North Tarrant Parkway/Harmon Road. Bridges would be constructed at Harmon Road and North Tarrant Parkway, along with intersection signals

Thank you for posting the links. 

I'm quite happy that TXDOT will replace those cheap, lazy, stupid, undercapacity roundabouts on Bonds Ranch Road.  The east side ones aren't too bad, but the west one is tiny radius one lane joke.  It frequently bogs down, and with 3 dozen long trains a day blocking the adjacent crossing the backup can take 10+ minutes to clear out.  But par for the course in poorly planned north Tarrant County and north Fort Worth.  Not sure why the whole area is such a disjointed cluster, years behind on keeping with the massive growth they've been encouraging.  The south and west sides of the city and county have handled growth and road expansion pretty well, so it is inexcusable why the north side is so botched.   

More good news seeing that they'll finally connect Heritage Trace Pky across 287 (though again, the city and county have let developers build out further west without connecting and extending Heritage TP.  Doesn't look like they have room for a bridge over the railroad tracks a couple of miles to the west, given the home and street layout already built.  There is zero chance the RR will allow conventional road crossing, as that is one of the few places where they can park trains for hours waiting to get into their Haslet yard.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/ftw/us81-us287/111419-presentation.pdf

Interesting options to correct the botched N. Tarrant Pky.  Harmon Rd interchange with 287.  Any of them but the admittedly low capacity roundabouts that are inappropriate for such an increasingly high volume set of roads.  Don't repeat the Bonds Ranch mistake!

Though I'm guessing it will drag out as long or longer than the many years snail's pace expansion of Blue Mound Rd.

ethanhopkin14

What’s the point of changing the route number that’s been around for decades if there’s no longer 90% federal funding to charge?

As I have said about other Texas corridors that need interstate upgrades, labeling it as an interstate forces TxDOT's hand is why.  If you say "US-287 needs to be a freeway between Amarillo and Ennis", TxDOT will put some bypasses, make some grade-separated intersections, but leave the driveways directly connecting the highway and leave the sharp curves and blind hills.  Texas is real bad about trying to throw together a poor man's freeway.  It would be an expressway, but still inadequate for long haul trucking.  Forcing it to have an interstate designation forces interstate quality.  They can talk all they want about saying they want to upgrade US-287 to interstate standards, but if there is a corner to cut, they will cut it.  Giving it an interstate designation holds their feet to the fire.

My vote is also Interstate 32.   

roadman65

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 25, 2022, 01:49:43 PM

As I have said about other Texas corridors that need interstate upgrades, labeling it as an interstate forces TxDOT's hand is why.  If you say "US-287 needs to be a freeway between Amarillo and Ennis", TxDOT will put some bypasses, make some divided intersections, but leave the driveways directly connecting the highway and leave the sharp curves and blind hills.  Texas is real bad about trying to throw together a poor man's freeway.  It would be an expressway, but still inadequate for long haul trucking.  Forcing it to have an interstate designation forces interstate quality.  They can talk all they want about saying they want to upgrade US-287 to interstate standards, but if there is a corner to cut, they will cut it.  Giving it an interstate designation holds their feet to the fire.

My vote is also Interstate 32.   

Sounds like WV. That is why the expressway upgrade along the I-73/74 corridor near the KY Line and The whole US 48 thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.