News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MoDOT's Lettered Highways

Started by US71, November 14, 2019, 10:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: skluth on December 29, 2019, 01:54:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2019, 03:44:06 AM
Another article I've read states that R is reserved for recreational routes. So theoretically RB, RC, etc. could exist, but most counties don't have a need for more than one R road, so RA is the one you see the most.

Routes with two different letters are rarer than you might think.

Wisconsin didn't use L and R for years because drivers might confuse it for left and right direction indicators. The CTH R between Green Bay and Manitowoc used to be US 141 and is a relatively recent change to the system. It was mentioned above that MO didn't L either because it could be confused with a number, but I wouldn't be surprised if L and R weren't used because one idiot somewhere might get confused.
Even L isn't used much in Wisconsin at least not by it's self. There are a few routes where it's paired with another letter like LO in Waukesha County in honor of Lloyd Owens and DL which stand for Devil's Lake.

Gnutella

Are there any controlled-access highways with letters? That'd be neat. :spin:

Scott5114

Quote from: Gnutella on March 12, 2020, 03:46:07 AM

It's not a full freeway, but Route M in Jefferson County is divided and has some interchanges.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2020, 05:39:21 AM

It's not a full freeway, but Route M in Jefferson County is divided and has some interchanges.

Route O in Pulaski County, Missouri is divided, but only one full interchange I think.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

Quote from: US71 on March 12, 2020, 09:03:02 AM
Route O in Pulaski County, Missouri is divided, but only one full interchange I think.

Pulaski County?  Only interchanges I can think of in that county are on I-44.

Route D/Page Avenue in St. Louis County has a short one interchange freeway section from I-270 to Schuetz Road.  IIRC MoDOT has hinted at an unfunded desire to upgrade it to a freeway to US 67.

bugo

Route W (Bannister Road) in Jackson County is a really ghetto freeway for a short distance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.