News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NASCAR

Started by kenarmy, February 12, 2021, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 17, 2023, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 17, 2023, 06:26:47 AM
Quote from: Konza on June 17, 2023, 03:06:53 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2023, 12:20:04 AM
Hasn't Chicagoland been torn down?

It has not.  They've announced that some of the land around it is for sale for redevelopment as an industrial park, but they haven't done anything with the speedway itself.

I have heard that the track is still race ready based on videos I have watched on YouTube from The Iceberg the last couple years.

So if the street course doesn't work out, maybe they can return to Chicagoland in 2024 and keep a race in America's third largest metro area. Chicagoland did have some good racing, look at the 2018 finish between Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson.

The problem with Chicagoland is that it's a 1.5 mile oval that's just like the dozens of other 1.5 mile ovals out there. They should think about making it smaller.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dough4872

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 17, 2023, 10:07:20 AM
Quote from: Dough4872 on June 17, 2023, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 17, 2023, 06:26:47 AM
Quote from: Konza on June 17, 2023, 03:06:53 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2023, 12:20:04 AM
Hasn't Chicagoland been torn down?

It has not.  They've announced that some of the land around it is for sale for redevelopment as an industrial park, but they haven't done anything with the speedway itself.

I have heard that the track is still race ready based on videos I have watched on YouTube from The Iceberg the last couple years.

So if the street course doesn't work out, maybe they can return to Chicagoland in 2024 and keep a race in America's third largest metro area. Chicagoland did have some good racing, look at the 2018 finish between Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson.

The problem with Chicagoland is that it's a 1.5 mile oval that's just like the dozens of other 1.5 mile ovals out there. They should think about making it smaller.

There's nothing wrong with the 1.5 mile tracks, they have put on good racing lately with the next gen car. On the other hand, short track races have been kind of boring lately.

74/171FAN

I guess with a XFinity race being called before halfway that the Chicago Street Race weekend has officially had worse weather than Brandon's road meet last summer.  Hopefully, like Brandon's road meet, that the weather will dry out as the day continues.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

epzik8

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 02, 2023, 01:50:46 PM
I guess with a XFinity race being called before halfway that the Chicago Street Race weekend has officially had worse weather than Brandon's road meet last summer.  Hopefully, like Brandon's road meet, that the weather will dry out as the day continues.

Sounds like that's not the case as now the Cup race is in a holding pattern.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

rickmastfan67

What an amazing finish to the Cup race in Chicago!  Congrats to Shane van Gisbergen in his first ever Cup race!  First person in 60 years to win their first race in Cup!!

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1675678062451605506

Max Rockatansky

So much for the naysayers thinking the street race would be a dud.  I really enjoyed the race today even before it got a great finish.

epzik8

That race turned the weekend around just like that. I'm glad to see it.

Dough4872

I will have to say the Chicago street race was a great race despite all the weather issues. I hope they come back again and hopefully will consider street races in other cities such as Philly and NYC.

WillWeaverRVA

That Cup race was amazing and Shane van Gisbergen is a hell of a driver. I really hope Trackhouse puts him in the #91 for Watkins Glen.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Ted$8roadFan

I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but I also enjoyed the Chicago street race last evening. Kind of like the Field of Dreams game in MLB and the Winter Classic in hockey. NASCAR should continue this type of racing.

hbelkins

Anyone else think SVG should run in the Chase? Technically, he qualifies, right?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on July 03, 2023, 11:04:40 AM
Anyone else think SVG should run in the Chase? Technically, he qualifies, right?

No, because he does not have a waiver due to being a part-time driver.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 03, 2023, 11:15:56 AM

Yeah, part-time drivers aren't eligible for waivers, and there's no way he'll finish in the top 30 in points so he wouldn't be eligible otherwise.

I'd really love to see SVG run the #91 at Watkins Glen next month. I watched some video of his V8 Supercars races on more traditional road courses and I'd love to see him there (especially considering the Glen is my favorite road course in Cup).
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

The top 30 in points rule has been removed by NASCAR for this season.  It has been called by some as the "Corey Lajoie" rule due to him almost winning at Atlanta Superspeedway despite not being Top 30 in points.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 03, 2023, 11:18:52 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 03, 2023, 11:15:56 AM

Yeah, part-time drivers aren't eligible for waivers, and there's no way he'll finish in the top 30 in points so he wouldn't be eligible otherwise.

I'd really love to see SVG run the #91 at Watkins Glen next month. I watched some video of his V8 Supercars races on more traditional road courses and I'd love to see him there (especially considering the Glen is my favorite road course in Cup).

I'd be curious to see what he could do in a full time Cup ride.  I say that because when he was asked in the post race interview he gave a surprisingly honest answer about being interested after next year.  A lot of the road course guys do kinda okay at best in Cup full time historically.  Supercars spec-wise probably is one of the more similar series to what NASCAR Cup is internationally. 

WillWeaverRVA

On another note, did anyone else realize that the braking guide signs ("700", "600", "500", etc) were US route shields with orange tape around the edges? :D
Will Weaver

1995hoo

Quote from: Dough4872 on July 03, 2023, 12:30:42 AM
I will have to say the Chicago street race was a great race despite all the weather issues. I hope they come back again and hopefully will consider street races in other cities such as Philly and NYC.

I found myself thinking of F1's failed effort to run on a street circuit in Weehawken, New Jersey, and I found myself thinking I'd like to see NASCAR try that because of the major elevation change due to the cliffs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dough4872

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 03, 2023, 01:19:43 PM
On another note, did anyone else realize that the braking guide signs ("700", "600", "500", etc) were US route shields with orange tape around the edges? :D

Yeah I noticed, Bob Pockrass tweeted a picture of them this weekend.

Dough4872

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2023, 01:35:34 PM

I found myself thinking of F1's failed effort to run on a street circuit in Weehawken, New Jersey, and I found myself thinking I'd like to see NASCAR try that because of the major elevation change due to the cliffs.

I would love to see NASCAR do the street course in Weehawken that F1 once planned to do. Would offer great views of NYC and be a great way to get NASCAR into America's largest media market and attempt to gain new fans.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Dough4872 on July 03, 2023, 02:10:13 PM

I would love to see NASCAR do the street course in Weehawken that F1 once planned to do. Would offer great views of NYC and be a great way to get NASCAR into America's largest media market and attempt to gain new fans.

NASCAR has talked about doing a street race in the NYC area for years. I bet that after the success of the Chicago race, this will happen sooner rather than later.
Will Weaver

NWI_Irish96

If NASCAR had this many road/street courses back when Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart were driving, they'd both have a lot more wins and probably more championships.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 03, 2023, 10:02:38 AM
I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but I also enjoyed the Chicago street race last evening. Kind of like the Field of Dreams game in MLB and the Winter Classic in hockey. NASCAR should continue this type of racing.

This has been NASCAR's goal all along with their experimentation with new race layouts and markets.

Henry

Even though I wish NASCAR were still racing at Chicagoland Speedway, I really enjoyed the street race in downtown Chicago.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 03, 2023, 02:20:59 PM
Quote from: Dough4872 on July 03, 2023, 02:10:13 PM

NASCAR has talked about doing a street race in the NYC area for years. I bet that after the success of the Chicago race, this will happen sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't be opposed to them racing in Washington, DC either (with Baltimore as a backup if that can't be done). And several other cities that don't have a dedicated speedway could use a street race too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 03, 2023, 01:19:43 PM

I saw that too.  Thought it was pretty dope!

And I just went digging in his Twitter timeline, and here's two shots of them (first is a 200, second is an 800, third is 400).

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1675128710154838017

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1675115506922143744

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1674759872678699008

And here's a video of them, starting @ 700.

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1674824718430486548

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on July 03, 2023, 10:53:47 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to them racing in Washington, DC either (with Baltimore as a backup if that can't be done). And several other cities that don't have a dedicated speedway could use a street race too.

I've thought it would be neat to have a street race in DC that runs along Independence Avenue across the bridge over the Tidal Basin, turns right either via Maine Avenue or 14th Street to go over the 14th Street Bridge, exits right onto the GW Parkway, exits left to Memorial Circle, and crosses back into DC to Independence Avenue again. It'll never happen and I have no idea where they'd put the pit lane, but you talk about a great made-for-TV publicity stunt street circuit.

Edited to add: The ideal place for a temporary pit lane would be to modify the above course to exit the highway via Boundary Channel Drive and then use the Pentagon North Parking for the pits, but I cant imagine the Defense Department cooperating with that idea.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.