News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Question About US 77 & NE\IA 2 Between I-80 & I-29

Started by Route66Fan, July 05, 2022, 02:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

I've noticed that, over the years, Nebraska & Iowa have been upgrading this highway from 2 lanes to 4 lanes. I also see that there is a bypass being built around the South side of Lincoln, NE, that connects NE 2 with US 77. Are Nebraska & Iowa planning on upgrading this route to interstate standards, or are they keeping this route as an expressway? If it does become an interstate, I can see it becoming something like I-580. What do you all think? I was on parts of this route, back in 1998. At that time, some sections, like one near Syracuse, NE, were still 2 lanes.

mrose

The first priority I think would be to remove the remaining at grades on 77 at Pioneers Blvd, Old Cheney Rd and Warlick Blvd (which is an old alignment of 77). I think there is also one at-grade left in Nebraska City and the I-29 interchange is a diamond.

I don't see NE 2 becoming a full freeway for the entire length for a very long time, if at all.... Nebraska is behind on a lot of expressway projects elsewhere in the state.

Should they complete the upgrades to 77 and build the east beltway, then perhaps the completed loop around Lincoln could get an x80, but that is probably a dicussion that belongs in fictional.

I haven't lived or even visited Lincoln in years but I never felt like NE 2 was interstate material.... but I never thought I'd ever see the beltway built.

Fredddie

Quote from: mrose on July 05, 2022, 09:57:41 AM
I haven't lived or even visited Lincoln in years but I never felt like NE 2 was interstate material.... but I never thought I'd ever see the beltway built.

On its face it doesn't seem like it, but it's a handy connector that avoids Omaha.  I can see the appeal for truckers.

zzcarp

Per the NDOT site, it's just shown as part of their expressway program and entirely completed but for the beltway under construction. I'm guessing there are many higher priorities out there for NDOT to tackle.

I've used NE 2/IA 2 from I-80 to I-29 as part of my cross-country trips from Denver to Ohio, picking up US 36 at St Joseph to I-72 to I-74 to Indianapolis. I found it a good alternative to taking I-70 from Denver with far less traffic.

NE 2 is basically free-flowing as is past Lincoln, and, except for the 75mph speed limit for a freeway, I don't see much reason for additional upgrades as it's a highly functioning corridor in my view.
So many miles and so many roads

skluth

Quote from: Fredddie on September 30, 2022, 01:58:57 AM

On its face it doesn't seem like it, but it's a handy connector that avoids Omaha.  I can see the appeal for truckers.

About 20 years ago I took NE 2 from I-29 to Lincoln on my way from St Louis to the Black Hills. It was a new expressway then, so it was wonderful to drive. I'm sure it's a popular route for truckers as it not only avoids Omaha, but it and I-29/435 make a great connector between I-80 and I-70 for trucks traveling cross-country wanting to avoid Chicago.

rte66man

The first priority I think would be to remove the remaining at grades on 77 at Pioneers Blvd, Old Cheney Rd and Warlick Blvd (which is an old alignment of 77). I think there is also one at-grade left in Nebraska City...

There are a number of them near NE City:

• Steinhart Park Road
  • Access to State Patrol complex
  • South 3rd Road
  • South 3rd St
  • Ivy Road
  • Valmont Drive
That doesn't include the large # of at-grades between NE City and Lincoln.

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

I seem to recall a Highway 2 freeway upgrade between Lincoln and Nebraska City being proposed a few years ago as a 'Build Nebraska' project but not getting selected. I seem to also recall it getting some opposition.

The upgrades for US 77 between the South Beltway interchange and the current Highway 2/Van Dorn Street Interchange appears to be waiting for funding - see https://dot.nebraska.gov/projects/bna/first10/fy-2020-2023/lincoln-west-beltway/

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.