News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Other National Chains That Are Shells Of Their Former Selfs.

Started by thenetwork, August 09, 2022, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 12, 2022, 06:49:48 AM
Olive Garden microwaves pasta. Enough said.

Do you'all know if Olive Garden (or any other Italian chain) uses pre-packaged pasta for microwave heating?  I won't reveal the chain, but a big name entity that used to sell individual portions of pasta had a process where the various noodles were prepared fresh, then were drained and packaged in the restaurant.  The cooling process was essential to achieve the proper consistency, which was important as pasta cooking was not a mainstay of this chain.  They did not, however, microwave the pasta to reheat.  I've used to utilize this technique at home, and yes, I was able to cook really good pasta by using the microwave.  It takes a while to get the entire process down pat, so I wouldn't recommend it for serving to company (or picky eaters).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 12, 2022, 10:50:18 AM

Do you'all know if Olive Garden (or any other Italian chain) uses pre-packaged pasta for microwave heating?  I won't reveal the chain, but a big name entity that used to sell individual portions of pasta had a process where the various noodles were prepared fresh, then were drained and packaged in the restaurant.  The cooling process was essential to achieve the proper consistency, which was important as pasta cooking was not a mainstay of this chain.  They did not, however, microwave the pasta to reheat.  I've used to utilize this technique at home, and yes, I was able to cook really good pasta by using the microwave.  It takes a while to get the entire process down pat, so I wouldn't recommend it for serving to company (or picky eaters).

100% the pasta at Olive Garden comes in packaged and some of the different varieties, they microwave. (At least they used to when I worked for Darden way back in the day, because I read their training materials.)

One of the more prominent barbecue restaurants in KC finishes their meats in the microwave too, but I'm less opposed to that since it was obviously originally cooked in the pit.

skluth

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 12, 2022, 11:15:46 AM

100% the pasta at Olive Garden comes in packaged and some of the different varieties, they microwave. (At least they used to when I worked for Darden way back in the day, because I read their training materials.)

One of the more prominent barbecue restaurants in KC finishes their meats in the microwave too, but I'm less opposed to that since it was obviously originally cooked in the pit.

The best way to cook pork chops is to grill them and then finish cooking them in the microwave. It's difficult to completely cook thick pork chops on the grill and microwaving cooks food from the inside out so the two processes complement one another. Sure beats getting trichinosis.

hbelkins

Ramada Inns used to be pretty high on the list of quality hotels. Now they're one of those hit-or-miss Wyndham brands that can be very luxurious, or below Super 8 or Days Inn standards.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Piccadilly's has declined precipitously from its heyday. There are now just 33 locations in various cities in Louisiana, Jackson MS, Memphis area, Atlanta area, and a few isolated stragglers elsewhere in the south. Of course cafeteria chains in general have had it hard in recent decades.

It seems that chain restaurants never truly die completely since there are often a few franchisees left that will stick with a dying/defunct brand long after its prime. In contrast, most retailers that fail usually liquidate all their remaining stores at once leaving no stragglers. (Of course Sears/Kmart is the great exception.  :ded:)

Another chain that shrank substantially after a 2018 bankruptcy is Fallas Stores (formerly National Stores). Recently I heard they were closing all stores.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2022, 09:52:26 PM
Ramada Inns used to be pretty high on the list of quality hotels. Now they're one of those hit-or-miss Wyndham brands that can be very luxurious, or below Super 8 or Days Inn standards.

Wyndham ownership has just been terrible to the Howard Johnson brand. Talk about a chain that is a shell of its former self...

formulanone

AARoads: come for complains about I-99, stay for the rants about Olive Garden.

kkt

jakeroot

Quote from: kurumi on August 09, 2022, 09:57:58 PM
Fry's supermarkets apparently have 123 locations still open, in Arizona mainly.

The spinoff Fry's Electronics dominated the southwest (mainly CA and TX) until the Internet took off. Peaked at 34 locations, took many years to die, with empty shelves, "sold on TV" nonsense and toys and other random stuff.

Even at its peak, there was controversy about customer service and financials and whatnot, but in the 90s it was a fun place to visit, and in the 10s it was an interesting place to watch fading away.

The history would make a good documentary IMHO.

I would love to see a documentary on Fry's.

One really cool thing about Fry's was the stores. Most had a really cool theme. Burbank, CA and its alien theme was super neat.

As it relates to the stores, Fry's also deserves credit for saving quite a few of the very short-lived Incredible Universe electronics store chain. Seven were converted to Fry's (six initially, followed by another in Fishers, IN) and maintained Incredible Universe's large rotunda entry, which of course was done to save money, but also maintained that visual connection to the original chain. I think that's pretty neat, as Incredible Universe was quite a cool place. I supposedly visited the Auburn, WA location as a very small child, though I don't remember it.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 11, 2022, 12:35:33 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 11, 2022, 12:31:24 PM
Shakey's pizza.  Once national but now only in California and some international locations.

Two in Washington too.

The one in Renton, WA isn't too far from me. I keep meaning to go to it. I don't think I realized it was a national chain. My family used to rave about it.

kkt

I'm sad to see that attempts to resurrect the Farrell's ice cream chain have been unsuccessful.  Last one closed 2019.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: kkt on August 20, 2022, 09:04:45 PM
I'm sad to see that attempts to resurrect the Farrell's ice cream chain have been unsuccessful.  Last one closed 2019.

A recent attempt to bring Circuit City back from the dead didn't pan out, either.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

JayhawkCO

Quote from: skluth on August 12, 2022, 01:29:57 PM

The best way to cook pork chops is to grill them and then finish cooking them in the microwave. It's difficult to completely cook thick pork chops on the grill and microwaving cooks food from the inside out so the two processes complement one another. Sure beats getting trichinosis.

There have been three total cases of trichinosis in the U.S. since 1975. The official health recommendation for cooking pork is no longer well done. I cook my pork chops to medium. No need to microwave.

SectorZ

JayhawkCO

LM117

kirbykart

Perkins is so much smaller than it used to be. The location in Foster Brook, PA closed recently, and that felt like one of the last ones near me. I'm doubtful even the Olean, NY location is still open today.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kirbykart on September 10, 2022, 11:23:10 AM
Perkins is so much smaller than it used to be. The location in Foster Brook, PA closed recently, and that felt like one of the last ones near me. I'm doubtful even the Olean, NY location is still open today.

Still has a sizable presence in the Midwest, although they have not been invincible here either. Many were retreating from their 24/7 presence before COVID, which finished that job.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Sani

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 10, 2022, 12:01:28 PM

Still has a sizable presence in the Midwest, although they have not been invincible here either. Many were retreating from their 24/7 presence before COVID, which finished that job.
One of the Perkins restaurants in Johnson County, Kansas at a very busy intersection closed during the pandemic and was torn down and replaced with a QuikTrip. I ate there a few years ago, and the food was fine, but the décor and furnishings (brass lamps, heavy oak, dark greens) felt 30 years old, and I think their demographic is aging and shrinking fast.

Which one!?

Rothman

Makes me wonder how much longer the Perkins in Cortland, NY will hang on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

There's also still a Perkins in Mansfield, PA. That along with Olean (still open, according to Google) and Cortland are the only ones I know of around here.

brad2971

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 10, 2022, 12:01:28 PM

Both Denver and Colorado Springs' Perkins are still going strong; in fact, both have had recent remodels.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on September 10, 2022, 03:07:50 PM
There's also still a Perkins in Mansfield, PA. That along with Olean (still open, according to Google) and Cortland are the only ones I know of around here.

The one in Newburgh (and the closest one to me in CT) looks like it's still open. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 10, 2022, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 10, 2022, 03:07:50 PM

The one in Newburgh (and the closest one to me in CT) looks like it's still open.
Isn't there one in Wappingers Falls?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.