News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Should WISDOT acknowledge The Beltline on BGS signs in Madison?

Started by peterj920, August 19, 2022, 03:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 20, 2022, 10:55:56 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 20, 2022, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2022, 11:20:03 PM
^ Pretty sure there's a category or three of Interstate standards that the Beltline is short on.  Nevermind that there isn't any real benefit for WisDOT to do so.

Given Wisconsin practice, it would just be another shield added to the large mess that's already there anyway.
But it would give a bit of clarity in the middle of the madness. I don't really get the argument that "US 12 is the anchor for the highway, that's good enough"  when there are no fewer than 3 other US highways entering and exiting the beltline at different points, one of which continues as a freeway after leaving the beltway. A separate designation doesn't really need to happen to provide this clarity, though, just include "beltline highway"  on some BGS reassurance shields at the interchanges where one highway leaves the beltline.

To anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes in Madison, it's pretty easy to figure out what "The Beltline" is.

What it's clearly not is "The Interstate" - and it doesn't matter which one, because they'll say "I-94" if the section east of Madison hits a traffic report.

It's also not "Stoughton Rd" (US-51 - and you'll get weird looks if you call it "East Beltline") or "Verona Rd" (US-18/151).

Round it out with University Ave, Park St, East Washington Ave (which becomes "151" east of "The Interstate"), and John Nolen Dr, and you have a basic internal compass of how to navigate Madison successfully. I had it pretty well figured out within a week of moving to Madison.

On a list of Madison highway needs, pedantically spelling out "Beltline Hwy" at every exit and interchange ranks at about the same level of need as filling in the blanks on the "To Interstate" highway shields around town, or giving John Nolen Dr an official Wisconsin state highway number.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 21, 2022, 02:34:42 AM
^ Pretty sure there's a category or three of Interstate standards that the Beltline is short on.  Nevermind that there isn't any real benefit for WisDOT to do so.

Given Wisconsin practice, it would just be another shield added to the large mess that's already there anyway.
But it would give a bit of clarity in the middle of the madness. I don't really get the argument that "US 12 is the anchor for the highway, that's good enough"  when there are no fewer than 3 other US highways entering and exiting the beltline at different points, one of which continues as a freeway after leaving the beltway. A separate designation doesn't really need to happen to provide this clarity, though, just include "beltline highway"  on some BGS reassurance shields at the interchanges where one highway leaves the beltline.

To anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes in Madison, it's pretty easy to figure out what "The Beltline" is.

What it's clearly not is "The Interstate" - and it doesn't matter which one, because they'll say "I-94" if the section east of Madison hits a traffic report.

It's also not "Stoughton Rd" (US-51 - and you'll get weird looks if you call it "East Beltline") or "Verona Rd" (US-18/151).

Round it out with University Ave, Park St, East Washington Ave (which becomes "151" east of "The Interstate"), and John Nolen Dr, and you have a basic internal compass of how to navigate Madison successfully. I had it pretty well figured out within a week of moving to Madison.

On a list of Madison highway needs, pedantically spelling out "Beltline Hwy" at every exit and interchange ranks at about the same level of need as filling in the blanks on the "To Interstate" highway shields around town, or giving John Nolen Dr an official Wisconsin state highway number.

Yeah, this is well stated. The only real issue IMO is that US-151 should be moved to the interstate and Beltline. If it needs to be replaced with some other state highway, that's fine.  But putting "Beltline" on a BGS attempts to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

SEWIGuy

But it would give a bit of clarity in the middle of the madness.

There really isn't any madness.  It's pretty clear.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on August 20, 2022, 04:21:22 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 19, 2022, 05:56:58 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on August 19, 2022, 03:02:26 AM
On I-39/I-90, the sign will say US 12/18 Madison. Wouldn't it be more helpful to place "Beltline Hwy"  underneath the US 12/18 shields since everyone calls it "The Beltline?"  Locals know what it is but acknowledging The Beltline on signs can help out of town drivers. It would be helpful to add to the US 51, John Nolen, Fish Hatchery Rd, US 14/US 151 Park St, and US 18/US 151 Verona Rd Interchanges. Most of the signs that say "Beltline Hwy"  are City of Madison signs at Whitney Way, Gammon Rd, and guide signs Downtown with a blank US highway shield.
WISDOT does have "Beltline"  signs on Todd Drive, Seminole Way, and the on ramps in the area. Wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge The Beltline in more signs?
They don't acknowledge anything in Milwaukee (Marquette Interchange, Zoo Interchange, etc).

The only named interchange that I see signage for in Wisconsin is the Michael G. Ellis Memorial Interchange on US 10 and I-41. Here's a look from google street view.

https://goo.gl/maps/YdkuGbLAsJEjqaGY6

Whenever I pass that sign, I snicker. I can't imagine anything more depressing than having an interchange named in my memory.

mgk920

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 20, 2022, 10:58:29 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2022, 10:37:09 PM
At least they did retire the World War I veterans' memorial highway (WI 29) name after the last known living combat veteran of that War in the state died several years ago.
Citation needed? Why is it still included in the official WisDOT commemorative designation page?

I don't recall seeing any of the signs the last time I drove that road.

Mike

JoePCool14

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 21, 2022, 09:33:30 AM
On I-39/I-90, the sign will say US 12/18 Madison. Wouldn't it be more helpful to place "Beltline Hwy"  underneath the US 12/18 shields since everyone calls it "The Beltline?"  Locals know what it is but acknowledging The Beltline on signs can help out of town drivers. It would be helpful to add to the US 51, John Nolen, Fish Hatchery Rd, US 14/US 151 Park St, and US 18/US 151 Verona Rd Interchanges. Most of the signs that say "Beltline Hwy"  are City of Madison signs at Whitney Way, Gammon Rd, and guide signs Downtown with a blank US highway shield.
WISDOT does have "Beltline"  signs on Todd Drive, Seminole Way, and the on ramps in the area. Wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge The Beltline in more signs?
They don't acknowledge anything in Milwaukee (Marquette Interchange, Zoo Interchange, etc).

The only named interchange that I see signage for in Wisconsin is the Michael G. Ellis Memorial Interchange on US 10 and I-41. Here's a look from google street view.

Whenever I pass that sign, I snicker. I can't imagine anything more depressing than having an interchange named in my memory.

As a roadgeek, that actually kinda sounds nice. I'm not saying that would be my first choice for a memorial sort of thing, but...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 21, 2022, 06:32:19 PM

As a roadgeek, that actually kinda sounds nice. I'm not saying that would be my first choice for a memorial sort of thing, but...

More awkward to me is when they name an overpass for someone, just a standard overpass that looks no different or more significant than any other overpass.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J N Winkler

Speaking as someone who has dealt with the Beltline in the relatively recent past as a stranger to Madison, I don't feel it would have helped to have had it signed.  The name itself has far less map relatability than US 12, US 18, and US 151, which were the designations I was looking for since I initially approached from the southwest via Dodgeville and Verona.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wanderer2575

Certain, uh, plumbing fixtures at rest areas and parks.  Yes, I've seen those.

TheHighwayMan3561

I was thinking about this in comparison to the MN 62 "Crosstown", which would probably and somewhat reasonably get about three or four different answers from people who were unfamiliar or only vaguely familiar with Twin Cities routes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 21, 2022, 06:49:31 PM
More awkward to me is when they name an overpass for someone, just a standard overpass that looks no different or more significant than any other overpass.
Georgia is full of those.

JoePCool14

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 21, 2022, 06:49:31 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 21, 2022, 06:32:19 PM

Metaphor for life in general?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hobsini2

I would also say University Ave being the main route through the westside and UW campus on that internal compass list. But I get it.
As for putting Beltline Hwy in the BGS, I would only use it at I-39/90 and place it next to the 12/18 shields on the right in a smaller text font a la Chicago-style.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.