The 2023 Roadmeet collection Thread

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Since A.J. is looking for a respite from the responsibility of covering this topic, I'll do the 2023 list.

As much of us get older, and have to plot out our leave time, from our professional responsibilities, now is a good time as any to start lining up the schedule for 2023 meets.

So far we have...

Western Norfolk Co (Long Island, NY) - March 18 (DGloub hosting)
Columbus, Ohio - April 15 (Sandor, aka Hot Rod Hootenanny, hosting)
Omaha, Neb - "City Meet" - April 29 (A.J. Bertin hosting)
Harford County, Maryland - May 6 (Laura Hosting)
Fresno, Calif - May 6 & 7 (Max Rockatansky hosting)
Grand Forks, ND - May 20 (Brandon hosting)
Little Rock, Ark - June 17 (Cody hosting)
Buffalo, NY - July 29 (Dan Murphy, aka Highwaywiz, hosting)
Peoria, Ill - September 23 (Nikolai hosting)
Cumberland, MD - October 21 (Laura hosting)
Lancaster, PA - December 9 (Mark David Moore, aka 74/171, hosting)
The 4Ms, Missing Moves Mini Meet, Bellmawr NJ - November 26, December 16 (Alps, aka Steve Alpert, Hosting)
Coachella Valley, Calif - Fall (Skluth hosting)
Reno, NV - Date undetermined (Josh, aka cl94 hosting)

Otherwise, chime in with questions and ideas. Mind you, all (real) roadmeets will have their own thread on this board.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I'll definitely plan on being at Columbus, OH.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kevinb1994

I'm down US 23 from Cbus, so I'll definitely look at trying to make it there.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM
Since A.J. is looking for a respite from the responsibility of covering this topic, I'll do the 2023 list.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a respite from this responsibility.  I would have been happy to do it again, but I just didn't feel it made sense to start the thread with only three meets proposed/announced so far.  And of course, you hadn't announced your Columbus meet yet.  I was just planning on waiting a bit longer before I started it.

Regardless, thank you for creating and maintaining the list for 2023!
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

I would love to get a meet to reclinch US 31. Since that's new construction it is something that maybe can be built around, but I'll need someone from SW Michigan to take the lead.

I was also thinking a Long Island meet but since that was covered in 2015, I'd need to hook back on what's left worth making a meet out of...

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on September 09, 2022, 10:42:34 PM
I was also thinking a Long Island meet but since that was covered in 2015, I'd need to hook back on what's left worth making a meet out of...

Eastern Suffolk wasn't covered.  I've thought for a while that the Shinnecock Squeeze elimination could make for an interesting meet.  While in the area, there's also the Ponquogue Bridge (CR 32), the unsigned eastern section of NY 27A, and Cross River Drive (CR 105).  Also, while it's not a road thing per se, the Big Duck is pretty cool.

cl94

I've considered a series of Sierra Nevada meets to highlight interesting features and new developments in the region. I'll have some discussions with the other road peeps in this part of the world to determine what would be "meet-worthy", but I think there's enough for at least two meets over the next decade. Time is still TBD, but the first would likely be Reno and possibly in 2023. Definitely not intended as "destination meets" as much as "get some of the western road people together for something".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on September 10, 2022, 10:07:13 PM
I've considered a series of Sierra Nevada meets to highlight interesting features and new developments in the region. I'll have some discussions with the other road peeps in this part of the world to determine what would be "meet-worthy", but I think there's enough for at least two meets over the next decade. Time is still TBD, but the first would likely be Reno and possibly in 2023. Definitely not intended as "destination meets" as much as "get some of the western road people together for something".

But I assume that anyone coming from long distance who wants to make this a "destination meet" for themselves would be welcome to attend if they want to do so.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Reno would probably be better for me in 2024.  However, I have always wanted to do some sort of West Coast Meet even in the days before learning about Tom and Josh moving out there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

I've been kicking around the idea of a Powhatan County meet for a year or two, but I don't think the projects that would draw interest are far enough along yet.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on September 11, 2022, 08:32:25 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of a Powhatan County meet for a year or two, but I don't think the projects that would draw interest are far enough along yet.

My dad wants me to do a Hopewell/PG Meet.  The Benjamin Harrison Bridge, the VA 10 Appomattox River Bridges, and the VA 36/VA 144 intersection should be enough to make that feasible.

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 11, 2022, 09:16:53 AM

My dad wants me to do a Hopewell/PG Meet.  The Benjamin Harrison Bridge, the VA 10 Appomattox River Bridges, and the VA 36/VA 144 intersection should be enough to make that feasible.
What's your dad's interest in meets?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

I'd be down for that, I ended up driving over the Benjamin Harrison Bridge in June of last year when a woman jumped off the nearby Varina-Enon Bridge! I believe that that was brought up at your meet.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Rothman on September 11, 2022, 09:23:57 AM

What's your dad's interest in meets?

My parents have started attending some of the meets in the last year or so, so I would presume it is more about spending time with me doing what I enjoy than the meet itself.

Great Lakes Roads

I am thinking of an Indy meet at some point within the next few years (either 2024 or 2025).

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 11, 2022, 10:42:00 AM
I am thinking of an Indy meet at some point within the next few years (either 2024 or 2025).

That would be cool.  The last (and only, to my knowledge) time that we had an Indy road meet was in 2009.  I'd certainly be interested in attending another road meet in Indy at some point over the next few years.
-A.J. from Michigan

Takumi

Yeah, you could add Old Town Petersburg and/or the old ferry approach on the Charles City side of the Ben, as well as City Point and the weird carbon copy cutout shield on 15th Avenue in central Hopewell.

Maybe Richmond could be a city meet candidate in the future.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on September 10, 2022, 08:04:35 AM

Eastern Suffolk wasn't covered.  I've thought for a while that the Shinnecock Squeeze elimination could make for an interesting meet.  While in the area, there's also the Ponquogue Bridge (CR 32), the unsigned eastern section of NY 27A, and Cross River Drive (CR 105).  Also, while it's not a road thing per se, the Big Duck is pretty cool.
I'm willing to give this a shot but definitely will need your help assembling this. The Duck can be our group photo :D

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2022, 03:52:08 PM
Quote from: dgolub on September 10, 2022, 08:04:35 AM

I'm willing to give this a shot but definitely will need your help assembling this. The Duck can be our group photo :D

Sounds good.  Let me know what I can do.

froggie

Time it for GenCon and you'd definitely catch my interest.  Granted, hotel room access in Indy is dicey during that Con....

kevinb1994

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2022, 09:10:47 PM

Time it for GenCon and you'd definitely catch my interest.  Granted, hotel room access in Indy is dicey during that Con....
Haha, that's a good one froggie! I've been to GenCon, albeit virtually (from the con archives, they did a South version here in Jax for a number of years from 1978 until 1984-there has also been a West version in the Bay Area (where I visited in 2012), and a East version in the Delaware Valley (where I went to school for a number of years for a good decade or so from 2006-2016). I've been interested in D&D for like three or so years now.

So I'm interested in a future Indy meet too, if and when it happens.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

What about this coming year, with the I-70/65 rebuild finishing up?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

TheHighwayMan3561

If I'm in better spirits, I may revisit the Twin Cities meet idea for around state fair time (late August/Labor Day).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 12, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
If I'm in better spirits, I may revisit the Twin Cities meet idea for around state fair time (late August/Labor Day).
A roadgeek state fair outing would be more likely to get my interest.

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 12, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
Sound fair.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.