Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Kentucky

<< < (93/102) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: skluth on November 27, 2022, 05:37:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: seicer on November 27, 2022, 05:30:19 PM ---Yes - work is underway on a new interchange with KY 80 and KY 461 further east, which will have a stub for future I-66 to continue westward to Somserset: https://www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict8/posts/ky-461-interchange-improvement-project-in-pulaski-county-to-begin-next-weeknext-/3738302329548499/ (as far as I know, the new four-lane between Somerset and KY 461 is still set to be future I-66, not the Cumberland Parkway).

--- End quote ---
I thought I-66 was cancelled other than the current Virginia/DC highway.

--- End quote ---
Eh, I think the proposal will just linger.  Proposals never die.

KentuckyParkways:

--- Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on November 27, 2022, 04:35:49 PM ---Are there currently any plans to extend the Cumberland Parkway east to I-75 in London?  Right now it terminates at US 27 with a partial cloverleaf with an unused bridge.

--- End quote ---

As of 2018 there were still plans according to local Congressman Hal Rogers.
https://www.somerset-kentucky.com/news/i-66-on-the-road-to-nowhere-rep-for-rogers-says-no-evidence-project-has/article_6d1d77e6-f366-11e8-9ed2-67d33dab2801.html

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: seicer on November 27, 2022, 05:30:19 PM ---Yes - work is underway on a new interchange with KY 80 and KY 461 further east, which will have a stub for future I-66 to continue westward to Somserset: https://www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict8/posts/ky-461-interchange-improvement-project-in-pulaski-county-to-begin-next-weeknext-/3738302329548499/ (as far as I know, the new four-lane between Somerset and KY 461 is still set to be future I-66, not the Cumberland Parkway).

--- End quote ---

The Cumberland Parkway Expressway is set to become a 3di child of I-65, although I don't know if the x65 designation will end at US 27 or continue on to the KY 80/KY 461 interchange.

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 06:39:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: skluth on November 27, 2022, 05:37:13 PM ---

--- End quote ---
I thought I-66 was cancelled other than the current Virginia/DC highway.

--- End quote ---
Eh, I think the proposal will just linger.  Proposals never die.

--- End quote ---

There are actually still references to I-66 in Kentucky's highway plans, mostly for upgrades to the Hal Rogers Parkway between London and Hazard. I don't know if there are any lingering proposals for a new-terrain route from Hazard past Pikeville to the state line or not (although one former Kentucky legislator floated a silly idea before he got voted out of office to extend the Mountain Parkway to Beckley, WV).

I think a new four-lane freeway between Somerset and London is dead, however, due to the environmental factors. And quite honestly, it's not needed. Existing KY 80 -- a mix of expressway and a surface "super-2" mileage -- moves traffic just fine. I've never seen it crowded, congested, or not free-flowing.

seicer:
If anything, KY 461 is experiencing poor levels of service between KY 80 and Mt. Vernon and the portion around Mt. Vernon will be upgraded to four or five lanes. IMO, that's never been a solid roadway design because of its steep grades, lack of passing lanes on hills, and intersection placement.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: seicer on December 01, 2022, 09:33:01 AM ---If anything, KY 461 is experiencing poor levels of service between KY 80 and Mt. Vernon and the portion around Mt. Vernon will be upgraded to four or five lanes. IMO, that's never been a solid roadway design because of its steep grades, lack of passing lanes on hills, and intersection placement.

--- End quote ---

You should have driven it before the new alignment was completed. I was on it a few times 25-30 years ago and the existing alignment is way better than the old road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version