News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State tolling of existing free Interstates

Started by doogie1303, February 09, 2016, 08:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doogie1303

Can anyone explain what the current federal statues are for tolling existing interstates that were originally not tolled?

The reason I ask is because Rhode Island is putting legislation forward to erect toll gantries at 14 locations across the state to toll "trucks only". Of these 14 toll gantry locations, 10 of them are on Interstates that were never originally tolled. Further details are in the following article:

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20160105/NEWS/160109669

If I remember correctly, interstate highways that were built with federal funds were not allowed to be tolled (the exceptions were highways that were designed as toll roads that didn't receive federal funds or toll roads built prior to getting an interstate designation).

So my question, can a state like Rhode Island do what they are proposing to an existing interstate or will the Feds say no?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: doogie1303 on February 09, 2016, 08:24:55 PM
So my question, can a state like Rhode Island do what they are proposing to an existing interstate or will the Feds say no?

Read this page on the FHWA Web site for a discussion of where tolling of "free" Interstates is now permitted by the federal government.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

doogie1303

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 09, 2016, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: doogie1303 on February 09, 2016, 08:24:55 PM

Read this page on the FHWA Web site for a discussion of where tolling of "free" Interstates is now permitted by the federal government.

Ok, so an existing toll-free bridge or tunnel on a toll free highway can be converted into a toll facility under 23 U.S.C. 129 if it is reconstructed or replaced.

That could explain why all the gantry locations on the Interstates are on interchange bridges, because under 23 U.S.C. 129 all lanes of an existing toll-free Interstate highway can NOT be converted into a toll facility for reconstruction purposes alone (unless it is in the Interstate System Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Pilot Program, which RI is not).

But here is my other question, the plan put forth by RI is to repair all the deficient bridges in the State with the toll funds, wouldn't the tolls collected only be eligible for the facilities that the gantries are erected on? There is some more wording under 23 U.S.C. 129 about using funds for other non-tolled segments connected to the tolled segments, but to say all the Bridges and Roads in a state are eligible as a "segment" connected to the tolled facility might be stretching the statute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.