News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your traffic signal pictures

Started by traffic light guy, November 03, 2016, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Quote from: roadfro on December 11, 2016, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on December 11, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
Saw this one yesterday in front of the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.  Not even sure this is compliant?

Is that showing a red arrow or FYA? I can't tell...

Do you know what each of the five sections displays? It sure doesn't look compliant with MUTCD, and looks extremely uncommon... Especially curious if it's intending to have permitted lefts (the sign suggests otherwise though).

NJ doesn't have any FYAs.

Seems like they wanted to go fancy here for no reason. Should've just been a standard protected left turn signal
Should be from top to bottom: Red ball, yellow ball, green ahead arrow (since it is turn on arrow only), yellow left arrow, green left arrow.

roadfro

Quote from: Big John on December 12, 2016, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Quote from: roadfro on December 11, 2016, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on December 11, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
Saw this one yesterday in front of the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.  Not even sure this is compliant?

Is that showing a red arrow or FYA? I can't tell...

Do you know what each of the five sections displays? It sure doesn't look compliant with MUTCD, and looks extremely uncommon... Especially curious if it's intending to have permitted lefts (the sign suggests otherwise though).

NJ doesn't have any FYAs.

Seems like they wanted to go fancy here for no reason. Should've just been a standard protected left turn signal
Should be from top to bottom: Red ball, yellow ball, green ahead arrow (since it is turn on arrow only), yellow left arrow, green left arrow.

I assume the top is a circular red and middle is circular yellow? If so, the order of the indications in this display is correct, according to MUTCD. However, this display is completely non-compliant.

I further assume that this arrangement was created to have this signal head act as one of the two mandatory through/major movement displays, but also control the protected left turn. While the arrangement that Big John suggested would theoretically work, I agree with jeffandnicole that they should have put up two separate signal heads for the left and through movements.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

Left turn signal and bicycle signal at 5th Ave/Mulberry St in downtown Des Moines

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.