News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Stupid street or road names

Started by 1995hoo, April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Not stupid, but a little bit lazy: the Four-Forty Parkway in Nashville -- 50 free AA Bucks™ to the first person to guess the parkway's route number
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

In Bradenton there is a 301 Boulevard, and of course its name got derived from a route number, however not present anymore on the namesake street.

However very ingenious as the businesses that were along it can still say that they are on 301 even though its now the name of the road rather than the route number of the road. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dvferyance

Close to where my grandparents once lived in SW Virginia we would take their garbage down the road to the dumpster which was at an intersection with Lovely Valley Rd. I always thought that was funny they would name a road that being by the dump.

GaryV

I never understood "Featherstone Rd."  There's 2 I know of in Mich, one in Auburn Hills and the other in St. Joe County.

jwolfer

Now if Rainbow Rd and Dick Rd intersect that would be a good location for a gay bar

Tarkus

Out here in the western reaches of the Portland Metro area, probably the stupidest one--based on its origins--is SW Roy Rogers Road.  It's an arterial road that runs between OR-210 at the edge of Beaverton/Tigard (lining up with SW 175th Ave) and OR-99W in Sherwood (lining up with SW Tualatin-Sherwood Road).

It was the product of a major realignment project some 15 years ago, designed to better connect fast-growing Sherwood to the rest of the county, and took pieces of Beef Bend, Elsner, and Scholls-Sherwood Roads to make a more direct route.  It was not named after the cowboy, but after a still-sitting and self-serving Washington County commissioner, who basically named the realigned road after himself, over the objections of many local residents.

opspe

Quote from: Tarkus on June 19, 2016, 01:57:24 AM
Out here in the western reaches of the Portland Metro area, probably the stupidest one--based on its origins--is SW Roy Rogers Road.  It's an arterial road that runs between OR-210 at the edge of Beaverton/Tigard (lining up with SW 175th Ave) and OR-99W in Sherwood (lining up with SW Tualatin-Sherwood Road).

It was the product of a major realignment project some 15 years ago, designed to better connect fast-growing Sherwood to the rest of the county, and took pieces of Beef Bend, Elsner, and Scholls-Sherwood Roads to make a more direct route.  It was not named after the cowboy, but after a still-sitting and self-serving Washington County commissioner, who basically named the realigned road after himself, over the objections of many local residents.

I always wondered who that was named after.  I'm not a big fan of Scholls-Sherwood or Tualatin-Sherwood either.  Feel like they could've have come up with something a little more imaginative, but I guess they had to get them done fast back when Sherwood was really exploding.

I spent too much time down there looking for Christmas trees as a kid, that whole area has a negative association for me.

catch22

Quote from: GaryV on June 17, 2016, 10:03:47 PM
I never understood "Featherstone Rd."  There's 2 I know of in Mich, one in Auburn Hills and the other in St. Joe County.

Probably named after someone.  My mother has cousins in England with that last name.

tckma

Quote from: kurumi on June 16, 2016, 02:44:45 AM
Not stupid, but a little bit lazy: the Four-Forty Parkway in Nashville -- 50 free AA Bucks™ to the first person to guess the parkway's route number

...or the "Triple 5 Highway" in Kentucky.  Lazy.

Avalanchez71

Tater Peeler Rd in Lebanon, TN.

tckma

How about Whiskey Bottom Road in Laurel, MD?  There isn't even a liquor store on it!

kphoger

Quote from: opspe on June 15, 2016, 11:44:20 PM
Around Portland's suburbs, streets have conflicting directional prefixes.  This is especially bad in Gresham, where there are a few streets that have two official names with two directional prefixes:

NW Birdsdale Av / SE 202nd Av: https://goo.gl/maps/QjDztHeF8vw
NE Hogan Dr / SE 242nd Dr: https://goo.gl/maps/55po7BxfvTM2

I hate where Tulsa's grid system and Broken Arrow's grid system (Oklahoma) overlap.  For example, you can find S 177th East Avenue directly between N 8th Street and N 11th Street.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

There is an exit off of I-94 in Montana with a rest stop called "Bad Route Road."  I drove by it today and got a chuckle out of how that probably makes people hesitate using the bathroom.

tckma

Good Intent Road in Woodsboro, MD.  You know what they say about the road to hell.  This is also not far from Devilbliss Bridge Road.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 21, 2016, 12:06:47 AM
Tater Peeler Rd in Lebanon, TN.

That street name would make me hungry, so it would be the perfect location for a restaurant.

Oh yeah, on a related note, Grandview, Missouri has a Food Lane.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

roadman65

I think the Beachline Expressway name is stupid.  It was the Beeline for decades and even FDOT still calls the western toll plaza the Bee Line West.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

tckma

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
Nice Pl

Nice Bridge.  While it is indeed a fairly nice bridge, that's kind of a dumb name for it.

inkyatari

Used to be a street near where I live called Pig Ln.  They had to change the name though, because people were stealing the street signs.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

vtk

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
Nice Pl

That reminded me of an apartment complex near me where the street leading in plus half of the loop is called Preferred Pl.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 22, 2016, 06:00:39 PM
I think the Beachline Expressway name is stupid.  It was the Beeline for decades and even FDOT still calls the western toll plaza the Bee Line West.

Our relatives in the Viera area say everyone calls it the Bee Line.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Toll Gate Blvd in a Waterloo, ON subdivision. I seriously doubt there was ever a toll gate here.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Toll+Gate+Blvd,+Waterloo,+ON/@43.4863078,-80.561092,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x882bf14f7101e21d:0x943afa528e381edc!8m2!3d43.4863039!4d-80.5589033

Another thing that bugs me is when multiple streets have the same name, except they change the suffix. For example, in my neighbourhood, there is a Fairway Rd N, Fairway Cres, and Fairway Ct. There are two intersections of Fairway Rd N and Fairway Cres, and an intersection of Fairway Cres and Fairway Ct. It's ridiculous!
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4417463,-80.416419,18z

CNGL-Leudimin

Asperger Strasse, Germany :sombrero:.

Ok, in defense of the three such named streets is that they lead to Asperg, a town located North of Stuttgart, so they are essentially 'Asperg road'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

GaryV

Quote from: 7/8 on July 20, 2016, 02:42:01 PM
Another thing that bugs me is when multiple streets have the same name, except they change the suffix.

Try all the varieties of "Peachtree" in Atlanta.

bzakharin

This glorified driveway recently put up "Atrium Way" blades on every crossing that didn't already have a street name (the GSV is from before they did that) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9172785,-74.9527977,3a,75y,139.08h,84.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-MXmmghWIx5GVTkp0Z54gg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
So there are now four of them, all intersecting each other.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.