News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which is the best way to avoid the Grapevine on Interstate 5 if snowed in?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, October 10, 2016, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

One weekend, during my funeral for my grandfather, "A", my family took from near Newport Beach to get on the Interstate 405 San Diego Freeway to the West U.S. 101 Ventura Freeway to Junction 46 east in Paso Robles, becuase U.S. 101 is known as the Kings Highway in Spanish, then CA 46 to CA 41 to CA 198 back to Visalia, CA.  I think I should off rerouted this route onto "B" Interstate 5, Golden State Freeway to CA 14 Antelope Valley Freeway to CA 58, Bakersfield-Barstow Highway.  (Much of the bypass came in the early 2000) this trip was done in November, 1984.  I should off known to take the "B" way over the "A" way.

coatimundi

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 10, 2016, 10:02:21 PM
One weekend, during my funeral for my grandfather, "A", my family took from near Newport Beach to get on the Interstate 405 San Diego Freeway to the West U.S. 101 Ventura Freeway to Junction 46 east in Paso Robles, becuase U.S. 101 is known as the Kings Highway in Spanish, then CA 46 to CA 41 to CA 198 back to Visalia, CA.  I think I should off rerouted this route onto "B" Interstate 5, Golden State Freeway to CA 14 Antelope Valley Freeway to CA 58, Bakersfield-Barstow Highway.  (Much of the bypass came in the early 2000) this trip was done in November, 1984.  I should off known to take the "B" way over the "A" way.

The answer to your question depends upon where you're going. It sounds like you're asking about going to Visalia which, in that case, I would agree about SR 14 to SR 58, and over Tehachapi Pass. However, oftentimes, when it snows around the Grapevine, it also snows at Tehachapi Pass.
It's also a potential option to take 138 back over to I-5, but it depends on where the snow is. Last time I was up there when there was snow, it was around the rest area at Lebec.

I should also point out that "El Camino Real" - the name of much of US 101 in California - translates directly to "The Royal Road". "King's Road" would be "El Camino del Rey".

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: coatimundi on October 10, 2016, 11:14:47 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 10, 2016, 10:02:21 PM

The answer to your question depends upon where you're going. It sounds like you're asking about going to Visalia which, in that case, I would agree about SR 14 to SR 58, and over Tehachapi Pass. However, oftentimes, when it snows around the Grapevine, it also snows at Tehachapi Pass.
It's also a potential option to take 138 back over to I-5, but it depends on where the snow is. Last time I was up there when there was snow, it was around the rest area at Lebec.

I should also point out that "El Camino Real" - the name of much of US 101 in California - translates directly to "The Royal Road". "King's Road" would be "El Camino del Rey".

It also depends on the weather conditions, before 1984 it was A.M. Weather on PBS, after 1984 it would be The Weather Channel. And now on the internet or by cell phone it would be Caltrans own highway condition toll free number, that I would always rely on.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 02:13:53 PM
It also depends on the weather conditions, before 1984 it was A.M. Weather on PBS, after 1984 it would be The Weather Channel. And now on the internet or by cell phone it would be Caltrans own highway condition toll free number, that I would always rely on.

While Caltrans' QuickMap is a good resource on road conditions, using it while driving is a problem because state law forbids the use of a phone for any reason unless it is done "hands-free".  This now includes looking at maps, messing with built-in GPS apps and (much to dismay of roadgeeks) taking pictures.

To answer your original question, it does depend on your destination.  If you're headed to the eastern or southern parts of the valley (Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, Merced, etc) your best bet is 14-58-99.  Otherwise, I'd stick to 101 and crossover to I-5 if you're headed to Stockton or Sacramento probably via 41.  Obviously, if you're headed to the S.F. Bay Area, I'd just stay on 101 the whole way.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2016, 02:34:35 PM

While Caltrans' QuickMap is a good resource on road conditions, using it while driving is a problem because state law forbids the use of a phone for any reason unless it is done "hands-free".  This now includes looking at maps, messing with built-in GPS apps and (much to dismay of roadgeeks) taking pictures.

This is before the luxury of cell phone, I would walk over to a pay phone and "punch" the numbers of the 1-800 Caltrans number, today it would be on the Internet via the personal computer besides cell phone, plus I don't drive.  I make a good navigator, however I am developmentally disabled and driving lessons would be expensive for me.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 02:41:52 PM

This is before the luxury of cell phone, I would walk over to a pay phone and "punch" the numbers of the 1-800 Caltrans number, today it would be on the Internet via the personal computer besides cell phone, plus I don't drive.  I make a good navigator, however I am developmentally disabled and driving lessons would be expensive for me.

Fair enough.

Not wanting to wander too far off-topic but "back in the day", there was a nifty phone number to check road conditions of I-80 and US 50 over the Sierra Nevada mountains.  I'm trying to recall what that number was but I do know it was a palindrome meaning the phone number (sans area code) was the same forward or backwards.  Does anyone know what that number was?  I don't think it's still in operation though.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2016, 02:50:23 PM

Fair enough.

Not wanting to wander too far off-topic but "back in the day", there was a nifty phone number to check road conditions of I-80 and US 50 over the Sierra Nevada mountains.  I'm trying to recall what that number was but I do know it was a palindrome meaning the phone number (sans area code) was the same forward or backwards.  Does anyone know what that number was?  I don't think it's still in operation though.

CALTRANS HIGHWAY INFORMATION: 1-800-427-7623.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 02:55:30 PM

Fair enough.

That's the current number.  It's also NOT a palindrome (4277623 reversed is 3267724).  What I was asking was if anyone remembered the old number which was a palindrome (for example 325-6523, same forwards or backwards) which is probably no longer in use (I was wrong!  It is still in use.  See my post below).

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2016, 03:49:08 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 02:55:30 PM

Fair enough.

That's the current number.  It's also NOT a palindrome (4277623 reversed is 3267724).  What I was asking was if anyone remembered the old number which was a palindrome (for example 325-6523, same forwards or backwards) which is probably no longer in use.

I really don't know about that to tell you the truth, this was back in 1989. 

myosh_tino

Hey!  I think I just remembered it.  It was 557-3755 and, after doing a quick Google search, it is still in operation!  The full phone number is 415-557-3755 and it's the CHP Road Report number for the Tahoe region.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2016, 03:53:33 PM
Hey!  I think I just remembered it.  It was 557-3755 and, after doing a quick Google search, it is still in operation!  The full phone number is 415-557-3755 and it's the CHP Road Report number for the Tahoe region.

Ok, great but not for the entire state of California, Myosh?

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 04:07:05 PM

I never said anything about it being a statewide number.  I said it was a number I remembered growing up.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2016, 04:22:02 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 11, 2016, 04:07:05 PM

I never said anything about it being a statewide number.  I said it was a number I remembered growing up.

Ok gotcha.

coatimundi

I like QuickMap, but I don't know how practical it is for others. Its new interface is a bit more convoluted. On the drive to LA today, I had my wife check it since it was already loaded on my phone, and she just said "This is really hard to read." I realize you can hide some of the icons, but I don't know that they should all be on by default.

Related: http://shuaige.org/projects/westernroads/
Something I built about a year ago when I got tired of checking each state's highways site in road trip planning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.