News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Scouting Trip to Burlighton

Started by vdeane, May 02, 2013, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I'm planning to go on a scouting trip for my planned Burlington meet this fall on Tuesday next week.  Anything particular I should be aware of?  My only worry is that border patrol will be out and find my planned U-turn on VT 225 (to fudge a clinch; I don't plan to go up to Leduc Dr based on satellite imagery alone) suspicious (though I didn't have any trouble with the ones I did on NY 22, NY 189, and NY 384 last year); I don't plan on actually going as far north as the directions indicate, just as far as that marker I placed on it.

http://goo.gl/maps/qTA0T
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

I once U-turned at a border station, and when they asked, I said "I meant to cross at the next one." "They go to the same place." "Yeah, I know, but still..." They can't do anything to you if you never cross.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2013, 05:37:41 PM
They can't do anything to you if you never cross.

I believe you are fair game if you enter a controlled-access border facility, even if you do not cross international lines.

I got interrogated for 2 hours at the north end of I-29, because "I wanted to drive this highway in entirety" was not a good reason to drive all the way up there just to turn around.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 05:42:36 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2013, 05:37:41 PM
They can't do anything to you if you never cross.

I believe you are fair game if you enter a controlled-access border facility, even if you do not cross international lines.

I got interrogated for 2 hours at the north end of I-29, because "I wanted to drive this highway in entirety" was not a good reason to drive all the way up there just to turn around.
I suppose it depends on the point that defines "entering the facility." My U-turn was at the last intersection shy when I realized where I was.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2013, 05:48:28 PM
I suppose it depends on the point that defines "entering the facility." My U-turn was at the last intersection shy when I realized where I was.

I'm not sure about that either.  given that the border patrol has authority to operate as far north as Needles, I'd say the entire damn country is a migra facility!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

My plans are to U turn at a driveway shy of the border station, so my worries are only the guys driving the white/green cars.  I can't imagine many cars with NY plates go down that road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

I don't think it'll be an issue on this side of the country. Worst comes to worst, you say you were lost.

vdeane

Just got back a little while ago.  No trouble with VT 225 despite the border patrol guy sitting 1/2 mile down US 2 from VT 225.  Did it early so I wouldn't lose my nerve.

This meet is just gonna be spectacular.  That trail bridge has an AWESOME view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks, and VT 127 has some great pedestrian bridges and the oddest signage (including an error US 127 shield and right/left turn arrows turned to point straight).  Found the truss bridge on US 2 - turns out the construction is a bridge widening - we'll see if it's done or not by then.
http://www.checkeredhousebridge.com/index.html

Need to find somewhere for the stop to view the I-189 stub.  Turns out the lot on the stub is for a specific business and not open to the public (and monitored by cameras) so we'll likely have to park on a random side street and walk over.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2013, 07:03:04 PM
Just got back a little while ago.  No trouble with VT 225 despite the border patrol guy sitting 1/2 mile down US 2 from VT 225.  Did it early so I wouldn't lose my nerve.

This meet is just gonna be spectacular.  That trail bridge has an AWESOME view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks, and VT 127 has some great pedestrian bridges and the oddest signage (including an error US 127 shield and right/left turn arrows turned to point straight).  Found the truss bridge on US 2 - turns out the construction is a bridge widening - we'll see if it's done or not by then.

Need to find somewhere for the stop to view the I-189 stub.  Turns out the lot on the stub is for a specific business and not open to the public (and monitored by cameras) so we'll likely have to park on a random side street and walk over.
There's parking available on the street that crosses the other end of the stub. At least, it's not prohibited to park there (:

NE2

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2013, 07:13:50 PM
There's parking available on the street that crosses the other end of the stub. At least, it's not prohibited to park there (:
That's goat parking only at random unannounced times.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2013, 07:13:50 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2013, 07:03:04 PM

Indeed there is; I went down that area when scouting.  We have potential for two stops for the stub depending on time/participant interest; that stub is certainly big enough.

froggie

There's on-street parking on Pine St where it crosses the stub.  Parked there when I stopped last month.  BTW, I thought that lot in the stub was for a city recreation facility?

BTW, which trail bridge were you referring to?  The rail-trail bridge over the Winooski River?  Biked it last month, though I never did get my photos posted.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on May 09, 2013, 04:53:42 AM
There's on-street parking on Pine St where it crosses the stub.  Parked there when I stopped last month.  BTW, I thought that lot in the stub was for a city recreation facility?
Pretty much thinking that's how it will get done, though it looks like the parking is southbound only, and the better drive is northbound.  That lot is for something that starts with H; I don't remember more.
BTW, which trail bridge were you referring to?  The rail-trail bridge over the Winooski River?  Biked it last month, though I never did get my photos posted.
Google calls it "Island Line Trial" and it is over the Winooski River (right at the end by Lake Champlain) and just the right width for a railroad.

froggie

That's actually a new bridge built specifically for the trail.  I believe the original railroad bridge was lower and possibly a draw span.  The railway was definitely on a different alignment (still somewhat visible) through the marshland immediately north of the river.

seicer

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 03, 2013, 01:49:23 PM
I don't think it'll be an issue on this side of the country. Worst comes to worst, you say you were lost.

At Fort Knox, I used the wrong turn excuse.

Mdcastle

I've posted my adventure several times, but I got interrogated at the Peace Garden when I passed the US customs going outbound.

shadyjay

For I-189, get off at Exit "1", turn right onto Rt 7 then an immediate right into the plaza.  Keep right and eat at Five Guys.  It's awesome.  Then just walk over to the overpass on Rt 7 which has views of the 189 stub.  Or go left off the exit and take your second right onto Queen City Park Rd.  down there on the left is a park with public parking.  The stub is on the right.
Was just over in that neck of the woods not too long ago. 

There's also the 289 stubs visible off 89 and rt 2

froggie

QuoteThere's also the 289 stubs visible off 89 and rt 2

Huh?  The only 289 stubs I know of are the ones at each end of the completed segment:  at 2A and at 117.

vdeane

My current plan for the 189 stub is to drive down Queen City Park Road and Pine St. by the stub and park on Home Ave. by the end of the pavement.  Then we can go back and park on Pine St. if people are interested in walking around the US 7 interchange.  Drive back the loop on 189 to view the rest of the stub ramps.

Alex

Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2013, 12:06:41 PM
My current plan for the 189 stub is to drive down Queen City Park Road and Pine St. by the stub and park on Home Ave. by the end of the pavement.  Then we can go back and park on Pine St. if people are interested in walking around the US 7 interchange.  Drive back the loop on 189 to view the rest of the stub ramps.

Andy and I park and walked it twice. We parked in one of the two shopping centers in 2000 and hoofed it down the abandoned westbound on-ramp. In 2007 we parked on a side street by Home Avenue and walked it from the west end. No problems either time and it was done within a reasonable amount of time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.