News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSS5

Quote from: brownpelican on June 17, 2010, 02:38:37 AM
Ninety Six, S.C.

According to Wikipedia the origin of this name is a mystery. I always just figured it was the 96th parcel of land or something.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on September 21, 2013, 12:00:35 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 20, 2013, 11:35:35 PM
Freedom, NH
Am I missing a joke here?

I guess the "Live free or die" motto might have something to do with it. An added insurance policy?

Big John

There is also a Freedom in several other states.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Zmapper

The hamlets of Liberty and Liberty Pole, WI are only 11 miles apart.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

elsmere241

Quote from: DSS5 on September 20, 2013, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on June 17, 2010, 02:38:37 AM
Ninety Six, S.C.

According to Wikipedia the origin of this name is a mystery. I always just figured it was the 96th parcel of land or something.

According to William Least Heat-Moon in Blue Highways it's from the (historical) perceived distance to some landmark.  I'd have to look it up.

PHLBOS

Moon, PA

The BGS on the right's always good for laughs IMHO.

http://goo.gl/maps/G8BIf

Add Beaver, PA as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Indyroads

Other wierd names.

Floyds Knobs, IN

French Lick, IN
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.