News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 02, 2016, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 30, 2016, 08:06:13 PM
Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on June 30, 2016, 07:25:43 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 30, 2016, 12:30:53 AM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on June 29, 2016, 09:31:32 PM
Does anyone know if the sign replacement project has made its way to the Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension? Google street view caught some beautiful (original?) assemblies last time it went through.
14A is probably gone with the reconstruction there. 14B is still there and will take a long time to go.

14B was removed in early May.  14A is the last one.
WHAT.
I took this photo of the signs entering at 14B on 4/12.  You can see the new support installed behind them.   I haven't entered here since that time, but when I saw the new post I grabbed the phone to get a quick shot thinking I probably wouldn't see these great old signs again.

Here's the replacement.  Sad.

cpzilliacus

Trivia quiz from Funtrivia.com: The New Jersey Turnpike: What Exit?

Note that one of the questions is clearly out-dated.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

No control city on the westbound sign? I guess everyone knows it goes to Newark.

Mergingtraffic

Are they also replacing these and others like it before exit 10?  These are the old format but not that old.

Recent signage on the NJ Turnpike. Note: the overlays which will reveal an I-95 SOUTH shield and PHILADELPHIA once the I-95/Penn Turnpike connection is complete in 2018. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 13, 2016, 03:34:13 PM
No control city on the westbound sign? I guess everyone knows it goes to Newark.
Also does not the Turnpike go east with I-78 too?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2016, 03:58:49 PM
It's signed similarly to the entrance at 16W, where northbound is just "95 NORTH / George Washington Br" - you're outside the ticket system at this point (remember that 14B and 14C are at the same place; 14C is just continuing on 78 eastbound.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 13, 2016, 03:54:47 PM
Are they also replacing these and others like it before exit 10?  These are the old format but not that old.
Anything put in for the widening will stay until it's not reflective enough.

dgolub

Yes, but not particularly far.

SignBridge

I don't understand roadman65's question. The new sign does say "78 East"...........

And re: I-78 West, the TA must have decided that the route numbers were more important to most drivers than the city of Newark or any other city.

Also re: the Penn Turnpike sign, how did they happen to use the wrong arrows? 

Steve D

Quote from: odditude on July 13, 2016, 06:04:49 PM
It's signed similarly to the entrance at 16W, where northbound is just "95 NORTH / George Washington Br" - you're outside the ticket system at this point (remember that 14B and 14C are at the same place; 14C is just continuing on 78 eastbound.

No to both -  exit 14B to 14C and exit 16W to 18W (and the reverse) require a toll for the ridiculous short distances (I've seen the tickets, but check out Google Maps)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on July 13, 2016, 07:59:29 PM
Also re: the Penn Turnpike sign, how did they happen to use the wrong arrows? 

Did you ever see the arrow used prior to the decal lane for this exit?  Now THAT was a wrong arrow!!!

Quote from: odditude on July 13, 2016, 06:04:49 PM

14B & 14C are separate plazas.  The only dual-exit plaza is 18E & 18W.

The only access outside the ticketed system of the NJ Turnpike is the southern-most mile where US 40 overlaps the NJ Turnpike south of the Interchange 1 toll plaza; from the PA Turnpike to US 130 prior to the Interchange 6 toll plaza, and access to and from Vince Lombardi Service Plaza from the North. (Feel free to include I-95 north of that service plaza as well, since the NJ Turnpike "owns" this stretch of highway)

vdeane

Don't forget to/from NJ 495 from the north on the eastern spur (barrier toll SB, none NB) and the sports complex just north of exit 16W to/from the north.  The ending toll for the western spur is between 16W and the sports complex, and the ending toll on the eastern spur is a shared barrier with 16E.  Not sure what you mean by 18E and 18W being shared, especially since there is no 18E.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2016, 07:32:44 PM
Don't forget to/from NJ 495 from the north on the eastern spur (barrier toll SB, none NB) and the sports complex just north of exit 16W to/from the north.  The ending toll for the western spur is between 16W and the sports complex, and the ending toll on the eastern spur is a shared barrier with 16E.  Not sure what you mean by 18E and 18W being shared, especially since there is no 18E.
There is an 18E. 16E and 18E are shared.

vdeane

The barrier is hard to see in satellite view.  Interesting that they don't just extend the guiderail or jersey barrier.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2016, 08:08:50 PM
The barrier is hard to see in satellite view.  Interesting that they don't just extend the guiderail or jersey barrier.
Flexibility to reassign the center NB or SB booths based on which side of the plaza is getting more traffic.

NJRoadfan

If you are particularly sly, you can get the 16E rate instead of the 18E rate entering the mainline. Although they did extend those pylons a bit a few years back, I wonder why. ;)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 15, 2016, 12:05:32 AM
If you are particularly sly, you can get the 16E rate instead of the 18E rate entering the mainline. Although they did extend those pylons a bit a few years back, I wonder why. ;)

I was just thinking about that for exiting when I was looking at this again in GSV.  It looks like there were two exiting (NB) booths where they were set up to flip 16E and 18E access (in the GSV link below with the green lane indication signs above) depending on traffic conditions, before they fixed the split with the pylons up to the booth.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7770719,-74.0578796,3a,55.4y,358.65h,96.03t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSrQ3FRaSknB8vQnMfUUEmg!2e0?force=lite

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 15, 2016, 12:05:32 AM

Also if you got fortunate, the entry person for 18E brought out 16E tickets instead of 18E tickets, giving everyone a slightly discounted rate!

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2016, 08:08:50 PM

In the past (pre-GSV), I think they used large neon 18E and 16E numbers above some of the toll booths.  Today, there's only a few booths that they will switch.  And they also rely more on advanced signage such as this (which I believe has since been updated): https://goo.gl/maps/4sjieSNJeEP2

As shown in the latest GSV, they don't care much if you think you're going to pull a fast one over on them prior to the booth by staying to the cheaper 16E side.  But once you go thru the booth, the pylons are tightly spaced, preventing someone from switching over!

roadman65

Do they still have the Bus Only Toll Lane that was originally located in the middle of 16E and 18E?  The lane was open during the same hours as the XBL on Route 495 and the last time I saw it was back in 1994, I believe. 

Now with the EZ Pass thing, I would imagine that those took over that lane that was used.  And if memory served me in the pre EZ Pass Days the bus driver never used cash.  When Somerset Bus Company had their route from Clark into the Port Authority via Cranford, Rosselle, Elizabeth, and Newark, the driver had a coupon that he handed in with his ticket, as it must of been prepaid by the bus company.    Also the Port Authority used decals for buses  at the Lincoln Tunnel in the 1980's as they used that one lone toll lane to the left of the main plaza, to drive through it to accept it.

However, I believe the bus only lane was not for that purpose of prepaid tolls, I believe it was so the buses could have an extension of the XBL into the plaza, even though not partitioned off beyond it as the cars for Secuacus would have to cross their path, it still gave them privacy from the autos and trucks and an express route through the plaza which did used to have a long queue into it almost to the overpass before it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2016, 01:36:12 AM
Do they still have the Bus Only Toll Lane that was originally located in the middle of 16E and 18E?  The lane was open during the same hours as the XBL on Route 495 and the last time I saw it was back in 1994, I believe. 

Now with the EZ Pass thing, I would imagine that those took over that lane that was used.  And if memory served me in the pre EZ Pass Days the bus driver never used cash.  When Somerset Bus Company had their route from Clark into the Port Authority via Cranford, Rosselle, Elizabeth, and Newark, the driver had a coupon that he handed in with his ticket, as it must of been prepaid by the bus company.    Also the Port Authority used decals for buses  at the Lincoln Tunnel in the 1980's as they used that one lone toll lane to the left of the main plaza, to drive through it to accept it.

However, I believe the bus only lane was not for that purpose of prepaid tolls, I believe it was so the buses could have an extension of the XBL into the plaza, even though not partitioned off beyond it as the cars for Secuacus would have to cross their path, it still gave them privacy from the autos and trucks and an express route through the plaza which did used to have a long queue into it almost to the overpass before it.

The buses also had EZ Pass before anyone else.  Not sure how it worked, but there was a lone EZ Pass exit lane for buses headed for the XBL.  There were no entry plazas with EZ Pass. The lane seemed to simply track the buses, such as how those tickets would have worked.

roadman65

That might of also been the lane that had the tracking devices for the time for the buses were located.  It was in the middle and the farthest left 16E lane, which is where the buses afterwards depart for the XBL as they must exit at NJ 3 for Secaucus which is the left split post plaza.  The sign was above the plaza canopy and it was a flip sign of course that was in two panels BUSES and ONLY.

It probably replaced the former coupon the driver used to use before EZ Pass, and it was for the buses only as the companies were flipping the tolls from fare revenue, which makes me wonder why our cabbies in Orlando don't use our version called the Sun Pass.  Our cab drivers wait in line and become victims of road rage when the car in front of them takes more than 30 seconds to pay the tolls, and don't even ask for receipts to get reinbursed either.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Just thought I'd throw out the update on the MUTCD conversion between 9 and 14. No new signs of late, but concrete base pouring and curing is happening at most sign locations in this stretch. I imagine that new signs will start appearing by the early fall period (I know on the Eastern and Western spurs once they got rolling on the actual sign structure erections, it went very quickly).

epzik8

Did the two-roadway setup or whatever that's called along part of the Turnpike reach the PA Turnpike Connector before? You know, the separate travel lanes for different types of vehicles? I didn't think that started till like Exit 9.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

PHLBOS

Quote from: epzik8 on August 16, 2016, 06:20:47 PM
Did the two-roadway setup or whatever that's called along part of the Turnpike reach the PA Turnpike Connector before? You know, the separate travel lanes for different types of vehicles? I didn't think that started till like Exit 9.
The dual-carriageway of the NJTP extension to the PA Turnpike Connector (Exit 6) is relatively recent (roughly 2 years ago). 

Prior to that time, it only reached to just south of Exit 8A with outer/truck lanes being only 4 lanes up south of Exit 9; this piece was added during the late 80s/early 90s.

Prior to then, the dual-carriageway ended just south of Exit 9.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

The old truck/bus and car lane merges used to very near mile marker 73, close to Exit 8A, as mentioned. It is MUCH better now! :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.