News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2016, 06:37:11 PM
The dual-carriageway of the NJTP extension to the PA Turnpike Connector (Exit 6) is relatively recent (roughly 2 years ago). 

Prior to that time, it only reached to just south of Exit 8A with outer/truck lanes being only 4 lanes up south of Exit 9; this piece was added during the late 80s/early 90s.
ISTR that the truck lanes between 8A and 9 (with only 2 in each direction) opened in '89.

Prior to then, the dual-carriageway ended just south of Exit 9.
And the outer roadways between Exits 9 and 10 opened in 1974 -- same year as Exit 7A.  I'm not completely sure, but I think that before then, NB traffic could only get to Exit 10 via the truck lanes.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 24, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
The Atlantic City service area no longer has access to Jimmie Leeds Rd. due to the NJSP Barracks that were constructed there. The good news is there is now a proper Exit 41 interchange off of the highway..... with no toll.
Hey, that wasn't true last time I was down there.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on August 24, 2016, 11:46:08 PM
The Atlantic City service area no longer has access to Jimmie Leeds Rd. due to the NJSP Barracks that were constructed there. The good news is there is now a proper Exit 41 interchange off of the highway..... with no toll.

I was down that way about 3 weeks ago, they do have it blocked off...

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 25, 2016, 10:10:59 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 24, 2016, 11:46:08 PM

I was down that way about 3 weeks ago, they do have it blocked off...
Any idea how long it's been since I've been down there? (:

roadman65

Quote from: lepidopteran on August 24, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
The dual-carriageway of the NJTP extension to the PA Turnpike Connector (Exit 6) is relatively recent (roughly 2 years ago). 

Prior to that time, it only reached to just south of Exit 8A with outer/truck lanes being only 4 lanes up south of Exit 9; this piece was added during the late 80s/early 90s.
ISTR that the truck lanes between 8A and 9 (with only 2 in each direction) opened in '89.

And the outer roadways between Exits 9 and 10 opened in 1974 -- same year as Exit 7A.  I'm not completely sure, but I think that before then, NB traffic could only get to Exit 10 via the truck lanes.
I moved out of NJ in August 1990, and they were not yet opened to traffic then.  In 1989, the road was in the process of being built.   I used to use the road to get to Reedman in Langhorne, PA via the NJ and PA Turnpikes and then exit at former PA Exit 28 and go north on US 1.  I got my car in January of 1989, and had some issues with the car that made me want to take it all the way down there to have services.

The first time I saw it open, was in May 1991, when I made my first visit back to the Garden State, and always remember that silly center lane consolidation that even annoyed my best friend who is not a road geek.  I thought that was as odd as only making the truck lanes two lanes each way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2016, 08:17:35 AM

I moved out of NJ in August 1990, and they were not yet opened to traffic then.  In 1989, the road was in the process of being built.   I used to use the road to get to Reedman in Langhorne, PA via the NJ and PA Turnpikes and then exit at former PA Exit 28 and go north on US 1.  I got my car in January of 1989, and had some issues with the car that made me want to take it all the way down there to have services.

The first time I saw it open, was in May 1991, when I made my first visit back to the Garden State, and always remember that silly center lane consolidation that even annoyed my best friend who is not a road geek.  I thought that was as odd as only making the truck lanes two lanes each way.

I think, at the time, 5 lanes was determined to be what they needed.   They built the outer carriageway to be easily expandable to 3 lanes, but just paved it for 2 lanes.  Even when traffic increased, they never went to 6 lanes southbound because it would just dump more traffic into the merge down to 3 lanes.  On the northbound side, one of the earliest phases of the 6-9 widening was to make the truck lanes 3 lanes wide, since it would immediately improve traffic flow with no adverse effects.

The Turnpike stated that if they stuck to the book, the Turnpike between 6 & 7A would only be 5 lanes wide as that's what the projected traffic volumes call for.  However, they learned from some of the issues of the 8A-9 widening including that when the inner roadway needs to be shut down, that only leaves 2 lanes available for traffic to use on the outer roadway.  Thus, they maintained the 6 lane roadway down south of Exit 6.

They still have the center merge and diverge, but it works amazingly well.  The only downside is that it puts motorists from the center inner roadway lane into the left lane of the 3 lane combined roadway.  Sometimes it can take these slower drivers a while to figure out they need to get their slow asses out of the left lane.   I only wish they did the whole merge/diverge area another mile south, where there's very clear sightlines.  For some reason, they chose to do it on a slight curve with a hill.

roadman65

I do not know why they did not do what they did at the north end where it goes into the two spurs.   Have the turnpike narrow to two lanes after Exit 6 where the three lanes split into two through and two exit lanes.  Just like at the north end were it goes two and two for the two spurs having the center lane split for both ways.  Then the two lanes between merge together at the other end forming the three lanes of the spurs.

This could work well at 6 where the two car and the two truck lanes could come back together as three at the far end of the interchange.  Thus the two lane exit lanes from both the car and truck could merge together to form the three westbound lanes of the extension.  The northbound could have the three lanes split into two and two and at the point of the merge from the extension all come together with two lanes each of the on ramps merging into the car and truck lanes to make the three general lanes for both.

The NB to WB and EB to SB could exit and enter off the truck lanes or have long ramps that merge one mile south of Exit 6 sort of like the extended 14 ramps in Newark do now.

Sheryl Crowe

Steve D

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2016, 08:17:35 AM

The outer lanes between exits 8A and 9 opened in October 1990.....

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 26, 2016, 09:19:13 AM

I think, at the time, 5 lanes was determined to be what they needed.   They built the outer carriageway to be easily expandable to 3 lanes, but just paved it for 2 lanes.  Even when traffic increased, they never went to 6 lanes southbound because it would just dump more traffic into the merge down to 3 lanes.  On the northbound side, one of the earliest phases of the 6-9 widening was to make the truck lanes 3 lanes wide, since it would immediately improve traffic flow with no adverse effects.
I wouldn't say "easily" expandable. All of the structures were built for 2 lanes wide and had to be widened (2006-2009 timeframe) before the widening really got going.

mtantillo

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2016, 12:59:48 PM
I do not know why they did not do what they did at the north end where it goes into the two spurs.   Have the turnpike narrow to two lanes after Exit 6 where the three lanes split into two through and two exit lanes.  Just like at the north end were it goes two and two for the two spurs having the center lane split for both ways.  Then the two lanes between merge together at the other end forming the three lanes of the spurs.

This could work well at 6 where the two car and the two truck lanes could come back together as three at the far end of the interchange.  Thus the two lane exit lanes from both the car and truck could merge together to form the three westbound lanes of the extension.  The northbound could have the three lanes split into two and two and at the point of the merge from the extension all come together with two lanes each of the on ramps merging into the car and truck lanes to make the three general lanes for both.

The NB to WB and EB to SB could exit and enter off the truck lanes or have long ramps that merge one mile south of Exit 6 sort of like the extended 14 ramps in Newark do now.

Jeff addresses why they didn't do this. If the through movements were pinched down into two lane "ramps", then when they have to shut down one roadway for construction, they've introduced an artificial bottleneck, as you'd have 3 lanes squeezing to 2 only to widen back to 3. Better to have 3 lanes throughout, even if that segment a mile south of Exit 6 is massively overbuilt.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mtantillo on August 26, 2016, 10:57:39 PM

Jeff addresses why they didn't do this. If the through movements were pinched down into two lane "ramps", then when they have to shut down one roadway for construction, they've introduced an artificial bottleneck, as you'd have 3 lanes squeezing to 2 only to widen back to 3. Better to have 3 lanes throughout, even if that segment a mile south of Exit 6 is massively overbuilt.

And at one of the public meetings prior to the 6-9 widening, I asked about this very scenario.  They said their numerous simulations showed that the best option was to run the 3 lanes thru the interchange, which I found out later was due to the 8A-9 experiences.

As for going NB to WB at Interchange 6, the Turnpike didn't want to invite unnecessary confusion at an area where there's already a bit of confusion.  Truck drivers seem ok with the area, but you'll occasionally see car drivers quickly change lanes at the last moment, not sure what roadway to be in.  Obviously, either roadway is fine; the inner roadway just is (mainly) truck free.  So the Turnpike kept ramps for Interchange 6 from both roadways, so no matter which roadway you chose, you can access interchange 6.  This also matters if they shut down a roadway.

As for WB to SB at Exit 6, the original plans did have separate ramps for the truck and car lanes. The turnpike decided just to build the ramp to the truck lanes, since the roadways merge together a 1/2 mile later anyway.  If the truck lanes are closed, it usually won't impact this area of the roadway, and some cones keeping motorists in a designed lane would work just as well.

KEVIN_224

@ JEFFANDNICOLE: Wait...I don't think WB to SB is possible at Exit 6 in Mansfield. Google Maps (and my memory) doesn't show that movement.  :hmmm:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 27, 2016, 08:52:20 AM
@ JEFFANDNICOLE: Wait...I don't think WB to SB is possible at Exit 6 in Mansfield. Google Maps (and my memory) doesn't show that movement.  :hmmm:

Here's the movement: https://goo.gl/maps/Y9su17vTpm82

And here's a GSV of the interchange (just before the widening project was completed): https://goo.gl/maps/1KC5PtrJkuq

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 27, 2016, 08:54:51 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 27, 2016, 08:52:20 AM

Here's the movement: https://goo.gl/maps/Y9su17vTpm82

And here's a GSV of the interchange (just before the widening project was completed): https://goo.gl/maps/1KC5PtrJkuq

They did a great job of threading County 678 through exit 6 (before and after the widening).

ixnay

ixnay

I always thought the point of the NB roadway splitting after Joyce Kilmer/before exit 9 was construction that said, "Welcome to the NYC metro!"*  The rest of the ride to exit 16E was/is a greatly extended B'way production number.  (Then again, I was never at the wheel.)

*When the dual/dual was extended below exit 8A, then below exit 6, the effect was somewhat removed.  But I understand the necessity.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on August 27, 2016, 09:47:54 AM

I always thought the point of the NB roadway splitting after Joyce Kilmer/before exit 9 was construction that said, "Welcome to the NYC metro!"*  The rest of the ride to exit 16E was/is a greatly extended B'way production number.  (Then again, I was never at the wheel.)

*When the dual/dual was extended below exit 8A, then below exit 6, the effect was somewhat removed.  But I understand the necessity.

ixnay

Totally agree. Going North, it seems you're barely on the Turnpike for 45 minutes before it widens. And instead of industrial sites and tall buildings, you see farmland. And trees. Maybe an occasional warehouse. Planes flying just above your head and the NYC skyline are nowhere to be found. The dual-dual looks so out of place south of 8A, almost allowing you to forget that you can practically set the cruise control at 85 mph and not be bothered.

mtantillo

Agree that dual-dual so far south looks odd, but so does cruising down the Turnpike at 80 on the Sunday after Thanksgiving! And I'm def not complaining about that!!!

Steve D

Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2016, 05:27:44 PM

I wouldn't say "easily" expandable. All of the structures were built for 2 lanes wide and had to be widened (2006-2009 timeframe) before the widening really got going.
Incorrect.  When the outer lanes were built between 8A and 9 in 1987-90, every structure including overhead bridges and turnpike mainline bridges over local roads were all built to accommodate three lanes.  As jeffandnicole said, only two lanes were paved (to accommodate  the concerns of local residents of East Brunswick).  The only major modifications during the 2009-14 widening were paving the extra lane, moving guard rails, and adding sound walls.  No bridges were widened or re-built in this stretch.

Alps

Quote from: Steve D on August 28, 2016, 09:55:20 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2016, 05:27:44 PM

Incorrect.  When the outer lanes were built between 8A and 9 in 1987-90, every structure including overhead bridges and turnpike mainline bridges over local roads were all built to accommodate three lanes.  As jeffandnicole said, only two lanes were paved (to accommodate  the concerns of local residents of East Brunswick).  The only major modifications during the 2009-14 widening were paving the extra lane, moving guard rails, and adding sound walls.  No bridges were widened or re-built in this stretch.
Yeah, you're right. I never noticed that in all my travels.

SignBridge

A few posts back, I think J&N were actually talking about eastbound to southbound at Exit-6; as Kevin_224 correctly suggested it isn't possible to go westbound to southbound. No problem; we all have these occasional mental-blocks and such. And as I'm finding out, they get more frequent as we get older. LOL 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on August 29, 2016, 09:22:04 PM
A few posts back, I think J&N were actually taking about eastbound to southbound at Exit-6; as Kevin_224 correctly suggested it isn't possible to go westbound to southbound. No problem; we all have these occasional mental-blocks and such. And as I'm finding out, they get more frequent as we get older. LOL 

I definitely need to proofread more!

Or...I hit the wrong letter on the phone's keyboard. EB and WB are just a button apart!

Roadrunner75

The Atlantic City service area no longer has access to Jimmie Leeds Rd. due to the NJSP Barracks that were constructed there. The good news is there is now a proper Exit 41 interchange off of the highway..... with no toll. The Cheesequake "bus parking" entrance was always signed for official use only.
I have seen the state police sit at the top of the bus parking lot at Cheesequake stopping people cutting through.  I've been a lot more wary with these 'secret' exits - there is also one at the Monmouth rest area and the PNC Arts Center as well.

The old entrance at the Atlantic City service area used to actually have a small "Jimmie Leeds Road" sign under the service area exit sign.  It seems like they went back and forth on whether to officially acknowledge it in some way.  The signs at the exit were eventually taken down a few years ago, but it had a traffic light on Jimmie Leeds.  I think the fact that it provided the most direct route to the nearby hospital helped its case on getting it an unofficial exit status.  The new interchange is great, but it's unfortunate that there is no longer access from JLR to the plaza.

Alps

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 29, 2016, 11:16:04 PM
The Atlantic City service area no longer has access to Jimmie Leeds Rd. due to the NJSP Barracks that were constructed there. The good news is there is now a proper Exit 41 interchange off of the highway..... with no toll. The Cheesequake "bus parking" entrance was always signed for official use only.
I have seen the state police sit at the top of the bus parking lot at Cheesequake stopping people cutting through.  I've been a lot more wary with these 'secret' exits - there is also one at the Monmouth rest area and the PNC Arts Center as well.

The old entrance at the Atlantic City service area used to actually have a small "Jimmie Leeds Road" sign under the service area exit sign.  It seems like they went back and forth on whether to officially acknowledge it in some way.  The signs at the exit were eventually taken down a few years ago, but it had a traffic light on Jimmie Leeds.  I think the fact that it provided the most direct route to the nearby hospital helped its case on getting it an unofficial exit status.  The new interchange is great, but it's unfortunate that there is no longer access from JLR to the plaza.
PNC goes straight past a maintenance yard that is usually staffed. While I've seen locals use it, I'd be very wary of that one.

roadman65

Quote from: mtantillo on August 26, 2016, 10:57:39 PM

Not exactly.  He just mentioned the long two lane roadway from 8A to 9.  FYI its already being done at the north end in Newark where the dual carriageway transitions into the the two spurs.  There at that point is more volume than at Exit 6.

I just think in my opinion that having two and two merge is more of way to get the 6 lane to 3 lane traffic down more gradually.  The problem of bottlenecks occurring is not because the road ahead is too narrow, but because the cars coming in from all angles into one spot.  Its like water leaving the bathtub where it takes a long time to empty because all that water has to flow into a two inch pipe.  This would cut down on the amount of cars at one given moment to merge as some of the traffic has been already cut back.

Obviously Jeff said the idea was thought of at the meeting to decide the whole thing that they are worried about the same at 8A and 9, but that would happen here as you are doing the same.  I would think that narrowing of 6 to 3 would be more congested then going from 4 to 3.

Anyway, I did not bring it up because of the traffic counts, but out of curiosity to why they did not choose the same scenario as in Newark at the other end. 

As far as Exit 6 going NB I had no idea there was redundant ramps, and it does not bother me either way as 8A and 9 always did.  However, being the subject is being brought up, you could actually move back the exit ramp for NB 6 about a mile sooner and have it depart before the split.  That too would avoid confusion at the split and already the NJTA done that in Newark as the SB 14 ramp is now before the Car and Truck Lanes split.  You now exit for I-78 on the Eastern and Western Spur proper and no longer from the truck lanes as it has been since the dual carriageway conception back in the late 60's or early 70's.

BTW I am not angry, so this is not intended to be a rage rebuttal but a reply to a discussion that is going on in a calm tone I would like to think.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Along NJTP/I-95 Northbound at Exits 9 & 10; there are now new pull-through BGS' that include I-95 shields along with NJTP shields at the respective exits.

However, it appears that these pull-throughs have the control city/destination legend greened out.  These BGS' are square and are laid out in a 3-line stack:

NORTH     (direction cardinal lettering spread out over both shields)
  95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

My question is; what actually was greened out?  The BGS panel is too narrow to list New York City but could fit either New York or Newark.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.