News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 06, 2016, 03:05:23 PM
Along NJTP/I-95 Northbound at Exits 9 & 10; there are now new pull-through BGS' that include I-95 shields along with NJTP shields at the respective exits.

However, it appears that these pull-throughs have the control city/destination legend greened out.  These BGS' are square and are laid out in a 3-line stack:

NORTH     (direction cardinal lettering spread out over both shields)
  95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

My question is; what actually was greened out?  The BGS panel is too narrow to list New York City but could fit either New York or Newark.
Interesting.  The signs include the I-95 shield, but green out the destinations.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Along NJTP/I-95 Northbound at Exits 9 & 10; there are now new pull-through BGS' that include I-95 shields along with NJTP shields at the respective exits.

However, it appears that these pull-throughs have the control city/destination legend greened out.  These BGS' are square and are laid out in a 3-line stack:

95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

My question is; what actually was greened out?  The BGS panel is too narrow to list New York City but could fit either New York or Newark.

At least at Exit 10, "Newark" would be better, as New York can be easily accessed by staying on the Turnpike, or by taking the exit.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2016, 03:44:34 PM

95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

At least at Exit 10, "Newark" would be better, as New York can be easily accessed by staying on the Turnpike, or by taking the exit.

NJTA policy is that northbound is always signed to New York. This only creates a direct conflict at Exit 16E, but indirect at 14. (10 and 13 can be signed to Staten Island instead.) Only southbound gets the range of destinations from Newark to Wilmington.

dgolub

95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

Why would they have greenout going north?  That makes no sense.  I feel like someone may have goofed and the intent may have been to have greenout over Philadelphia on southbound signs.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on September 06, 2016, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2016, 03:44:34 PM

95 NJTP     (shields)
*greenout*

NJTA policy is that northbound is always signed to New York. This only creates a direct conflict at Exit 16E, but indirect at 14. (10 and 13 can be signed to Staten Island instead.) Only southbound gets the range of destinations from Newark to Wilmington.
Back to my original question: why were the destination listing on the new northbound pull-through signage greened out?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Could the greenout be covering "G Washington Br" or some variant thereof, since the MUTCD doesn't allow use of bridges as control points anymore?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: shadyjay on September 07, 2016, 05:15:22 PM
Could the greenout be covering "G Washington Br" or some variant thereof, since the MUTCD doesn't allow use of bridges as control points anymore?

Much too far south for that.

PHLBOS

The panel's too narrow for such; unless it was worded as G.W. Bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 07, 2016, 03:34:46 PM
Back to my original question: why were the destination listing on the new northbound pull-through signage greened out?
Using my info - my guess sides with having put the wrong destination.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2016, 06:57:29 PM
Fair enough, but why wouldn't that be masked out with the correct destination?  The BGS panels are wide enough to support a New York listing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 07, 2016, 07:11:33 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2016, 06:57:29 PM
Fair enough, but why wouldn't that be masked out with the correct destination?  The BGS panels are wide enough to support a New York listing.

Let's think about this logically.  New York and/or New York City is the control city on the pull-thru signing since entering NJ from Delaware. I think Alps is probably right. The wrong destination is probably being covered. If so, this destination must be Newark.  Instead of having some form of NYC consistently south of Interchange 9 or 10 then abruptly change to Newark, this effectively results in pull-thru destinations out of order to the northbound user.

Putting a form of NYC on the pull-thru at Interchange 10 is by definition a conflict with the Outerbridge Crossing destination at that exit.  The "do nothing" alternative was most likely the easiest or cheapest alternative of all corrections.

storm2k

They're only using the GWB as a destination beyond 16E/W, where it makes sense (since you could take either exit there to get to the Lincoln Tunnel). I'm going to bet they put Newark on those signs when they weren't supposed to.

jeffandnicole

It would be nice if, prior to Exit 10, there was a sign or multiple signs, announcing the exits for various routes to NYC as there are probably a half dozen possibilities.

PHLBOS

IMHO, this is probably one case where the listing of two cities/destinations on one pull-through sign would make the most logical sense; i.e. use the old-school Newark/New York combo that used to be on many northbound entrance ramp signage.  Such would emphasize that the Turnpike passes by/through Newark first and then heads towards the Big Apple (via the G.W. Bridge).

Personally, and I've stated such on other threads; taking the rural approach to highway sign legends (single listings of only cities) and the like in a more populated metropolitan region is not a wise nor rational approach.  Someone's taking the U in MUTCD a bit too literally.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Staten Island is not really New York (in the sense that people don't usually think of it as "New York City" like they do for Manhattan and Brooklyn (at to a lesser extend Bronx and Queens). Sure, you can get to some of these places via the Outerbridge Crossing, but it's not the best way, so I think "New York" is still safe at Exit 10. It's not until Exit 13 that it becomes a problem.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on September 08, 2016, 02:46:19 PM
Staten Island is not really New York (in the sense that people don't usually think of it as "New York City" like they do for Manhattan and Brooklyn (at to a lesser extend Bronx and Queens). Sure, you can get to some of these places via the Outerbridge Crossing, but it's not the best way, so I think "New York" is still safe at Exit 10. It's not until Exit 13 that it becomes a problem.

But it's still New York.

Also, I-287 is an often-used route to New York.

For these reasons, that's why signage with destinations for New York Exits should be posted prior to Exit 10.

bzakharin

I assume that any traffic signs referring to "New York" mean the city and not the state, so I-287 is not often used to get to New York, at least not from anywhere in New Jersey.

ekt8750

Last I checked, Staten Island is both part of the City and the State.

roadman65

Most people are ignorant and think that "New York" or "New York City" is Manhattan.  The rest of the four boroughs have identities of their own in most peoples mind.  Though part of the big city, the island of Manhattan, particularly Midtown is the main part of NY.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2016, 09:07:55 PM
Most people are ignorant and think that "New York" or "New York City" is Manhattan.  The rest of the four boroughs have identities of their own in most peoples mind.  Though part of the big city, the island of Manhattan, particularly Midtown is the main part of NY.

When I hear just "New York," I generally think of the whole state, but that's just me.  When I was in college and would introduce myself to people from other parts of the country, I would explicitly say that I was from New York, the state, not the city.

jwolfer

People from Queens will say they are going into the city meaning going to Manhattan

PHLBOS

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on September 07, 2016, 09:43:02 PMPutting a form of NYC on the pull-thru at Interchange 10 is by definition a conflict with the Outerbridge Crossing destination at that exit.  The "do nothing" alternative was most likely the easiest or cheapest alternative of all corrections.
Recent Exit 129 signage exiting from the southbound GSP (NJTP Exit 11) that directs NYC-bound motorists to I-95 and not onto NJ 440 & the Outerbridge Crossing disproves the notion of a conflict. 

Supplemental BGS for Outerbridge Crossing & Staten Island located prior to the exit ramp
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: jwolfer on September 08, 2016, 10:50:35 PM
People from Queens will say they are going into the city meaning going to Manhattan

Yes, they do, and it makes me want to scream.  They're already in the city, just a different borough.

PHLBOS

Quote from: dgolub on September 09, 2016, 08:43:36 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on September 08, 2016, 10:50:35 PM

Yes, they do, and it makes me want to scream.  They're already in the city, just a different borough.
Again, this is where MUTCD's/FHWA's misguided (IMHO) restriction of only listing city/town names on primary signs as opposed to bridges/tunnels, city sections/boroughs or even state names can cause some issues and/or add more confusion.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

swbrotha100

If the NJTA wants people to use as much of the Turnpike as possible, then I see why they would only point "New York" or "New York City" by traveling the entire length going north to the George Washington Bridge. Its like labeling "To I-95" by going south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge instead of mentioning other exits in between.

As far as New York goes, most people I've met that didn't grow up in the NYC area thought of Manhattan as "the city" and specified the other boroughs by name. From what outsiders see on TV shows and Hollywood, NYC might as well be just Manhattan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.