News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Are you working Thanksgiving, 2014?

Started by ZLoth, November 23, 2014, 06:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

I worked retail for 10 years at a few different Walmart stores. The ones that were Supercenters were open on Thanksgiving. The few years that I worked, I was scheduled from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m., but I usually left at noon. The last couple of years, we rearranged some scheduling to get the day off in my office in the store.

Two years ago, I worked at a hotel. The front desk manager and I each worked 12-hour shifts so that the rest of the staff could have that day off. My family and I had Thanksgiving earlier in the week so I could travel on my days to see them. As a result, I got several days off at Christmas.

I'm glad that I got out of retail by the time Black Friday started this creep into "Gray Thursday". My family has never been the type to shop on that day. Personally, outside of essential services, I think that the only businesses that should be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas are limited in number. Marquette's restaurants take turns opening from year to year so that one is available, usually with a limited menu. I'm not sure the fast food places even bother opening. Not all of the gas stations open, and I suspect that rotates from year to year. Last time I checked, bars are forbidden from operating after a specified hour on Christmas Eve until noon on Boxing Day.

ZLoth

I'm at work now, and in about an hour, it will be Thanksgiving.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

misterjimmy

I have tonight (Wednesday) off, but have to work Thursday night. We were gonna have T-Day dinner tonight, but nobody felt like cooking! What the heck, at least we already got the turkey.
"Clearview sucks. No, seriously: what's with that stupid lower case 'L'?"

signalman

I'm in retail, so today is indeed a work day for me.  I'll be working my normal 5am-1pm shift.  I'm paid time and a half for it, and I don't mind working Thanksgiving.  I go to my dad and step mom's for dinner and they live locally.  IMO, Thanksgiving is a better holiday to work than Christmas, although I've worked plenty of Christmas days too.  Not this one though, it's my turn to have that one off this year.

Pete from Boston

Since I'm lazy, my first thought this morning was that I need to buy a cup of coffee before I hit the road.  Then I realized this creates demand for people to not be home on Thanksgiving, and thought better of it. 

vtk

I work for a company that provides crew transportation for the railroads. The railroads aren't shutting down for the holiday, but most of their industrial customers are, so there should be fewer trains running and less work for my job.

My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday. We have more drivers than vans in Columbus at my company, so this Thursday like any other, I'm waiting for a call from my supervisor or a coworker about getting in a van. If that doesn't happen, I don't work today.

If a business wants to be open on the holiday, that's fine. But the stores having mega sales today are artificially increasing the demand for their wares today (or shifting it from other days, more likely) and increasing the pressure on their employees to work the holiday. Staying open but low-key with a skeleton staff is respectable. Holding a blowout and asking all your employees to show up because you "need" them for the event is a dick move.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CNGL-Leudimin

And since I live across the pond, I had to do my 45 mile commute as every day. Today is like another day here, but we'll have two holidays back to back soon. Too bad this year December 7th is Sunday...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 27, 2014, 08:33:29 AM
And since I live across the pond, I had to do my 45 mile commute as every day. Today is like another day here, but we'll have two holidays back to back soon. Too bad this year December 7th is Sunday...

In the U.S., December 7 is Pearl Harbor Day.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Quote from: vtk on November 27, 2014, 08:31:20 AM

If a business wants to be open on the holiday, that's fine. But the stores having mega sales today are artificially increasing the demand for their wares today (or shifting it from other days, more likely) and increasing the pressure on their employees to work the holiday. Staying open but low-key with a skeleton staff is respectable. Holding a blowout and asking all your employees to show up because you "need" them for the event is a dick move.

:clap:  :nod:  :thumbsup:

I see crew vans working for the KCS and UP all the time, but we don't use them because we are such a small railroad.  What is the name of the company you work for?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

1995hoo

We're having my parents and brother over for dinner. My feet feel like I've been doing manual labor for several days.

We cheated and wound up using a pre-made pie crust after the first two crusts fell apart.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

I'm at work now. It's dead, to say the least.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

signalman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 27, 2014, 08:04:18 AM
Since I'm lazy, my first thought this morning was that I need to buy a cup of coffee before I hit the road.  Then I realized this creates demand for people to not be home on Thanksgiving, and thought better of it. 
Well done.  I wish more thought like you.  Sadly, I don't see thinking along those lines progressing as time goes on.

I have to laugh at people who say things like, "I can't believe that you have to work today" or "I can't believe that you're open."  My response is usually along the lines of, "Well, had you planned ahead a little better, I wouldn't need to be open" or "You stopped in expecting me to be open, didn't you?"

J N Winkler

Other people who work on Thanksgiving:  nurse aides and physical therapists in rehabilitation hospitals and skilled nursing facilities, as well as the patients themselves (you get PT even on Thanksgiving Day itself).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ZLoth

And, I'm at work. Because of the schedule today, I'm working from 8 PM-5 AM instead of 10 PM-7 AM, which means that I will be going to work and back home... in the dark.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Takumi

Despite our sales being valid all day, it was pretty dead until about 8 PM, when the floodgates opened for whatever reason. I'm now trying to forget it with alcohol :spin:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vtk

I wound up having  fairly normal workday, though I managed to spend about an hour between trips with some family members at my dad's house.  I took some pumpkin pie to-go and ate it while waiting for a train.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jdb1234

I got lucky, I had the night off from Walmart.  Everyone else on the night shift at the store I work at had a shift from 5PM to 7AM.

Duke87

On Friday morning someone responded to an email I sent at about 4 PM Wednesday and they were impressed I had been still working at that time.

One interesting aspect of working from home is that when everyone else leaves the office at lunchtime because it's the day before a major holiday, you don't really notice and don't get the message to stop working. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.