News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Leaderboard rundowns show "Truex Jr." even though there's no Truex Sr. in the race.
IIRC, Martin Truex Sr. was a Busch North Series driver in the 80s and 90s. Certainly no overlap with his son, but the Jr. still persists. (Bobby Hillin Sr., from what I’ve read, built open-wheel cars in the 1970s but outside his son’s involvement had little if any NASCAR presence.)

I know Jeb Burton (Ward’s son) has raced in NASCAR for a few years now, but I haven’t paid as much attention to it as I do open wheel, so I haven’t noticed whether they refer to him as Jeb Burton or just J. Burton, since Jeff is long retired but his son Harrison now runs in the Busch/Trucks series.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Takumi on September 14, 2020, 07:40:42 PM
Leaderboard rundowns show "Truex Jr." even though there's no Truex Sr. in the race.
IIRC, Martin Truex Sr. was a Busch North Series driver in the 80s and 90s. Certainly no overlap with his son, but the Jr. still persists. (Bobby Hillin Sr., from what I've read, built open-wheel cars in the 1970s but outside his son's involvement had little if any NASCAR presence.)

I know Jeb Burton (Ward's son) has raced in NASCAR for a few years now, but I haven't paid as much attention to it as I do open wheel, so I haven't noticed whether they refer to him as Jeb Burton or just J. Burton, since Jeff is long retired but his son Harrison now runs in the Busch/Trucks series.

They refer to him as Jeb because Jeff's son Harrison also races.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kenarmy

Omg yes I hate all the burton prefix things, but I haven't seen any of them racing recently.

- The Jacksonville Jaguars colors. Gross.
- The Cleveland Browns colors. Gross. Really orange and brown?
- Danica Patrick not winning a race before she retired
- Daniel Suaréz getting done down right dirty. He won the xfinity series championship and now he's struggling to find a full-time ride.
- Dodge leaving NASCAR, even though they won the championship in their last year.
- The entire Penske team
- Michael Waltrip's voice. I like him though
- Darrell Waltrip retiring therefore I no longer hear "boogity boogity boogity lets go racing boys"  :-/
- Competition Cautions
- Beyonce not performing Beautiful Liar at the superbowl with Shakira.
- Bristol Motor Speedway's existence. Gross
- The NY Jets. Do I really need to explain.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Alps

Quote from: kenarmy on February 18, 2021, 02:09:54 PM
The Jets are just sad. Why do they annoy you?

kenarmy

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2021, 11:48:27 PM

1. Their logo is so unattractive and the recent update made it even worse.
2. It's already bad enough that we have the poo poo Giants in New York.
3. What are "jets" anyway.. Like yeah the thing in the sky but what? (Ok but I have to admit the "jets flight club" is a neat name for the cheerleaders)
4. Their W-L records. embarrassing.
5. The franchise is just so boring.. What fun am I going to have by being a Jets fan? Painting myself Green? It must be mentally exhausting.

Alps

Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 12:46:23 AM

3. What are "jets" anyway.. Like yeah the thing in the sky but what? (Ok but I have to admit the "jets flight club" is a neat name for the cheerleaders)
5. The franchise is just so boring.. What fun am I going to have by being a Jets fan? Painting myself Green? It must be mentally exhausting.

... why does a team you're not a fan of annoy you? that's embarrassing

kenarmy

Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2021, 12:54:38 AM

aren't we all not fans of things that annoy us? But that's just me. Maybe I'll make a questionnaire for myself to figure out the answer.

zachary_amaryllis

'delay of game' penalties.

first thing that happens when this is called, is the clock is stopped, thus delaying the game even further.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 19, 2021, 07:25:37 AM

first thing that happens when this is called, is the clock is stopped, thus delaying the game even further.

I know it's the letter of the rule, but I hate when refs blow it dead when the snap is simultaneous with the clock hitting 0. Usually what happens is teams get an extra second because the ref has to look at the clock and then at the ball, but sometimes they'll nail teams right when it hits zero.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

snowc

When the other team in NFL runs the football toward the endzone without anyone stopping him.
Going for 2 points to tie the game (OT)
Constant advertisements about State Farm and Jake.
When CBS advertises stuff that is BLANTENTLY unrelated to football (were talking to you nantz and romo)
Patriots (now Bucs) winning the super bowl (yawn...)
and save the best for last
THE HAIL MURRAY!!!  :banghead:

edited for excessive animation

snowc

Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2021, 12:54:38 AM

ooof... even though im not a fan of the jets, im still a partial jets fan from time to time.

webny99

Quote from: snowc on February 19, 2021, 02:15:09 PM

Why does that bother you?

It happened against the local team here in Western NY, and I'm not annoyed by it. Sure, it was a gut-punch at the time, but it was also one of the most incredible plays of the season, and it fueled the Bills to six straight double-digit wins to end the season.

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 11:36:13 AM

It happened against the local team here in Western NY, and I'm not annoyed by it. Sure, it was a gut-punch at the time, but it was also one of the most incredible plays of the season, and it fueled the Bills to six straight double-digit wins to end the season.
It irks me because of the fact that the Bills were up 28-24 and then Kyle Murray had to throw it all the way to the endzone and thats how The cardinals won.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: snowc on February 21, 2021, 12:12:48 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 11:36:13 AM

It irks me because of the fact that the Bills were up 28-24 and then Kyle Murray had to throw it all the way to the endzone and thats how The cardinals won.

From the guy whose team was the victim of the original Hail Mary and stuck in the same division as the "master"  of the play, you're good.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 19, 2021, 07:25:37 AM

For that matter any penalty that is declined.  Is it really necessary to waste time telling us about it?

texaskdog

When 1 point will tie and two points will win it and they just take the one and take their chances in OT.  Just be ballsy and go for it!!

Anything having to do with Flo.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 21, 2021, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: snowc on February 21, 2021, 12:12:48 PM

From the guy whose team was the victim of the original Hail Mary and stuck in the same division as the "master"  of the play, you're good.

Yes, I'm sure you were tremendously pained by it back in 1975  :-D

(I really don't have a strong take on this issue, I just like it when wild stuff happens no matter who it's for or against.)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2021, 10:25:14 PM

When 1 point will tie and two points will win it and they just take the one and take their chances in OT.  Just be ballsy and go for it!!

Unwritten rule is go for 1 at home and go for 2 on the road.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

texaskdog

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 21, 2021, 11:29:28 PM

Most coaches have the main goal of staying in as long as they can.  If they lose in OT it won't be their fault.  If they go for it and fail, it will.  The whole risk aversion principle. Statisically you make it going for two half as often as going for one so it's really a coin toss anyway, and why not put it away while you can instead of letting the coin decide.  Oh yeah, they all trust their defenses more than their offenses.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: texaskdog on February 23, 2021, 06:29:14 PM

Most coaches have the main goal of staying in as long as they can.  If they lose in OT it won't be their fault.  If they go for it and fail, it will.  The whole risk aversion principle. Statisically you make it going for two half as often as going for one so it's really a coin toss anyway, and why not put it away while you can instead of letting the coin decide.  Oh yeah, they all trust their defenses more than their offenses.

The perception is that if you go for 1 and lose in overtime, it's the players' fault, but if you go for 2 and don't get it, it's the coach's fault, which is why you rarely see teams go for 2.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 24, 2021, 07:32:36 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 23, 2021, 06:29:14 PM

The perception is that if you go for 1 and lose in overtime, it's the players' fault, but if you go for 2 and don't get it, it's the coach's fault, which is why you rarely see teams go for 2.
Over the last few years, it feels like more teams are going for two than not. Statistically, it's slightly better to play for overtime (50% overtime win chance vs 49.5% two point conversion chance). That doesn't factor in the chance that the other team could win the game with a quick score on the ensuing possession (i.e. Packers score a TD and get two to go up 21-20 with 0:30 left, but Bears win 23-21 on a last second FG).

Of course, two point conversion success rates have risen over the last few years. It seems like every coach has a two-point play that they're confident in. Because the win percentages are so similar, I can understand both sides of it.

But something similar that I don't understand is the mentality around ties. Maybe it's a "me tough guy me no ties"  thing. But if you listened to the media and knew nothing about sports, you would legitimately think that losses are better than ties. Yes, it's a boring and anticlimactic outcome for a neutral fan. But if you call yourself a good athlete yet you would rather lose than tie, you're delusional. Ties are better than losses 100% of the time.

mgk920

Especially since in most of the sports that allow them, draws are counted in the standings as either a third or half of a win.  Much, much better than a straight up loss.

:nod:

Mike

bm7

I don't watch it much, but what annoys me about college basketball is the intentional fouls at the end of close games. Besides making the last minute of game time take forever, the fact that getting a foul is advantageous is ridiculous. The point of a foul is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules of the game. If that punishment is putting your team in a better position, clearly something should be changed. But nobody seems bothered by this and it's just "part of the game".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bm7 on February 27, 2021, 03:43:05 PM
I don't watch it much, but what annoys me about college basketball is the intentional fouls at the end of close games. Besides making the last minute of game time take forever, the fact that getting a foul is advantageous is ridiculous. The point of a foul is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules of the game. If that punishment is putting your team in a better position, clearly something should be changed. But nobody seems bothered by this and it's just "part of the game".

All levels of basketball are like this, including Pro and HS as well.

There is something inherently wrong with this.  Football has it to a minor extent that only works occasionally, and there are rules in place to make sure a team can't do this multiple times to their advantage.  Baseball, same thing, especially in terms of a intentional walk.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2021, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: bm7 on February 27, 2021, 03:43:05 PM

All levels of basketball are like this, including Pro and HS as well.

There is something inherently wrong with this.  Football has it to a minor extent that only works occasionally, and there are rules in place to make sure a team can't do this multiple times to their advantage.  Baseball, same thing, especially in terms of a intentional walk.

Here's an idea that could work for both football and basketball: eliminate the game clock. Take the average number of possessions per game and award each team that number of possessions, regardless of how long it takes. Keep the play/shot clocks to prevent the individual possessions from becoming too long.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.