News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2018, 08:13:12 AM
Quote from: AlpsIt's weird that they wouldn't have built ramps accommodating this movement at a new freeway to freeway interchange, per MUTCD/FHWA standard

In my experience, FHWA only gets picky on this when it's an Interstate.  But even then they've granted waivers...I-494/US 169 for example.

Where is it shown in the MUTCD?
You're right, it makes no sense to be in the MUTCD. FHWA standard, then.

Tonytone

Hello, Happy Holidays, I just went for a drive & took pics of the new SR1 Ramp they opened. (Some are blurry sorry)

Delaware did a pretty good job with this, Nice smooth merge, Easy directions. Cant wait for the whole thing to open.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Roadsguy

Is the ramp currently striped for one lane even after it merges with the last bit of NB 301 all the way onto DE 1?

Also, what does that sign between the no left turn and no u-turn signs say in the first picture? Something about the separation?

Can't wait to drive this next week!
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 24, 2018, 11:49:54 PM
Is the ramp currently striped for one lane even after it merges with the last bit of NB 301 all the way onto DE 1?

Also, what does that sign between the no left turn and no u-turn signs say in the first picture? Something about the separation?

Can't wait to drive this next week!
I believe it does merge into one lane, But I am not sure, the signs are for the lanes going straight , telling them not to turn onto the ramp or make a UTurn.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

ixnay

Quote from: AlpsIt's weird that they wouldn't have built ramps accommodating this movement at a new freeway to freeway interchange, per MUTCD/FHWA standard

In my experience, FHWA only gets picky on this when it's an Interstate.  But even then they've granted waivers...I-494/US 169 for example.

Where at the I-494/U.S. 169 interchange is this evident?  I'd like to see it on GSV.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

NE2

Quote from: ixnay on December 25, 2018, 05:54:49 AM

Where at the I-494/U.S. 169 interchange is this evident?  I'd like to see it on GSV.
Where is what evident? That there aren't full connections?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ipeters61

Got a sneak preview of a bit of one of the exit signs from DE-1 SB to US-301 SB today (thanks to a partially uncovered section of the sign).  It looks like this will be Exit 147 off DE-1 and the control city for US-301 is Annapolis.

Also, there was a new toll plaza sign 1/2 mile out from the DE-1 Biddles Corner toll plaza (near the canal), with APL style arrows and a yellow backed "Pay Toll 1/2 Mile" in the upper right corner.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jp the roadgeek

Google Maps has officially added the new roadway.  It's currently marked in red as closed until January 5th, but it is now on there. However, existing 301 markers have not been removed from the old route, including the 896 concurrency to Glasgow.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NJRoadfan

Is it still on target for a Jan. 1st opening? I plan on heading that way Tuesday morning if so.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 29, 2018, 11:38:15 AM
Is it still on target for a Jan. 1st opening? I plan on heading that way Tuesday morning if so.

It is extremely unlikely staff would be working on a holiday to open a new highway.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 29, 2018, 02:51:36 AM
Google Maps has officially added the new roadway.  It's currently marked in red as closed until January 5th, but it is now on there. However, existing 301 markers have not been removed from the old route, including the 896 concurrency to Glasgow.
Hasn't it been on Google Maps for a while now?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

usends

For those of you planning to drive this new route when it opens, kindly remember US Ends .com in your travels  :biggrin: 
We will be happy to credit you for your photos of US 301 signage at its new endpoint/beginning point, as well as the last northbound 301 marker, and the first southbound marker.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

ipeters61

Quote from: usends on December 30, 2018, 10:38:07 AM
For those of you planning to drive this new route when it opens, kindly remember US Ends .com in your travels  :biggrin: 
We will be happy to credit you for your photos of US 301 signage at its new endpoint/beginning point, as well as the last northbound 301 marker, and the first southbound marker.
I am hoping to make a video of my trip as soon as I find out it's opening! (if it is Tuesday, I'll just make the trip then, if not then I'll make the trip next weekend....it's only about a 30 minute drive for me to the northern terminus)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ipeters61

Just contacted DelDOT's public information line and it appears that it will be opening after January 1, they are working on final preparations.  Not surprising since it looked like the ramp from DE-1 SB to US-301 SB needed some more work before opening when I saw it on Wednesday.  I'm hoping it will be within the coming days though!
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Someone on OSM marked it open and someone else added exit numbers that weren't on the map before. Has it actually opened or are some people jumping the gun?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

According to Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable site), it claims the exits will have mileage-based numbered exits. Is this accurate?

froggie

^^ There's been no new news on the opening since last week, when the Middletown paper noted there was not yet an opening date.  DelDOT has posted a construction and lane closure schedule for next week...and while it doesn't explicitly mention a roadway opening, the continuation of construction suggests it won't happen next week.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 04, 2019, 05:02:46 PM
According to Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable site), it claims the exits will have mileage-based numbered exits. Is this accurate?
I don't know myself, but judging by this picture on https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2019/01/01/mayor-says-middletown-continue-prosper-2019/2362166002/, it shows the first exit in Delaware as "Exit 2" and is indeed 2 miles from the state line. I would say yes.

Alps

Latest update: "We missed our completion date, and we're looking at the weather to pick a new one, but it definitely will not be within the next week or this coming weekend."

cl94

Quote from: Alps on January 07, 2019, 01:10:16 PM
Latest update: "We missed our completion date, and we're looking at the weather to pick a new one, but it definitely will not be within the next week or this coming weekend."

As much as I wanted to drive it this coming Saturday, it certainly makes it easier to get new miles if I can avoid it. Not a ton I can get along that corridor that's remotely fast.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ixnay

Got a link?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

Quote from: ixnay on January 09, 2019, 06:09:33 AM

Got a link?

ixnay
That sounds to me like an email.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 08:10:49 AM
Quote from: ixnay on January 09, 2019, 06:09:33 AM

Got a link?

ixnay
That sounds to me like an email.
Phone paraphrase.

ipeters61

Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
It's opening tomorrow: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2019/01/09/u-s-301-mainline-set-open-thursday-after-morning-rush-hour/2523420002/

I'm going to try to head up there on Saturday morning to make a video if I can.

Evidently DelDOT predicts openings the same way Windows predicts the time file copying takes. :spin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.