News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2023, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2023, 10:35:48 AM
TV shows or movies that you have fond memories of from your childhood.  Almost without fail, if you go back and watch them now, you wonder how you ever thought they were so great.

Prime example for me:  the movie Milo and Otis

Honorable mention:  the series Gilligan's Island
I didn't think Gilligan's Island was that funny when I was a kid.

No they exaggerated way too much. Like Gilligan's naive nature when a helicopter came and landed on the island instead of a boat to pick up that guy who was part of a radio contest to see if he could live on a deserted island for days. Of course telling the world the castaways was alive would end his claim for the big prize that they were offering him, so he didn't tell anyone.

When the castaways all found out, they tried to intercept the boat that they thought would pick up the contest participant. However a chopper came and Gilligan was the only one other than the contestant to actually see it where Gilligan had no reaction to it as per instructions the Skipper told him: "say something when you see a boat come ashore." Of course any human, especially Gilligan, should have common sense enough to know that helicopter was the means to get a crooked radio contestant off the island.

Basically Gilligan's naiveitivity was overrated and it wasn't all that funny at times.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

I can still sing, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be ..."

We watched Gilligan every afternoon after school. It got to be a contest to see who could identify the episode first.

And did every episode start with Gilligan yelling, "Skipper!" or the Skipper yelling, "Gilligan!"?

roadman65

Another note of interest. Gilligan is in the same category as Quincy and McGyver. All are called by their surnames and no reference to their first names, although McGyver was later revealed to be Angus like later Seinfeld revealed Kramer to be Cosmo.

However, like Jack Klugmans ME character, people treated his last name as his first.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 06:14:53 PM
Another note of interest. Gilligan is in the same category as Quincy and McGyver. All are called by their surnames and no reference to their first names, although McGyver was later revealed to be Angus like later Seinfeld revealed Kramer to be Cosmo.

However, like Jack Klugmans ME character, people treated his last name as his first.

Pretty sure Mrs. Howell called her husband Thurston, at least some of the time.

The Professor didn't have a last name.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on November 06, 2023, 06:33:32 PM

Yes it was Hinkley. Plus the Skipper was Jonas Grumsby. Both were mentioned in some episodes. Also Lovey Howell was actually Eunice Howell and Maryann was Maryann Summers revealed in an episode.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2023, 10:35:48 AM
TV shows or movies that you have fond memories of from your childhood.  Almost without fail, if you go back and watch them now, you wonder how you ever thought they were so great.

Prime example for me:  the movie Milo and Otis

Honorable mention:  the series Gilligan's Island

Rocko's Modern Life was this for me once I was old enough to understand the entendres. Not particularly amusing and the show was just not interesting.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dlsterner

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 06:39:55 PM

Yes it was Hinkley. Plus the Skipper was Jonas Grumsby. Both were mentioned in some episodes. Also Lovey Howell was actually Eunice Howell and Maryann was Maryann Summers revealed in an episode.

The Professor also has a first name - Roy.  I've also hear stories (not sure if true or not) that if a first name were to be revealed for Gilligan, it would be Willie.  But that never happened in any episode.

kphoger

Yep.  One of our sons has the unusual middle name of Torsten.  When people ask about it, I explain that it's the Norse origin of the more-common names Dustin and Thurston.  If they then seem puzzled about the name Thurston, I refer them to Gilligan's Island and Thurston Howell III.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

The one I find most unusual is Philip K. Fish (portrayed by Abe Vigoda) on Barney Miller.  Everyone, including his wife, called him Fish.  I can see his coworkers doing that.  But his wife?

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 07, 2023, 09:58:04 AM
The one I find most unusual is Philip K. Fish (portrayed by Abe Vigoda) on Barney Miller.  Everyone, including his wife, called him Fish.  I can see his coworkers doing that.  But his wife?

Heck, I rarely ever call my wife by her own first name!  It's almost always Sweetie, or Honey, or whatever.  (I don't call her Whatever.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2023, 10:27:09 AM

Heck, I rarely ever call my wife by her own first name!  It's almost always Sweetie, or Honey, or whatever.  (I don't call her Whatever.)

That's thoughtful of you to use a common noun when calling her whatever.

Rothman

"The Fish TV show
You know, with Abe Vigoda..."

(Fish was a spinoff...)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Hmm, I always thought Gilligan was his first name.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:43:58 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2022, 12:34:43 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:19:30 PM
You do realize Christmas technically goes past the 25th?  My wife lost her shit one year when I started taking decorations down before the Epiphany. 

I saw a discussion earlier this month on another forum about when the Christmas season begins. My response: December 25. The four weeks prior that day are the Advent season.

Right, and to someone like my wife who also happens to be traditionally Catholic that actually means something to her.

Regarding MMM's statement about the emergency of decorations.  The change over usually occurs right as I'm taking Halloween decor down.  It's convenient for me to put the Christmas stuff up as the Halloween stuff goes back into storage, why work two days outside when I do everything at once?  Also, putting up the Christmas decor makes my wife happy given she enjoys the season.  This might actually shock the likes of MMM, but I actually do enjoy putting effort into things I know will make my wife happy. 

Ugh...  Hopefully this doesn't come to any ugliness:

My wife posted on Facebook the other day about how we celebrate Epiphany on January 6.  One of her customers who is very proudly Roman Catholic commented (maybe a little snarkily) that the Epiphany of the Lord is on January 7, not January 6.  Apparently, going by some cursory research I've just done, this goes back to 1970, when Latin Rite Catholics moved the Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord (the liturgical feast day) to the first Sunday after January 1.  Last year that put the Solemnity on January 2, this year on January 7.

We're not Catholics of any variety.  Most people in our congregation don't even know what Epiphany is to begin with.  I just choose to observe all twelve days and then Epiphany on day thirteen.

So, out of curiosity, when does your wife think it's OK to take down the decorations?  January 6, or the first Sunday after January 1?
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2024, 06:52:25 PM
Pentatonix is overrated.

I'm impressed by any musical act that can rip off both Jerry Lee Lewis and Led Zeppelin in a manner of seconds in a song not even a minute long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrruJptmbKU

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:43:58 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2022, 12:34:43 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:19:30 PM
You do realize Christmas technically goes past the 25th?  My wife lost her shit one year when I started taking decorations down before the Epiphany. 

I saw a discussion earlier this month on another forum about when the Christmas season begins. My response: December 25. The four weeks prior that day are the Advent season.

Right, and to someone like my wife who also happens to be traditionally Catholic that actually means something to her.

Regarding MMM's statement about the emergency of decorations.  The change over usually occurs right as I'm taking Halloween decor down.  It's convenient for me to put the Christmas stuff up as the Halloween stuff goes back into storage, why work two days outside when I do everything at once?  Also, putting up the Christmas decor makes my wife happy given she enjoys the season.  This might actually shock the likes of MMM, but I actually do enjoy putting effort into things I know will make my wife happy. 

Ugh...  Hopefully this doesn't come to any ugliness:

My wife posted on Facebook the other day about how we celebrate Epiphany on January 6.  One of her customers who is very proudly Roman Catholic commented (maybe a little snarkily) that the Epiphany of the Lord is on January 7, not January 6.  Apparently, going by some cursory research I've just done, this goes back to 1970, when Latin Rite Catholics moved the Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord (the liturgical feast day) to the first Sunday after January 1.  Last year that put the Solemnity on January 2, this year on January 7.

We're not Catholics of any variety.  Most people in our congregation don't even know what Epiphany is to begin with.  I just choose to observe all twelve days and then Epiphany on day thirteen.

So, out of curiosity, when does your wife think it's OK to take down the decorations?  January 6, or the first Sunday after January 1?

When I was a kid, in my family and my grandparents' family it was January 6.  But this year I wanted the help of my child who's going back to college this weekend, so we're taking them down early.

We follow some of the Christian traditions because they're pretty, not because we are true believers.

1995hoo

Most years, we leave the Christmas stuff up and lit through and including January 6, the traditional date of the Epiphany (even though on the Catholic liturgical calendar in the US it seldom falls on that date now, as kphoger noted—BTW, I'm Catholic and my wife is Episcopalian). We may not take it down immediately—usually that happens when we have time, which is usually over Martin Luther King weekend—but it is not lit after January 6. The tree is on a timer. Sometimes we will unplug it early if we go out of town for a week, but it seldom gets taken down before MLK weekend.

We didn't put up any outside lights this year because we simply didn't get around to it. Our community rules say that any outdoor holiday decorations must be taken down within two weeks after said holiday except that outdoor "December holiday decorations" must be taken down by January 15. I'm always tempted to leave the outdoor Christmas lights up, and lit, through January 21 and then, if they complain, tell them that the lights are for Orthodox Christmas, which is on January 7, and therefore the lights are within the rules. But I've never bothered.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bing101

Anyplace that has more tourists than locals is a warning sign that it's over rated as seen here.

GaryV

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2024, 08:57:41 PM
Our community rules say that any outdoor holiday decorations must be taken down within two weeks after said holiday except that outdoor "December holiday decorations" must be taken down by January 15. I'm always tempted to leave the outdoor Christmas lights up, and lit, through January 21 and then, if they complain, tell them that the lights are for Orthodox Christmas, which is on January 7, and therefore the lights are within the rules. But I've never bothered.

Leave them up till January 29, and just tell the HOA that they're Martin Luther King Jr Day lights.  Prove me wrong!  :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2024, 11:23:09 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2024, 08:57:41 PM
Our community rules say that any outdoor holiday decorations must be taken down within two weeks after said holiday except that outdoor "December holiday decorations" must be taken down by January 15. I'm always tempted to leave the outdoor Christmas lights up, and lit, through January 21 and then, if they complain, tell them that the lights are for Orthodox Christmas, which is on January 7, and therefore the lights are within the rules. But I've never bothered.

Leave them up till January 29, and just tell the HOA that they're Martin Luther King Jr Day lights.  Prove me wrong!  :awesomeface:

I'm tempted to make a joke about how the outside lights are white lights, but that might be in poor taste.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 05, 2024, 01:43:42 PM
I'm tempted to make a joke about how the outside lights are white lights, but that might be in poor taste.

At least they aren't colored.

Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Rothman

19th-Century American rugged individualism.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.