News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Tom Petty

Started by US71, October 02, 2017, 04:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Tom Petty of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers reported dead following a heart attack.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

His death will rightly be overshadowed by Vegas, but I will honor Mr Petty with a spin through his discography this afternoon. What a loss. My favorite Traveling Wilbury...

Although, I've also heard that he's not technically dead yet.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on October 02, 2017, 05:12:31 PM
His death will rightly be overshadowed by Vegas, but I will honor Mr Petty with a spin through his discography this afternoon. What a loss. My favorite Traveling Wilbury, dead.

Although, I've also heard that he's not technically dead yet.

Yeah, they've only turned off life support.

adventurernumber1

This is truly a tragic loss.

I just heard the news from my mother a few short minutes ago. My jaw dropped right afterward. I am not educated on any health issues the man may have faced to cause this, but I was not expecting this at all, as he was only 66 years old (and seemingly, according to his birth date, he was very close to turning 67).

Rest in peace, Tom..  :-(
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

02 Park Ave

Not so according to the 5:00 pm newscast on WGN-TV.
C-o-H

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 02, 2017, 06:44:37 PM
Not so according to the 5:00 pm newscast on WGN-TV.

Apparently it's now official. A spokesman for the family has confirmed his passing

roadman

I'll have to dig out my copy of FM and watch it again - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers did a cameo in it.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

This one hurts.  Did get a chance to see him once on the 1990 tour with Lenny Kravitz as his opening act.  Great show that I almost didn't get to see because of the dress code for the luxury box section where we had tickets: no jeans, and no sneakers.  I was wearing cords, but I had sneakers on.  Fortunately, the Hartford Civic Center used to have a mall, and my friends and I went down to a clothing store and each of us bought a pair of those Totes slip over rubber golashes to put over our sneakers.  Bought them, put them on, went back to the entrance, got in, and enjoyed the show.  My mom saw him 5 years later from the front row of the New Haven Coliseum, and Mike Campbell threw his pick after the show, and she got it.  Still has it to this day.  What's  freaky is that I randomly decided to listen to a Petty/Roger McGuinn song as I fell asleep Sunday night.  Turns out it was right around the time that he collapsed.  Great musician; loved his music.  RIP
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

I wasn't expecting this either.  Rest in peace Thomas Earl Petty, and may you and your music never be forgotten.  :no:

Always sad to see people go, especially when they're younger than my grandparents (all born 1941-42 and still kicking).  :verymad:
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

cjk374

Almost all of the good ones die sooner rather than later.

1. Tom Petty.

2. Jimmy Hendrix

3. SRV

4. Curt Cobain (sp?) (added for those who enjoyed his music...I wasn't a fan, but he was well loved)

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AsphaltPlanet

Tom Petty died?  What a heartbreaker.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on October 03, 2017, 09:11:40 PM
Almost all of the good ones die sooner rather than later.

1. Tom Petty.

2. Jimmy Hendrix

3. SRV

4. Curt Cobain (sp?) (added for those who enjoyed his music...I wasn't a fan, but he was well loved)

2 and 4 fell victim to the 27 curse, along with Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Ron Pigpen McKernan, and Amy Winehouse.  And then there were Ronnie Van Zandt (29), Otis Redding (26), Buddy Holly (22), and Ritchie Valens (17) who were all killed in aviation accidents like SRV.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 03, 2017, 09:24:13 PM
Tom Petty died?  What a heartbreaker.

The conflicting reports yesterday were to be expected because you can stand him up at the gates of hell but he won't back down.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

If these jokes keep up, I'm going to free-fall off a building.

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on October 03, 2017, 10:46:55 PM
If these jokes keep up, I'm going to free-fall of a building.
Then Don't Come Around Here No More

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Big John on October 03, 2017, 11:03:04 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 03, 2017, 10:46:55 PM
If these jokes keep up, I'm going to free-fall of a building.
Then Don't Come Around Here No More

Then he would...have...to live like a refugee.

Rothman

...running down a dream.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

21stCenturyRoad

He may be gone, but I won't back down.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

bing101

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

One of Tom Petty's best songs though Free fallin.

jakeroot

^^
Damn, that chick in the video was smokin'.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on October 04, 2017, 12:20:55 AM
^^
Damn, that chick in the video was smokin'.

Dadgummit, you sure are right about that!!!  :nod:  :-o  :bigass:

And for anyone who would like to watch some good road videos that feature a lot of Tom Petty's great music, here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2G6o3a1jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoTHOBjcYM&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGj0B4co2ug

Tom Petty will indeed be forever missed, but may his music live on..  :-(

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

He was the first concert I saw in the old Byrne Arena after it opened.  He had Split Enz open for him, and then two years later I saw him again there but had no opener.

Loved his music and sad that he died.  However, the Vegas shootings took the focus away even more sadly as I think if that fiasco was not happening more news of course would have gave him a better send off.

I even still have his Damn The Torpedos and Hard Promises on Vinyl.  Oh yes I have the one after with You Got Lucky on it as well, as its been so long the name eludes me as I have not played records in a long time.  I have his solo album on cd though and on it he made references at the point where the first record side would end, on the cd that "Some of you have to turn the record over, while the ones who have the cd can sit back and do nothing."  I do not know if the later  cds would have it or not, but it was comical to have him say that on Full Moon Fever poking fun at old record users.

He will be missed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZilHLa6pvk

Here's a roadgeek video where Tom Petty was used.

jakeroot

^^
There are several Tom Petty songs that I'd like to put in my own videos (not all road related) but I'm not sure how to prevent them from being dinged by copyright.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.