News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People who call garbage gar-bahj

Started by bandit957, October 05, 2017, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Ever hear anyone pronounce "garbage" like it's French? They pronounce it so it sounds like "garage" only with a 'b' in the middle. "Gar-bahj."

My mom used to do this, and I didn't think anyone else did this until I heard a teacher in grade school do this.

"I need to empty the gar-bahj."

"I found some gum in the gar-bahj."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Maybe garbage collecters with a badge.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

briantroutman

It came from an ad campaign in the 1970s where Jonathan Winters portrayed a fastidious British-accented trash collector:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bandit957 on October 05, 2017, 10:10:37 AM
Ever hear anyone pronounce "garbage" like it's French? They pronounce it so it sounds like "garage" only with a 'b' in the middle. "Gar-bahj."

My mom used to do this, and I didn't think anyone else did this until I heard a teacher in grade school do this.

"I need to empty the gar-bahj."

"I found some gum in the gar-bahj."
What is with you and used gum and gar-bahj?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Jardine

I've been known to say tah-bul instead of table

:-D

MikeTheActuary

I got my gar-bahj receptacles at Tar-zhaay.

english si

Quote from: briantroutman on October 05, 2017, 10:42:25 AMIt came from an ad campaign in the 1970s where Jonathan Winters portrayed a fastidious British-accented trash collector:
British-accented? Sounds American to me!

Posher Brits say /ɡæˈrɑːʒ/ (gah-rahj) rather than the standard En-UK /ˈɡærɪdʒ/ (ga-rige) for garage, but I've never heard 'gah-bahj'.

Brandon

Why?  How the hell do you pronounce it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

I've heard people pronounce it that way as something of a joke all my life.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Revive 755

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 05, 2017, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 05, 2017, 12:10:42 PM
I got my gar-bahj receptacles at Tar-zhaay.

Is that next to Mar-SHAHLls?

No, next to Joc Pa-nay  :spin:

Think I've usually heard it as Tarj-ay.

inkyatari

There was a horrible TV movie about a killer tornado that destroyed Chicago.  I think it was called Category 6.  Anyway, in the movie, Nancy McKeon played a Chicago TV reporter, and in trying to chase the tornado, said "Turn on Armitage!"

In Chicago, we pronounce it ARM-I-TIGE.  She pronounced it ARM-I-TAHJ
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.