News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge Replacement

Started by The Great Zo, November 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 31, 2023, 12:18:45 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on December 31, 2023, 12:51:54 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 31, 2023, 12:12:19 AM
I don't see the problem with the proposal. It looks great.

It looks like on the Ohio side, it will be taking up quite a bit of valuable real estate, and will initially work to further divide the area that I-75 bisects.  If they come back and cover it up later, these issues will be somewhat mitigated.

One thing is for certain: the construction phase will be pure hell.  They need to emphasize using all of 275 as alternate routes for all non-Cincinnati-bound traffic, regardless of how far out of the way it can be.  A few days ago, Control City Freak released a YouTube video about I-275, and pointed out that much of it has no control cities.  In Kentucky, at the 71/75/275 stack, they should bite the bullet and sign the 275 outer loop for Columbus and Dayton, and the inner loop for Indianapolis.  And make similar signage at the 71 and 75 interchanges with 275 in Ohio, with Louisville and Lexington as the control cities for the inner loop, and I think they already have Indianapolis signed for the outer loop due to its brief duplex with 74.  Either way, get as much traffic out of that work zone as humanly possible.

Oh I never thought about the fact that 275 doesn't have control cities. That's not helping Cincinnati's inward-facing reputation at all.

I haven't looked at all the project specifics, but just how much "real" life does the current Brent Spence have left before it will need to be replaced altogether?  I thought I heard that there is only so much they can do before having to talk unavoidable replacement?

If that's the case, then one would think they would need to plan now for future ramps, ROW's and roadway tie-ins to the new sister bridge when the original bridge is replaced and/or closed.

seicer

The existing 1963 Brent Spence Bridge will be rehabilitated when the new companion structure opens around 2029, and it is expected that the structure will serve traffic for another 30 to 50 years with just regular maintenance before another rehabilitation is needed.

hbelkins

Quote from: thenetwork on December 31, 2023, 12:47:43 PM
I haven't looked at all the project specifics, but just how much "real" life does the current Brent Spence have left before it will need to be replaced altogether?  I thought I heard that there is only so much they can do before having to talk unavoidable replacement?

If that's the case, then one would think they would need to plan now for future ramps, ROW's and roadway tie-ins to the new sister bridge when the original bridge is replaced and/or closed.

It's a common misconception that the Brent Spence is in danger of collapsing into the Ohio River. Its issue is functional obsolescence, not structural deficiency. The bridge had pretty extensive work done when the truck fire occurred several months ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

The plan for the older c. 1932 US 41 bridge in Henderson KY over the Ohio River will keep it in operation for over 130 years with just regular maintenance. It's not unfathomable that the state could get 150+ years out of it.

Henry

So I-75 is going to be Cincinnati's Carmageddon in the next several years. With the Mill Creek Expressway project also about to begin to the bridge's immediate north, expect a big mess on the other freeways as well as motorists will struggle to get around the two construction sites (about 20 miles' worth, IIRC, and that includes the stretch across the river in Covington).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

doglover44

When the Brent Spence bridge is being replaced where the heck would the detour be ?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: doglover44 on January 20, 2024, 02:46:44 AM
When the Brent Spence bridge is being replaced where the heck would the detour be ?

They are going to be building a new double-decker bridge west of the existing bridge for thru traffic. After the new bridge opens to traffic, the existing bridge will be massively rehabbed and restriped to carry local traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.