News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY - Sequential vs. Mile Based Exits

Started by Buffaboy, January 25, 2018, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

With regards to exit numbering, one thing NYSTA could do to keep peace with FHWA is add "Old Exit XX" to these new mileage based signs, like they do in PA.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

PHLBOS

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 25, 2018, 02:38:55 AM
With regards to exit numbering, one thing NYSTA could do to keep peace with FHWA is add "Old Exit XX" to these new mileage based signs, like they do in PA.
Just about every state that changes their exit numberings (regardless of the reason(s)) places either OLD EXIT XX or FORMERLY EXIT XX supplemental signs nearby.  However, such are normally removed after roughly 2 years.  PA simply never got around to taking their signs down unless the surrounding signs were later replaced (and even that wasn't always consistent).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

The funny thing is that when there was an upswell to switch over at NYSDOT some years ago, a rather...singularly intelligent... office director suggested NEW EXIT XX signage, I kid you not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Not a bad idea. I've pondered that myself. They could just be temporarily tacked on and taken down within a few years.

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 25, 2018, 09:12:39 AM
PA simply never got around to taking their signs down unless the surrounding signs were later replaced.
Yeah, I-90 near Erie says hello  :wave: :pan:

Jim

Why do I feel like we'll eventually end up with every Thruway exit marked with both existing Thruway exit numbers and I-87/I-90 mileage based exit numbers, and not just for a couple of years of a conversion period?

Each tab something like:

Thruway Exit 27/I-90 Exit 322

Maybe with the NYT logo and an I-90 shield.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Quote from: Jim on January 25, 2018, 10:36:52 AM
Why do I feel like we'll eventually end up with every Thruway exit marked with both existing Thruway exit numbers and I-87/I-90 mileage based exit numbers, and not just for a couple of years of a conversion period?

Each tab something like:

Thruway Exit 27/I-90 Exit 322

Maybe with the NYT logo and an I-90 shield.

I'm pretty sure I've suggested something similar, before the AET news came out. We could have "Exit 106/Toll Plaza 48". Not totally against that idea with the current setup, but with AET, it's either all mileage-based or all sequential. Definitely not both, and preferably all mileage-based (duh).

roadman

Actually, the MUTCD is totally silent as regards to informing drivers about the previous exit numbers when you change to reference (milepost) based numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on January 25, 2018, 11:53:07 AMActually, the MUTCD is totally silent as regards to informing drivers about the previous exit numbers when you change to reference (milepost) based numbers.
Which is the main reason why there have been different variations of OLD EXIT XX of FORMERLY EXIT XX signage from state to state.

See this polling thread  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

webny99

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 25, 2018, 01:26:50 PM
Quote from: roadman on January 25, 2018, 11:53:07 AMActually, the MUTCD is totally silent as regards to informing drivers about the previous exit numbers when you change to reference (milepost) based numbers.
Which is the main reason why there have been different variations of OLD EXIT XX of FORMERLY EXIT XX signage from state to state.

The MUTCD is probably silent on that because if it was done right the first time, there would be no need to change the numbers  :pan:

PHLBOS

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 01:32:38 PM

The MUTCD is probably silent on that because if it was done right the first time, there would be no need to change the numbers  :pan:
Exit/interchange numbers changes have occurred before; regardless of them sequential or mile-marker-based.

Several highways in the Greater Boston area have had their exit numbers change at least once over the past 55 years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 25, 2018, 02:20:46 PM

Exit/interchange numbers changes have occurred before; regardless of them sequential or mile-marker-based.

Several highways in the Greater Boston area have had their exit numbers change at least once over the past 55 years.

Ah, yes. Because someone at MassDPW was smart enough to realize that making Route 128 Exit 25 on every expressway may not have been a good idea.  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on January 25, 2018, 02:50:35 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 25, 2018, 02:20:46 PM

Ah, yes. Because someone at MassDPW was smart enough to realize that making Route 128 Exit 25 on every expressway may not have been a good idea.  :-D
While such did impact several highways in the region; that wasn't the only reason for other changes made.  Several renumberings were made due to either extensions or redesignations of routes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

machias

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2018, 09:21:51 AM
The funny thing is that when there was an upswell to switch over at NYSDOT some years ago, a rather...singularly intelligent... office director suggested NEW EXIT XX signage, I kid you not.

I remember hearing that and discussing it with some folks I know in NYSDOT. Wasn't that plan to post NEW EXIT XX for like 5 years and then switch them around and post FORMERLY EXIT XX for the next five or something like that?

Rothman

I don't remember it getting that specific.  All I remember was this one office director that ran around spouting this stupidity back then for a while.  The plan was never fleshed out very specifically insofar as I am aware.  He would just bring it up in meetings with Regions across the state.

He got kicked down a notch a year or two afterwards, anyway.

(personal opinion expressed)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 25, 2018, 10:08:13 PM

I remember hearing that and discussing it with some folks I know in NYSDOT. Wasn't that plan to post NEW EXIT XX for like 5 years and then switch them around and post FORMERLY EXIT XX for the next five or something like that?

Heck, why not just name the interchanges instead of numbering them? Seems like it would be a lot easier to keep the designations unique, and it probably matches more closely the way we actually navigate these days.

iPhone

hotdogPi

Quote from: empirestate on January 30, 2018, 09:07:57 AM

Heck, why not just name the interchanges instead of numbering them? Seems like it would be a lot easier to keep the designations unique, and it probably matches more closely the way we actually navigate these days.

iPhone

Then we can't estimate how far away the exit is.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on January 30, 2018, 09:08:44 AM

iPhone

Okay, I accept that condition. Names it is! :-D

(Kidding aside, the Thruway already indicates the distance to the next exit, so that problem is easily solved.)

iPhone

SignBridge

Didn't the Illinois Tollway System (or some other state in the upper Midwest) actually operate that way years ago? Named interchanges with no exit numbers?

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on January 30, 2018, 07:44:50 PM
Didn't the Illinois Tollway System (or some other state in the upper Midwest) actually operate that way years ago? Named interchanges with no exit numbers?

The Penna Turnpike once did; I don't believe its exits were numbered initially.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on January 30, 2018, 05:44:45 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 30, 2018, 09:08:44 AM

iPhone

Okay, I accept that condition. Names it is! :-D

(Kidding aside, the Thruway already indicates the distance to the next exit, so that problem is easily solved.)

iPhone
I find those NEXT EXIT XX MILES not as useful as mileage-based exit numbers, since I can calculate the distance between any exit with the latter.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2018, 10:01:18 AMI find those NEXT EXIT XX MILES not as useful as mileage-based exit numbers, since I can calculate the distance between any exit with the latter.

I'm a little confused here.  If you don't have a map or paper toll ticket with you and you have not committed mileage-based exit numbers to memory, then how do you know what the exit number is for the next interchange?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2018, 10:49:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2018, 10:01:18 AMI find those NEXT EXIT XX MILES not as useful as mileage-based exit numbers, since I can calculate the distance between any exit with the latter.

I'm a little confused here.  If you don't have a map or paper toll ticket with you and you have not committed mileage-based exit numbers to memory, then how do you know what the exit number is for the next interchange?
My point is that if you know what exit you have to take to get off the highway, you always know how much further you have to go. 

When I am on the Thruway and know I am getting off at, say, Exit 60, there is no shortcut way of calculating the distance.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2018, 10:52:35 AMMy point is that if you know what exit you have to take to get off the highway, you always know how much further you have to go. 

When I am on the Thruway and know I am getting off at, say, Exit 60, there is no shortcut way of calculating the distance.

Thanks for the elucidation.  There are free Interstates that have mileage-based exit numbers as well as "Next Exit X Miles" signs, and I suspect the latter will remain on the Thruway even after it goes to mileage-based exit numbers because it is a closed corridor with wide exit spacing in rural areas.  The two are not full substitutes for each other.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2018, 11:12:21 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2018, 10:52:35 AMMy point is that if you know what exit you have to take to get off the highway, you always know how much further you have to go. 

Thanks for the elucidation.  There are free Interstates that have mileage-based exit numbers as well as "Next Exit X Miles" signs, and I suspect the latter will remain on the Thruway even if it ever goes to mileage-based exit numbers because it is a closed corridor with wide exit spacing in rural areas.  The two are not full substitutes for each other.
Fixed a typo.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2018, 11:12:21 AM

Thanks for the elucidation.  There are free Interstates that have mileage-based exit numbers as well as "Next Exit X Miles" signs, and I suspect the latter will remain on the Thruway even after it goes to mileage-based exit numbers because it is a closed corridor with wide exit spacing in rural areas.  The two are not full substitutes for each other.

Agreed that they are not substitutes for each other. But if forced to choose between the two, I'll take the mileage-based exit numbers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.