News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Retired hurricane names for 2017

Started by Pink Jazz, October 11, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

For 2017, it looks like we have three obvious retirement candidates (Harvey, Irma, and Maria), and one possible retirement candidate (Nate). Could 2017 be tied for #2 with 1955, 1995, and 2004 with four names retired? Nate is probably the wildcard for retirement, due to the death toll in Central America, causing a similar death toll to Otto last year in the same area which was retired. The damage in the U.S. for Nate, while not as bad as the other three, was still pretty significant at $2.5 billion, and less damaging storms have had their names retired in the past.

And yes, I know I posted this thread at A.net as well.

74/171FAN

I'm also thinking that Katia is possible considering that it hit Mexico days after an earthquake hit the southern portion of the country.  Obviously I am unsure how confident I feel on that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 11, 2017, 04:11:04 PM
I'm also thinking that Katia is possible considering that it hit Mexico days after an earthquake hit the southern portion of the country.  Obviously I am unsure how confident I feel on that.

Mexico has a pretty poor record of retiring names, so I wouldn't count on it.

Interstate 69 Fan

Percentages...
Arlene: 0%
Bret 1%
Cindy 3%
Don 5%
Emily 1%
Franklin 15%
Gert 10%
Harvey 100% - RETIRED
Irma 100% - RETIRED
Jose 40%
Katia 20%
Lee 0%
Maria 100 % - RETIRED
Nate 100% - RETIRED
Ophelia 0%
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

GaryV

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 13, 2017, 03:23:00 PM
Percentages...
Bret 1%
Cindy 3%
Don 5%
Emily 1%
Franklin 15%
Gert 10%
Harvey 99%
Irma 99%
Jose 40%
Katia 20%
Lee 0%
Maria 99%
Nate 80% (Deaths and damages)
Ophelia Active, unknown

Can you put a bet on those odds in Vegas?

Pink Jazz

Percentages...

Jose 40%

I wonder why did you put Jose at 40%?  Despite its strength, it barely caused any damage. Hurricanes aren't retired for strength alone generally.

hm insulators

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 13, 2017, 05:30:42 PM
Percentages...

Jose 40%

I wonder why did you put Jose at 40%?  Despite its strength, it barely caused any damage. Hurricanes aren't retired for strength alone generally.

Actually, the organization that retires hurricane names is the World Meteorological Organization. It's because of them that there will never be another Hurricane Katrina or Andrew, for example. Harvey, Irma and Maria will certainly be retired. I don't know about Nate, but Ophelia (which clobbered Ireland after it metamorphosized into what's called an "extratropical" system; i.e. your normal garden-variety storm, if more severe than usual) might be retired. It remains to be seen.

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

paulthemapguy

I think they'll just retire Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and no others.  I'm just guessing here, though.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Alps

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 27, 2017, 11:24:53 PM
I think they'll just retire Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and no others.  I'm just guessing here, though.
In a down year, Irma might have seemed bad, but coming right after Harvey it felt like a much weaker little sister. I've seen lesser hurricanes retired though so you're probably right.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2017, 12:49:48 AM
In a down year, Irma might have seemed bad, but coming right after Harvey it felt like a much weaker little sister. I've seen lesser hurricanes retired though so you're probably right.

Uh.... so, Harvey is the costliest storm on record, beating Katrina. It's getting retired no matter what.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2017, 12:49:48 AM

Those were my thoughts exactly.  That's pretty much my entire thought process lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Hurricane Rex

I agree that Harvey, Irma, and Maria will be retired. Ophelia does have a chance that it will be retired due to the effects on the British Isles, and in an off year, Nate would have a better chance to be retired.

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 13, 2017, 05:30:42 PM
Percentages...

Jose 40%

The only Hurricane to ever be retired due to strength is Hurricane Patricia (215 mph, 872 mb).
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ftballfan

What are some names that were surprisingly NOT retired in recent years?
I can think of a few:
Juan (1985; would eventually be retired after a 2003 storm of the same name hit Atlantic Canada)
Gordon (1994)
Bonnie (1998)
Emily (2005)
All of the above were either billion-dollar storms or killed thousands of people.

Irma seemed like child's play compared to Harvey mostly because Irma trucked along the I-75 corridor with decent forward speed while Harvey parked in south Texas for almost a week.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: ftballfan on December 31, 2017, 03:12:11 PM
I can think of a few:
Juan (1985; would eventually be retired after a 2003 storm of the same name hit Atlantic Canada)
Gordon (1994)
Bonnie (1998)
Emily (2005)
All of the above were either billion-dollar storms or killed thousands of people.

Irma seemed like child's play compared to Harvey mostly because Irma trucked along the I-75 corridor with decent forward speed while Harvey parked in south Texas for almost a week.

Can I add Isaac of 2012? 2 billion in damage.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: ftballfan on December 31, 2017, 03:12:11 PM
I can think of a few:
Gordon (1994)

Somehow Haiti didn't send any representatives to the meeting following the storm, so it wasn't retired. It will be used this year (unless there are less than 7 storms).
Quote from: ftballfan on December 31, 2017, 03:12:11 PMEmily (2005)

At the time Mexico wasn't too keen to request the retirement of several names. As a result Emily remains the only Category 5 hurricane since current lists began not to be retired.

At the opposite end is Frances. The 2004 iteration was to be the last anyway due to a request by, you have guessed it, France.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2018, 10:26:37 AM

At the time Mexico wasn't too keen to request the retirement of several names. As a result Emily remains the only Category 5 hurricane since current lists began not to be retired.

Another example Mexico not requesting retirement is 2010's Hurricane Karl, which caused $3.9 billion in damage.  Mexico seems to be fairly unpredictable in its retirements, since there have been several less damaging storms that have been retired, although perhaps today Mexico might have higher retirement standards than in the past.

Interstate 69 Fan

We'll probably know who's retired in March. Anyone know when the meeting is?

Katavia

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on January 03, 2018, 02:13:00 PM
We'll probably know who's retired in March. Anyone know when the meeting is?

Not sure if this is the meeting that is called to retire names (among other things), but I did find this:

Quote47th Session of the IPCC

Start date
13 March 2018

End date
16 March 2018
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Pink Jazz

Here are my picks for replacement names:

• Harvey replaced by Hank
  • Irma replaced by Idalia
  • Maria replaced by Maleficent
  • Nate (if retired) replaced by Neil
  • Ophelia (if retired) replaced by Odessa

Note that Ophelia is now looking less likely to be retired, since damage totals in Ireland were greatly reduced from over $1 billion to around $70 million.  Nate on the other hand is looking more likely to be retired since the damage and deaths in Costa Rica rivaled Otto from 2016, which was retired.

Pink Jazz

The 40th Session of the RA IV Hurricane Committee starts tomorrow.  We should have our retired names and their replacements announced by Thursday-Saturday.

Pink Jazz

Looks like we have our retired names: Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate.  Their replacements are Harold, Idalia, Margot, and Nigel.

Interstate 69 Fan

Percentages...
Bret 1%
Cindy 3%
Don 5%
Emily 1%
Franklin 15%
Gert 10%
Harvey 100% - RETIRED
Irma 100% - RETIRED
Jose 40%
Katia 20%
Lee 0%
Maria 100 % - RETIRED
Nate 100% - RETIRED
Ophelia 0%
Edited my percentages.

CNGL-Leudimin

You missed Philippe and Rina in your list.

They are coming up with some weird names: Harold, Idalia, Margot, Nigel. Much like in the Western Pacific the names are increaingly sounding more like Chinese. Fun fact: in the 2023 list from Harold to Nigel only Jose isn't a replacement name. And this year's list contains the last remaining I name from when the current lists were first used: Isaac.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 12, 2018, 10:56:03 AM
You missed Philippe and Rina in your list.

I know - I decided not to include them because they had near-null chance.

Hurricane Rex

Isaac should've been retired in 2012 IMO after the $2b it dealt to Louisiana.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.