News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

There's a district in West London called "White City", but it appears on google maps as "White Stadt", which suggests they used the German wikipedia co-ordinates and ignored the English ones.

They had some French and Welsh names appearing around London, but sorted those (no map maker in the UK yet).

Mr. Matté

vtk

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 11, 2011, 12:21:26 PM
If you thought Quebec Route 366 was bad...

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2011/07/google_map_brings_recreation-s.html

It sounds to me like Google gives directions the way it does because this shared driveway appears on Google Maps and is the closest road to the lake or the geographic center of the lake.  If Google simply removes the driveway from its map data (I don't think it should be there in the first place if it's a driveway for a few private residences) then the problem should go away.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

This is Google we're talking about.  I wouldn't be surprised if the only way this eventually gets resolved is if she sues them.  It's not like Google cares about their data.  She could try using mapmaker first, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: deanej on July 12, 2011, 12:35:52 PM
...She could try using mapmaker first, though.

*Archie Bunker laugh*

I tried and someone else tried deleting the roads, and surprise surprise, edits denied by people with bad grammar/spelling.

ftballfan

HighwayMaster

Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

vdeane

At this point I'm wondering if we should close this thread and start a "Correct highways marked on Google Maps" thread.  :)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quebec Route 366 appears to be fixed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

NE2

As are Corridor D (SR 32) across Ohio, Corridor H, way too much of US 23 north of Columbus, the San Jose area expressways, the entire southern approach to the CBBT, NJ 17, just to name a few... I was hoping I-180 Wyoming would be marked as a freeway, but no dice :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

It seems that a lot of expressways are being shown as freeways now.  Sometimes, only one direction of the roadway has been upgraded, which smacks of MapMaker mischief.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2010, 09:44:48 PM
Trying to get from Tulsa to Independence, KS? Better take US-3300.

ROTFL, this one is still posted in Google Maps. hahahahaha.

jdb1234

texaskdog

Still funny when they email you and tell you you are right about a correction and that they will change it soon, and it never gets changed.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: texaskdog on September 01, 2011, 08:28:05 AM
Still funny when they email you and tell you you are right about a correction and that they will change it soon, and it never gets changed.

It is funny sometimes, but it's also annoying other times.  For one, they still can't get the I-10/I-95 interchange in Jacksonville correct.  Then still need to fix NB I-95 at that interchange....
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=30.321665,-81.681762&spn=0.006964,0.013937&z=17&vpsrc=6

vdeane

I've pretty much given up on Google at this point.  There's no way it will ever be accurate.

They should have just stuck with Navteq.  When they switched to TeleAtlas, that's when all the problems began.

Brandon

And the directions for Google Maps are getting worse, IMHO.  Google Maps failed to recognize a section of I-94 near Albion, MI, instead sending the user off onto frontage roads and other roads for about 10 miles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jdb1234

Apparently US 20 now has a long multiplex with US 26.

Bickendan

Outside of Idaho?

OR 224 is marked as a freeway between OR 99E and OR 213.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: english si on July 04, 2011, 06:12:04 PM
There's a district in West London called "White City", but it appears on google maps as "White Stadt", which suggests they used the German wikipedia co-ordinates and ignored the English ones.

They had some French and Welsh names appearing around London, but sorted those (no map maker in the UK yet).

Another European/linguistic example:

They seem to have largely fixed it, but for a long time street names, landmarks and so on in Brussels appeared in Dutch only.  (For those who don't know the Belgian situation, roughly half the country has Dutch as its official language, the other half French, and a bit in the east German...  linguistic politics is highly sensitive - one example that the rest of Europe finds baffling and annoying is the treatment of place names on: in a Dutch-speaking area, for example, a non-Dutch-speaking city that has a Dutch name different from its name in its own language needs to be signed in Dutch only, so people navigating through Belgium by city names need to know two names for lots of places...  Anyhow, Brussels, the capital, is officially bilingual but predominantly French-speaking.  If I were in charge of Google maps, I'd label everything in Brussels in both languages, but most maps for tourists show street names and such only in French; using only the Dutch names is not very helpful.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

OCGuy81

Interesting little note on Google Maps.

If you zoom in on Disneyland, specifically Disney's California Adventure, the trail that encircles the park actually shows up on Google Maps as CA-49.  It's funny, because there ARE CA-49 novelty shields as you walk the park, and I guess someone at Google took it literally.

They also show CA-66 where "Cars" Land is under construction.

I'm unsure how to post Google Map images, but it's worth checking out if you're interested in Google errors.

1995hoo

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 16, 2011, 10:36:25 AM

I'm unsure how to post Google Map images, but it's worth checking out if you're interested in Google errors.

Zoom in on where you want, then click the little chain-link icon above and to the right of the map window. It lets you copy and paste a link. If you want to post an actual image, you'd have to take a screenshot, save it as an image, then upload that image to somewhere. It's usually more trouble than it's worth unless you want to compare an outdated Google Street View image (which may change if they update it) to a current photo. But if you want to do it, on a PC you hit <Shift>-<PrtScr> to take the screenshot, then load a picture program (MS Paint works fine), cut out the area you want and copy it into a new image, save that, then upload the resulting file to a photo-sharing site like Photobucket, then copy and paste the URL for the image (Photobucket will give you a link that already contains the "IMG" tags needed on this forum).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Google just recently broke the Liberty Bridge going both dirrections here in Pittsburgh..... :pan:

http://g.co/maps/rgvsm

MDOTFanFB

...while Google thinks all but one of the ramps at the I-94/Telegraph Road (U.S. 24) interchange in Taylor, MI is under construction:

http://g.co/maps/5868p

Try making a route that uses one of those ramps and the directions tell you to use another exit nearby. For example, if you try to route from I-94 east to Telegraph south, you would have to get off at Pelham Road (exit 204), then backtrack on Van Born Road!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.