News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 05, 2014, 11:39:40 AM
The problem is that too many states sign TRUCK along the best through route when they should be using BYPASS or no banner on the bypass and BUSINESS on the in-town route. The Goog using BYP as the banner for routes signed as TRUCK conveys the correct idea most of the time, just not in this one oddball case where it's a truck route not because it's the best route, but because of restrictions on what would otherwise be the best route.

And to some degree, I'm willing to give a little benefit of the doubt to Google because TRUCK 1/9 is unusual in this regard.  Only locals would know that TRUCK 1/9 is not a conventional bypass.  Plus, there may not be an indication for TRUCK routes in their system, so they used Bypass instead.  And right now, while there are closures to the Pulaski Skyway in the northbound direction, the term bypass actually makes perfect sense.

And in my opinion, I'd prefer signing the through route without any banners at all, then having the through route known as a bypass.

NE2

US 281 through Falfurrias isn't toll, is it?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on December 08, 2014, 03:06:31 PM
US 281 through Falfurrias isn't toll, is it?

I have March, 2014 email correspondence from TxDOT stating that it would not be tolled:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.msg297433;topicseen#msg297433

Previously, a 2011 Alliance for I-69 Texas article (linked in above-linked post) had reported that it would be tolled.

IIRC Oscar drove it right after it opened.

NE2

Holy shit. Some idiot (or do they have a program automatically running through the exits?) interpreted this as exit 15:

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

You'd think that whoever (or whatever) made that mistake would've noticed the lack of exit numbers on that stretch of US 1 anyway.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

I do believe Google has a rather aggressive strategy of algorithmically extracting map data from Street View imagery.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

national highway 1

Some idiot made sure the Google path didn't follow the actual road on satellite.
http://goo.gl/jc4co0
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vdeane

I've seen it a few times, though nothing compares to how far off the map and satellite data is in China.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

Apparently, Interstate 4 is now in Alaska.

http://goo.gl/maps/J2ePO

Yes, I know it's supposed to be Interstate A4, and it doesn't seem to be signed, but it should be marked on Maps as such.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 11, 2014, 02:31:08 PM
Apparently, Interstate 4 is now in Alaska.

http://goo.gl/maps/J2ePO

Yes, I know it's supposed to be Interstate A4, and it doesn't seem to be signed, but it should be marked on Maps as such.

Still better than former I-6 in Maine (now ME 6).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

No, it shouldn't be marked at all. It helps no one.

sbeaver44

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 04, 2014, 10:53:48 AM
There's apparently a bug in Maps causing roads that are marked as Planned/Started to be visible.

Yeah, I saw this with I-11 today and was like...did I miss something?

Billy F 1988

Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2014, 04:26:56 PM
No, it shouldn't be marked at all. It helps no one.

As if what GMaps marked by mistake don't help anyhow for any route at all.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

roadfro

Quote from: sbeaver44 on December 11, 2014, 05:40:15 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on December 04, 2014, 10:53:48 AM
There's apparently a bug in Maps causing roads that are marked as Planned/Started to be visible.

Yeah, I saw this with I-11 today and was like...did I miss something?

Yeah, I saw this recently with I-11 south of Boulder City, NV. Not marked "future" or anything... I was thinking, "they haven't even put phase 1 out to bid yet".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

adventurernumber1

Earlier today I saw this on Google Maps looking at Alaska:
:rofl:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Bickendan

Not digging back to see if this has been mentioned already, but I-238 gains an orphaned sibling: I-134.

At least this one's on the correct side of I-40...

dfwmapper

Quote from: Bickendan on December 16, 2014, 06:26:09 PM
Not digging back to see if this has been mentioned already, but I-238 gains an orphaned sibling: I-134.

At least this one's on the correct side of I-40...
Where?

Bickendan

dfwmapper

Quote from: Bickendan on December 16, 2014, 06:42:09 PM
The Ventura Freeway.
:pan: not some newbie who screwed that up either. Some of the decisions those people make just baffle me. Hopefully the fix will be approved soon.

NE2

dfwmapper

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 16, 2014, 06:54:23 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on December 16, 2014, 06:42:09 PM
The Ventura Freeway.
:pan: not some newbie who screwed that up either. Some of the decisions those people make just baffle me. Hopefully the fix will be approved soon.
This is fixed, BTW. I can't fix I-238, you'll have to get CalTrans and the FHWA to do that.
Quote from: NE2 on December 16, 2014, 10:31:16 PM
lolwut
County Road SC. Someone should spam up the map with the 49 other state abbreviations and see what happens.

SignGeek101

jakeroot

^^ I know in Washington, for example, US 2 is considered State Route 2, Interstate 5 is State Route 5, Interstate 90 is State Route 90, and so on. You can probably guess that we don't sign the same number for multiple types of roadways. I'm wondering if maybe New Hampshire does the same thing, and Google is just using overly specific legal speak on their maps?

dfwmapper

No, someone just fucked up. Happens all the time. It's fixed now internally, but this particular type of change takes a long time to show up on the map for some reason.

jakeroot

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 20, 2014, 02:02:04 AM
No, someone just fucked up. Happens all the time. It's fixed now internally, but this particular type of change takes a long time to show up on the map for some reason.

I've seen weeks between Google telling me they fixed something and it actually showing up. The smaller fixes (like missing roundabouts or slip lanes) are usually pretty quick, but I bet a big fuck-up like this could take quite a long time to update, since there are many, many more "sectors" to update (if that makes any sense).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.