News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Big Sur Slide Spectacular Part 5 (Pfeiffer Canyon reopens on CA 1)

Started by Max Rockatansky, October 19, 2017, 11:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The new Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge FINALLY opened on the evening of the 13th last week.  I had a chance to go down to Big Sur to check out the new bridge, the full photo album is here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7i2Cjq

But I'm sure a lot of people really just want to see the new Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, so here is starting with my southbound approach:

-  New signage at the previous closure location at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park:

IMG_8366 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  Approaching the new bridge with still active Caltrans crews working below the road deck:

IMG_8368 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  A full look at the new road deck:

IMG_8371 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  Looking at the new bridge facing north at the edge of Pfeiffer Canyon:

IMG_8380 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_8386 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  The 2017 date stamp:

IMG_8388 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

What I find odd is how much the new bridge resembles the 1960s bridge it replaced, that's kind of a strange era to emulate the design of I think.  Personally I would have liked to see something either modern looking OR resembles a classic Art Deco design like the historic bridges in Big Sur.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2017, 11:58:24 PM
What I find odd is how much the new bridge resembles the 1960s bridge it replaced, that's kind of a strange era to emulate the design of I think.  Personally I would have liked to see something either modern looking OR resembles a classic Art Deco design like the historic bridges in Big Sur.

Like the old bridge, did they not sink the new bridge into bedrock as well?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on October 20, 2017, 07:32:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2017, 11:58:24 PM

Like the old bridge, did they not sink the new bridge into bedrock as well?

I meant the facade resembles of the old bridge.  I believe the new bridge is a single span across Pfeiffer Canyon and doesn't have the concrete anchors that wiped out the old one in the slides.  I don't have the exact bridge specs by the SFgate says it is a steel span and has a partial time lapse:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Big-Sur-back-in-business-with-opening-of-Pfeiffer-12277324.php

Occidental Tourist

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.