News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Suggestion for Regional Boards

Started by webny99, March 03, 2022, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on March 16, 2022, 10:48:40 AM
It amazes me that people care that much about the little details of how the regional boards are organized.

You notice it way more when you're from a state that's split between boards.

Also, nitpicking little things like the Georgia thread being pinned while the other Southeast state threads aren't is pretty much what we specialize in around here.

JoePCool14

Quote from: US 89 on March 16, 2022, 10:48:40 AM
It amazes me that people care that much about the little details of how the regional boards are organized.

Some people, like myself, are neat freaks. It is what it is. It's the same reason we nitpick an arrow type or font kerning.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Every time people talk about this I'm tempted to set up 50 subforums and make everyone have to scroll past all the states they don't care about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2022, 03:07:33 PM
Every time people talk about this I'm tempted to set up 50 subforums and make everyone have to scroll past all the states they don't care about.
You can use North Carolina as some sort of trial for this  :bigass:

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 16, 2022, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2022, 03:07:33 PM
You can use North Carolina as some sort of trial for this  :bigass:

We do already have at least 50 North Carolina threads, even if they're not titled North Carolina.  :-P

wriddle082

But seriously, is there any particular reason why Georgia is the only pinned thread in Southeast?  Would have thought at least Florida would also deserve to be pinned.  Also Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Tennessee as well.

mrsman

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 19, 2022, 01:14:06 PM
But seriously, is there any particular reason why Georgia is the only pinned thread in Southeast?  Would have thought at least Florida would also deserve to be pinned.  Also Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Tennessee as well.

It would be nice if each state had its own pinned thread to keep track of discussions that are not big enough for their own threads.  It would also be nice if the regional boards did not divide states into different regions, so all discussions respecting one state would be on only one regional board.

Of course, it is too late for some of that, but if a thread merits being pinned, bring it to the attention of the regional moderator.

webny99

I think I've suggested pinning all of the state threads enough times that I'm kind of embarrassed to suggest it again, but I do still support it. It's just unfortunate that it's pretty much impossible to separate from the issue of split states, which is probably why it hasn't happened.

wriddle082

Looks like all of the state threads in Southeast are now pinned.  I like it!  However they also pinned North Carolina, which I intentionally (jokingly) left out of my post last week, because NC has about 35673436 individual threads about specific projects, as they seem to be the most active road-building state in Southeast besides Florida.

Anyway, thank you for this!

Alps

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 25, 2022, 10:12:08 PM
Looks like all of the state threads in Southeast are now pinned.  I like it!  However they also pinned North Carolina, which I intentionally (jokingly) left out of my post last week, because NC has about 35673436 individual threads about specific projects, as they seem to be the most active road-building state in Southeast besides Florida.

Anyway, thank you for this!

You're welcome 😊

froggie

Worth noting that most of the Regional boards have *NO* pinned threads.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 12:08:41 AM

4 of 10 do, and 5 of the other 6 have split state issues (technically Southeast does as well, but Mississippi isn't controversial).

The one that doesn't is the Northeast, since all NY and PA discussion is in that board. (NW PA/WNY might as well be removed from the Great Lakes board description, since there hasn't been any threads there about either state in several years, at least.)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on August 26, 2022, 08:59:11 AM

4 of 10 do, and 5 of the other 6 have split state issues (technically Southeast does as well, but Mississippi isn't controversial).

The one that doesn't is the Northeast, since all NY and PA discussion is in that board. (NW PA/WNY might as well be removed from the Great Lakes board description, since there hasn't been any threads there about either state in several years, at least.)
Not sure what the thought process was when they separated one corner of PA and NY from the rest of those states.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on August 26, 2022, 10:10:50 AM

Not sure what the thought process was when they separated one corner of PA and NY from the rest of those states.

Well they are certainly part of the Great Lakes, but it just makes too much sense to keep all discussion of one state in one board.

SkyPesos

There's a fair bit of Pittsburgh discussion in Ohio Valley, but haven't seen any PA in Great Lakes.

MATraveler128

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 26, 2022, 11:25:14 AM

There's a fair bit of Pittsburgh discussion in Ohio Valley, but haven't seen any PA in Great Lakes.

Yeah. Anything in the northwest part of Pennsylvania gets put in the general Pennsylvania catch all thread while anything in Pittsburgh goes to the SW Pennsylvania thread.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

vdeane

Erie Bayfront Parkway
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

I have thought about creating a separate NW PA Thread, but all I see that applies there would be District 1 stuff.  District 10 does not fit in either NW or SW Pennsylvania IMO, and District 11/12 stuff I have been putting in SW PA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mrsman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 26, 2022, 12:01:12 PM

Yeah. Anything in the northwest part of Pennsylvania gets put in the general Pennsylvania catch all thread while anything in Pittsburgh goes to the SW Pennsylvania thread.

If I had to guess, when they decided that they needed to divide the country into 10 regions, they probably felt that it would be a good idea to keep certain metropolitan areas in one region.  There are several cities in our country that can rightfully be within a "tri-state area" including NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Cincinnatti, Chicago, Memphis.  If you are going to keep each of those metropolitan areas within one region, then your only choice would be to divide certain states in different regions.

The problem is, that we can now see with the benefit of hindsight, is that there are very few region-wide topics compated to state-wide topics.  That it would make far more sense to divide on the basis of state lines, instead of regions.  That only a handful of posts about certain bridges that cross state lines would be in a category of "which region does this belong in" as opposed to a lot of discussion on states and their policies.  And of course, one of the biggest problems is that there is no clear definition of where the dividing line is between E Pa. and W Pa.  Is it Harrisburg?  Is it Altoona?  Do we divide on the basis of county lines and do most people even know what the county lines are?

I hope that some of these issues can be resolved in the future, perhaps it would be very good to, at the very least, keep PA to two regions, instead of three.

And once that is resovled, then we can push for pinned state threads.

Roadgeekteen

In my opinion most states should be in one topic for simplicity sake, or it should be clear wear the dividing line is.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Heck, just do 4 regional boards. Northeast, South, Midwest, West. No divided states.

There's no need for small regional boards that average only a few posts per day. It's not difficult to scroll a little bit (or ctrl+F) to find the thread you're looking for.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on August 30, 2022, 05:15:09 PM
Heck, just do 4 regional boards. Northeast, South, Midwest, West. No divided states.

There's no need for small regional boards that average only a few posts per day. It's not difficult to scroll a little bit (or ctrl+F) to find the thread you're looking for.

100% agreed. It's not organizing anything the way we have it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 30, 2022, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 30, 2022, 05:15:09 PM

100% agreed. It's not organizing anything the way we have it.

I'm on board with this, but definitely get the state threads pinned on each board.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JoePCool14

Four boards is probably still too few. For one, California could probably have its own board given how big that state is. And there's probably still room for a Great Plains board that covers the center of the country. Where would you put starts like Nebraska? The Midwest?

If you started pinning state threads - which I support - under a four board setup, you'd have 10+ threads pinned in each board which is way too many.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 31, 2022, 07:47:58 AM
Four boards is probably still too few. For one, California could probably have its own board given how big that state is. And there's probably still room for a Great Plains board that covers the center of the country. Where would you put starts like Nebraska? The Midwest?

If you started pinning state threads - which I support - under a four board setup, you'd have 10+ threads pinned in each board which is way too many.

OK, then here's my crack at it.

1: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

2: NY, PA, NY, DE, MD, DC, VA

3: WV, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS (including Caribbean territories)

4: OH, MI, IL, IN, WI, IA, MN, MO

5: ND, SD, NE, KS, CO, MT, WY, UT

6: AR, LA, TX, OK, NM

7: CA, AZ, NV, HI (including Pacific territories)

8: AK, WA, OR, ID
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.