News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Elevators that keep the doors open an obnoxiously long time after pressing your desired floor's button (and have a 'door close' button that only apparently works in firefighter mode)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 11, 2020, 10:43:04 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 11, 2020, 10:30:37 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 11, 2020, 10:23:07 PM
I will say though with assigned seats you could just come in 15 minutes late.

Except if you're going to a theatre that has reclining seats, then you run the risk of pissing half a row of people off who were reclined and comfortable.

Moving around making noise isn't a faux pas IMO until the movie actually starts.   

Agreed. you can talk and be on your phone and whatever until it starts.

Oh here's one, wife went to a movie with her giggly friends and they almost got thrown out for being silly...people who talk out loud throughout the movie.

I'm not going to complain about concession prices because that's how they make all their money but when you take your kids and they can't sit for 2 hours without $25 in snacks. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on January 11, 2020, 10:35:58 PM

Except if you're going to a theatre that has reclining seats, then you run the risk of pissing half a row of people off who were reclined and comfortable.

She always buys end seats anyway. Though at our theatre there is just enough room to slide through when reclined.  There's another annoyance, people that get up multiple times at movies and concerts.  A movie is two hours long, no one needs to get up more than once.  If that's you, buy a ticket on the end or up front.

For many shows, you can't choose your seats, especially if there's a rush on tickets when they first go on sale.

Rothman

My only problem with trailers is that I've seen them mostly before I go to the movies nowadays.  Spend the time whispering with my wife about our already set opinions on them while they're playing, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Every theater I've been to that has those (two here, one in Florida) has wide enough aisles that you can get past even when the seats are fully reclined.

I'm cautious about reclining too far when I'm in one of those theaters because I tend to fall asleep in recliners.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2020, 08:16:18 AM

Every theater I've been to that has those (two here, one in Florida) has wide enough aisles that you can get past even when the seats are fully reclined.

I'm cautious about reclining too far when I'm in one of those theaters because I tend to fall asleep in recliners.

Pretty much all new theaters have that design in mind with the recliner chairs and walkway access.  The recliners are okay, I kind of miss seeing a movie in the middle of the day/morning on weekdays and kicking my feet up on the seat in front of me since the theater was empty.  For some reason I found that just as comfortable but it wouldn't make me drowsy. 

J N Winkler

I have to be careful when watching movies in the theatre because I have greater-than-normal susceptibility to "movie hurl."  I try to sit fairly close to the center and fairly far back so the screen doesn't completely fill my field of vision, and I avoid films that are called out as having a lot of handheld camerawork.  Oddly enough, I never get motion sickness even on ships.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2020, 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2020, 08:16:18 AM

Pretty much all new theaters have that design in mind with the recliner chairs and walkway access.

Apparently the last couple theaters I've been to didn't get the memo. Granted, one was renovated, but the other was brand-new.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 12, 2020, 11:38:59 AM
I have to be careful when watching movies in the theatre because I have greater-than-normal susceptibility to "movie hurl."  I try to sit fairly close to the center and fairly far back so the screen doesn't completely fill my field of vision, and I avoid films that are called out as having a lot of handheld camerawork.  Oddly enough, I never get motion sickness even on ships.
Some movies are nasty enough that they can induce hurling.

Don't sit under the edge of the balcony -- I knew a guy that had groceries blown all over him from someone on the balcony.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on January 12, 2020, 02:11:59 PM
Some movies are nasty enough that they can induce hurling.

Don't sit under the edge of the balcony -- I knew a guy that had groceries blown all over him from someone on the balcony.

I've never got vertigo from a movie but I do get headaches from 3D effects for some reason. 

ozarkman417

When a theater shows previews/trailers more than 15-20 minutes after the movie is supposed to START, it gets ridiculous IMO. If they are going to show trailers longer than that, at least delay the start time. Some people like to watch the trailers so if that's what they want to do they can arrive early.

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 11, 2020, 11:24:39 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 11, 2020, 10:35:58 PM

She always buys end seats anyway. Though at our theatre there is just enough room to slide through when reclined.  There's another annoyance, people that get up multiple times at movies and concerts.  A movie is two hours long, no one needs to get up more than once.  If that's you, buy a ticket on the end or up front.

For many shows, you can't choose your seats, especially if there's a rush on tickets when they first go on sale.

Yeah, we generally don't see things right away, much more enjoy half empty theatres.

texaskdog

Sadly that is such an in thing on TV, the wobbly camera work.  Can't watch it either.

crt08

When I went to the new Star Wars it seemed like the previews and ads were running for at least 30 minutes before the movie, and we got there just before when it was supposed to start. Plus what the others mentioned about all of the ads. All of the first ones weren't even previews, but ads for Alexa and all that new tech crap, and whatever the current fads are, then finally after all that the screen went blank and this weird music played for about 3 minutes and then all of the previews started. It was ridiculous. I don't even enjoy going to theaters that much, but from now on I'd rather just show up about 15 minutes after the supposed start time.

Most of the movies I've been to any time recently weren't even half full anyway, even going the first week or so of showings.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: crt08 on January 12, 2020, 07:17:08 PM
When I went to the new Star Wars it seemed like the previews and ads were running for at least 30 minutes before the movie, and we got there just before when it was supposed to start. Plus what the others mentioned about all of the ads. All of the first ones weren't even previews, but ads for Alexa and all that new tech crap, and whatever the current fads are, then finally after all that the screen went blank and this weird music played for about 3 minutes and then all of the previews started. It was ridiculous. I don't even enjoy going to theaters that much, but from now on I'd rather just show up about 15 minutes after the supposed start time.

Most of the movies I've been to any time recently weren't even half full anyway, even going the first week or so of showings.

Speaking of Star Wars, people who follow series way too closely are particularly annoying to be around.  It's almost impossible to not have a movie in a series spoiled these day by the monster fan bases who basically give the plot away in their social media critiques.  With Star Wars ever since the prequel movies came out there is a sect of fans who take them way too seriously.  It's so bad that seeing one of the Star Wars movies within the first week has basically impossible to enjoy since every showing is filled with uber nerd types of people critiquing what they don't like.  I used to watch the Star Wars movies causally and have a decent enough time.  It's the fan base that has really turned me off from the franchise.  Stuff like the Marvel movies isn't usually much better either. 

Regarding long running movie franchises, I'm finding that they are usually pretty formulaic and really don't try much new.  I much rather go see something like Ford vs Ferrari or Knives Out which were infinitely better movies that Star Wars was.  Nostalgia seems to have become a real problem in movies, all the big stuff is just a repeat while the really good fresh movies get pushed to the side. 

crt08

Yeah, I've never been a big follower of movie sequels. Possibly since ones like Star Wars started well before my time. And I didn't grow up around people my age much so I didn't see many of the movies that were coming out then or talk about them. So I tend not to pick up on any histories or character traits like the big movie buffs are. I'm like that about most things in life though.

hbelkins

I haven't been to a movie theater in 20 years. It probably costs $10 for a 20-ounce pop these days.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2020, 08:07:30 PM
I haven't been to a movie theater in 20 years. It probably costs $10 for a 20-ounce pop these days.
Midway was the first for me in at least 20 years.  Being a WW II history buff since childhood, and the owner of at least 10 books about that battle, I wanted to see it. 

Online sites and newsgroups about WW II and the battle itself, had a variety of critical comments about the movie, but a lot of compliments as well, and most of them felt that it was worth seeing at the theater.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

More like $7 dollars.  I usually smuggle my snack and drink in with my jacket or at the bottom of my wife's purse.  Some threatens actually will search you for contraband snacks so I tend to stick to 12ox bottles to hide them easier. 

texaskdog

$6 something for a 44 but close

jakeroot

You can just do what I do, and not buy anything. I'm there to watch movies, not visit the restroom repeatedly. I just saw Kristen Stewart's "Underwater" yesterday, and it was great not having to worry about pissing for the second half of the film. Same thing for when I saw Star Wars in a packed theatre a few weeks ago.

My local theater exclusively uses the "luxury lounging" seating, with ticket costs usually about $8-14 (depending on time of day and screen size). Plenty reasonable to me!

texaskdog

Quote from: jakeroot on January 13, 2020, 12:39:32 AM

You can just do what I do, and not buy anything. I'm there to watch movies, not visit the restroom repeatedly. I just saw Kristen Stewart's "Underwater" yesterday, and it was great not having to worry about pissing for the second half of the film. Same thing for when I saw Star Wars in a packed theatre a few weeks ago.

My local theater exclusively uses the "luxury lounging" seating, with ticket costs usually about $8-14 (depending on time of day and screen size). Plenty reasonable to me!

Wife joined the club, for like $9 a month you get one ticket then 20% off concessions, which I never partake in anyway.  Theatre is in the mall next to us though so close entertainment.

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on January 13, 2020, 12:39:32 AM
That is what I do, just don't buy any food or drink.

I don't need a 4,000 calorie bucket of buttered popcorn to mess up my diet management.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Whenever we go to the movies with our relatives near Miami, their kids (one is 16, the other just turned 14) are always astonished that I never want anything from the concession stand. As jakeroot says, I don't want to have to hit the head during the movie. Prior to Star Wars a few weeks ago, I started to feel like I'd have to go, so I dashed out during the trailer for the new Top Gun sequel (a trailer I had already seen) and made it back before the main event began. Invariably if I have to hit the head during a movie the need will come at some important part I don't want to miss!

I remember when I was in college, the Newcomb Hall theater used to show the original three Star Wars movies all in a row for three nights every January or February (this was prior to any prequels). I'm told when they first started doing that, they scheduled about a ten-minute intermission between movies only to have to increase it to more like half an hour because of the restroom queues between movies. Supposedly they made enough money that weekend to balance the theater's budget for the rest of the school year. (I seem to recall, but my memory may be failing me, that during my fourth year, Lucas had pulled the second two movies from circulation to drum up publicity as he started work on the prequels, so they showed the Indiana Jones trilogy instead.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

In my experience, it is not that difficult to smuggle in consumables (I saw Phantom Menace during its theatrical release with an orange and a cardboard container of UHT milk hidden on my person), but I typically don't bother.  I just try to get a sip of water to head off dehydration before I enter the closed system for two or three hours.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.