News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 13, 2020, 12:15:10 PM
In my experience, it is not that difficult to smuggle in consumables (I saw Phantom Menace during its theatrical release with an orange and a cardboard container of UHT milk hidden on my person), but I typically don't bother.  I just try to get a sip of water to head off dehydration before I enter the closed system for two or three hours.

One thing that was good about a cold climate, heavy jackets.  Minimum wage theatre employees don't care enough to check, my kid who worked there even said so, just don't be obvious about carrying things in.

Another one, companies that feel the need to breed familiarity including your name in emails.  I hate my given name and haven't legally changed it yet.

Scott5114

Things like "100s of paintings on sale!" Really? One hundreds of paintings on sale? Either spell it out "hundreds of paintings" or, if you must use digits, "Over 400 paintings" or even "400+ paintings".

Quote from: texaskdog on January 13, 2020, 12:29:03 PM
Another one, companies that feel the need to breed familiarity including your name in emails.  I hate my given name and haven't legally changed it yet.

The desire for familiarity is only part of it–including the recipient's name helps keep email from getting hit by spam filters, as well as making the recipient more likely to open the email if it's included in the subject line ("whoever sent this knows my name, so I must know them too").
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

My favorite movie theatre by far as of late has been the Delsea Drive-In, down on NJ 47.  Other than being about 40 minutes away, they show current movies (closed from November - February or so).  2 screens, 2 movies per screen, for about $13 each screen.  The concession stand has an incredible selection, and cheaper than the regular theatres. No one walks in front and gets in your way, and the sound comes right thru the car's radio. 

The worst may be someone who arrives late then can't figure out how to turn off their lights.  Or maybe a smoker, but I think they may not allow smoking as I can't really recall smelling any cigarette smoke.   Oh, and when the 2nd movie is over at 1:30am...it's a long, late night drive home!

I did discover a regular theatre, recently remodeled with reclining seats, about 15 minutes away from me when Endgame came out last year. Bonus: They have $5 movies on Tuesdays.  That includes ALL movies, which meant it included Endgame!  I got lucky because the wife wanted to see it; I looked around too late to find theatres with seats available, and this one happened to add a few shows, 1 of which was on a Tuesday. I scooped up those tickets, saving over 50% off a regular ticket price, and enjoyed the show.

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 14, 2020, 06:17:00 AM
My favorite movie theatre by far as of late has been the Delsea Drive-In, down on NJ 47.  Other than being about 40 minutes away, they show current movies (closed from November - February or so).  2 screens, 2 movies per screen, for about $13 each screen.  The concession stand has an incredible selection, and cheaper than the regular theatres. No one walks in front and gets in your way, and the sound comes right thru the car's radio. 

The worst may be someone who arrives late then can't figure out how to turn off their lights.  Or maybe a smoker, but I think they may not allow smoking as I can't really recall smelling any cigarette smoke.   Oh, and when the 2nd movie is over at 1:30am...it's a long, late night drive home!

I did discover a regular theatre, recently remodeled with reclining seats, about 15 minutes away from me when Endgame came out last year. Bonus: They have $5 movies on Tuesdays.  That includes ALL movies, which meant it included Endgame!  I got lucky because the wife wanted to see it; I looked around too late to find theatres with seats available, and this one happened to add a few shows, 1 of which was on a Tuesday. I scooped up those tickets, saving over 50% off a regular ticket price, and enjoyed the show.

Last drive in I went to was a triple feature.  First move was Coneheads and I fell asleep during it.

kphoger

That I cannot reject mail addressed to "CURRENT RESIDENT" by claiming nobody by that name lives at my address.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2020, 11:54:47 AM
That I cannot reject mail addressed to "CURRENT RESIDENT" by claiming nobody by that name lives at my address.

USPS gets so mad when you tell them to stop bringing you junk.

DaBigE

People who cross an aisle in a parking lot at a shallow angle, walking as slowly as possible, oblivious to any traffic around them.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

J N Winkler

Gym-related annoyance that I don't think was mentioned upthread when gym stuff was being discussed:  weight benches without their full complement of weight clips.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

People who reply (usually on Facebook) to a question with incorrect information tens of comments AFTER the correct answer was already given.

Beltway

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 14, 2020, 11:08:25 PM
Gym-related annoyance that I don't think was mentioned upthread when gym stuff was being discussed:  weight benches without their full complement of weight clips.

What about some women who go to the gym mainly to show off their body to men, rather then focus on their exercises?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on January 14, 2020, 11:23:13 PM
People who reply (usually on Facebook) to a question with incorrect information tens of comments AFTER the correct answer was already given.

This happens way more than it should. Totally agree with you.

wxfree

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2020, 05:32:14 AM
Things like "100s of paintings on sale!" Really? One hundreds of paintings on sale? Either spell it out "hundreds of paintings" or, if you must use digits, "Over 400 paintings" or even "400+ paintings".

That reminds me of a song title.  I don't know what the official title is, but I once saw it written as "Land of a 1,000 Dances," land of a one thousand dances.  It made me think about using letters and numbers together, such as A,000 would be "a thousand."
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

DaBigE

Quote from: Beltway on January 14, 2020, 11:35:04 PM
What about some women who go to the gym mainly to show off their body to men, rather then focus on their exercises?

What about them?  :bigass:

jakeroot

^^^
I find men who feel the need to grunt loudly after every lift to be substantially more bothersome.

Verlanka

People who crank up their music too loud while driving.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Verlanka on January 15, 2020, 04:59:16 AM
Highway or city?

If (a) - whatever, if (b) Totally agree, if (yes), low tolerance?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Or, when after given the correct information, someone says "Well, I heard something else by someone else".

Then,
A) Why are you still asking?
B) Well, you now heard two 2 different things. So why are you believing that first thing you heard?

Most likely, they've probably heard the correct answer several times, but still want to keep insisting on that first thing they heard (which was wrong), most likely said by a friend and by association that holds a lot more weight in their mind.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on January 15, 2020, 04:10:17 AM
^^^
I find men who feel the need to grunt loudly after every lift to be substantially more bothersome.

I also find that with the "hey bro can you spot me"  culture of most gyms that it's more likely to see a guy is trying to hit on a girl with a hat pulled over their face.  Things that get to me at the gym:

-  Sitting on a bench for 3-5 minutes between sets. 
-  Not racking free weights. 
-  Asking me to spot you when I'm clearly doing Super Sets or some kind of Circuit Training. 
-  Standing around the free weight area blocking traffic while having a 30 minute conversation about your latest problems in civil court. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 15, 2020, 05:52:11 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on January 15, 2020, 04:59:16 AM
Highway or city?

If (a) - whatever, if (b) Totally agree, if (yes), low tolerance?

At speed on an open road I listen to music loud but always turn it down in suburban settings.  That said I'll definitely put my music back up to drown out someone who has their base cranked up way too high at traffic lights. 

roadman

People who, when the elevator door is within two to three inches of closing, deliberately stick their arm or leg in the gap to force the door to reopen.  Also, people who walk or run up or down escalators when there are stairs immediately adjacent to them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

Quote from: Beltway on January 14, 2020, 11:35:04 PMWhat about some women who go to the gym mainly to show off their body to men, rather than focus on their exercises?

That has not been an issue at my gym, at least at the times I usually go, typically in the late afternoon or early evening.  It is downtown, so there is a mix of white-collar professionals, retirees, and "courthouse paperhangers."  Women are in the minority in the weight area, where I spend most of my time, and I hardly ever see them not keeping their noses to the grindstone.  I have heard conditions are a bit different at suburban gyms on the affluent side of town.

Quote from: jakeroot on January 15, 2020, 04:10:17 AM^^^

At my gym the main area for exercise (other than swimming) is on the third floor.  We used to have a problem with people seemingly testing the floor trusses by dropping weights.  A few weeks ago someone tried bench-pressing 405 lb--four 45 lb plates on each side of the barbell, enough that the camber was easily visible--almost with disastrous results.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 15, 2020, 09:24:41 AM-  Sitting on a bench for 3-5 minutes between sets.

It is a problem, and I have had to realize that I (used to) be an egregious offender in this respect.  Phones are a big driver of this because of the short-term rewards of being contactable, but I discovered that even a book or a New Yorker issue could suck me in.

I returned to the gym last September after a hiatus of almost a year, and although I brought my phone with me onto the exercise floor for a few weeks, I soon discovered I saw better results if I brought no devices or reading material with me and kept the time between sets to a minimum, even if this meant I needed to reduce the amount of weight shifted on each set.  It was easy for me to access this insight since I was essentially putting an exercise program back together from scratch; for others it tends to be a matter of breaking bad habits.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Regarding the gym, the long sitting is not a recent phenomenon tied to phones.  Even 20-25 years ago a lot people still would sit around on benches for a good 3-5 minutes between sets.  I can understand if someone was not physical able or elderly, but the majority of the people I saw do it then and even now are the stereotypical person you'd expect that would be working out a lot.  Generally I try to do 7-8 exercises per muscle group (usually I do 2-3 three muscle groups a workout), for the most part it only takes 35-50 minutes to do.  I often wonder how much people really are getting out their work out sitting around so much.  Then again, I'm usually coming to the gym off a 8-14 mile run so part of me just wants to get out of there so I can go eat. 

kurumi

This was an own goal last week: early morning, pick up a pair of dumbbells, do some curls (and yes, I don't stand right in front of the rack :-) wondering "hey, what's wrong with my left arm today".

Answer: I picked up a mismatched set. I'm not super strong, so 5 extra pounds still makes a difference.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on January 15, 2020, 01:29:55 PM
This was an own goal last week: early morning, pick up a pair of dumbbells, do some curls (and yes, I don't stand right in front of the rack :-) wondering "hey, what's wrong with my left arm today".

Answer: I picked up a mismatched set. I'm not super strong, so 5 extra pounds still makes a difference.

Five pound differences is pretty noticeable until you get around 50-60 pound dumbbells I've always found. 

kphoger

weight benches without their full complement of weight clips.

An odd number of same-weighted weights to choose from.

Not at our gym.  But it would be better than watching silent TV screens.

Quote from: jakeroot on January 15, 2020, 04:10:17 AM

My wife and I go to Planet Fitness, and there are signs specifically instructing people not to grunt loudly.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.