News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Black on White FM/RM Road shields

Started by national highway 1, July 20, 2012, 11:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Hi, I have a question. I do like the Black squared outlined Texas FM/RM roads but I do like the black on white shields manufactured between 1956 and 1969. Anyone know why they were retired? :hmmm:

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

That FM 69 shield? Probably because of the bullet holes :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

I read on old newspaper article that stated that this change, along with the US highway sign design change, were to improve readability/legibility of signs, particularly assemblies at intersections. In Texas, this change also involved moving the arrows to outside the route marker signs.

Alps

A lot of states used white-background shields during this time, especially for US highways. NY used them for everything, for example. States like Delaware were still using cutouts with a single black border rather than the black square. By the 70s, states were all using black squares without cutouts, with isolated exceptions (California, most notably).

Scott5114

The white outline US shield was part of the 1948 MUTCD. This was the first shield specified as 24×24in; cutouts were 16×16 inches. Accordingly the white-outline shield was designated as the "oversize" marker, and was supposed to be used at junctions only; the 16×16 cutout marker remained in the manual for use as reassurance shields. When the 1961 MUTCD came out, all markers were made to be 24×24 by default and the backgrounds flipped to black. That change was probably made for legibility reasons. The cutout shield was retired at this time–probably for legibility reasons as well, but it could have very well been just because having two different shield variants for two different purposes was confusing, and upping the cutouts to 24×24 was probably more expensive than it was worth.

As for state shields, a lot of states were probably just mirroring the changes made by the feds with the US marker so there wouldn't be two very-different looking shields on one assembly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Steve on July 21, 2012, 04:21:39 PM
A lot of states used white-background shields during this time, especially for US highways. NY used them for everything, for example. States like Delaware were still using cutouts with a single black border rather than the black square. By the 70s, states were all using black squares without cutouts, with isolated exceptions (California, most notably).

Arkansas used them, as well, for both US and State highways
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.