News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-290 rebuild/expansion feedback

Started by ET21, October 09, 2013, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Do you mean the black line here or the red line?

The black one follows your routing more closely, but the red one is more like a hypotenuse.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

dzlsabe

Youre getting it, but no right angles. A big curve over Cicero Av, over the SanShipCanal, over Pulaski, adjacent and over BNSF Corwith curving onto 49th ROW, curving south over Western, over CSX railyard, then adjacent to 59th (not 63rd as shown). Yes theres some zig-zags to avoid undue neighborhood disruption. Again 16 miles instead of 22...And a 4 mile bonus because this is the straightest route/line between Schaumburg and Gary, making a current 60+mile drive, FIFTY!
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Brandon

HTF does that even follow traffic patterns!?!  That crosses traffic, not helps traffic!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 24, 2015, 07:50:34 PM
Youre getting it, but no right angles. A big curve over Cicero Av, over the SanShipCanal, over Pulaski, adjacent and over BNSF Corwith curving onto 49th ROW, curving south over Western, over CSX railyard, then adjacent to 59th (not 63rd as shown). Yes theres some zig-zags to avoid undue neighborhood disruption. Again 16 miles instead of 22...And a 4 mile bonus because this is the straightest route/line between Schaumburg and Gary, making a current 60+mile drive, FIFTY!

1) Much greater odds of the Crosstown coming back as a tollway than seeing a brand new Eisenhower-Skyway Cutoff corridor like this coming about.

2) I doubt that much traffic would be willing to pay the currently $4.50 toll for the Skyway after paying for this new tollway, which would probably have a $5+ toll.  One can take two trips on I-294 between I-290 and the I-94/IL 394 interchange for the cost of one trip on the Skyway.

5) The Eisenhower-Skyway Cutoff would exacerbate congestion at the I-90/I-290/IL 53 cloverleaf and on I-290 between IL 390 and I-355.

4) It would probably be cheaper to build both the Illiana and Prairire Parkway as 8 lane facilities and 10-lane I-80 and I-55 between the two than building the Eisenhower-Skyway Cutoff.

GeekJedi

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dzlsabe

HYPOTENUSE.
1)The problem with the Crosstown (I-494) is that it would basically parallel 90/94, not saving any distance and be an engineering nightmare. Huge neighborhood disruption.
2)Time and distance and diesel saved would make it viable.
3)Double lane the cloverleaf? Add a lane if necs to I-290.
4)Im thinking around $4B. Public-private partnership? CREATE? ILTollway? Other tollway funders? Contractors? Maybe a railline or two? Getting all kinds of traffic thru Chicagoland in less than an hour, instead of the status quo? $4B over ten years? should not be that big a deal. Need I remind you of projects pulled off in Boston (Big Dig $22B) New SFBay Bridge ($6B) many others?
HYFingPOTENUSE. No more 90/94.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Revive 755

Quote from: dzlsabe
1)The problem with the Crosstown (I-494) is that it would basically parallel 90/94, not saving any distance and be an engineering nightmare. Huge neighborhood disruption.

And somehow there would be no neighborhood disruption for a different freeway corridor that angles across the street grid?  Tying another freeway into the Hillside area would not be a nightmare in itself?  And building a bridge at an angle across a railyard?  It's bad enough just trying to replace some of the existing bridges across railroads in Chicagoland.

Quote from: dzlsabe2)Time and distance and diesel saved would make it viable.

The amount of traffic using the Skyway would argue against this being a highly used facility.

Quote from: dzlsabe4)Im thinking around $4B. Public-private partnership? CREATE? ILTollway? Other tollway funders? Contractors? Maybe a railline or two? Getting all kinds of traffic thru Chicagoland in less than an hour, instead of the status quo? $4B over ten years? should not be that big a deal. Need I remind you of projects pulled off in Boston (Big Dig $22B) New SFBay Bridge ($6B) many others?

A region that cannot even get new freeways built across rural terrain on the fringes is suddenly going to pony up for a multibillion corridor in the inner lands?

This proposal needs to be relocated to the fictional section.

dzlsabe

1) Minimal neighboorhood disruption. Its going over existing railyards and ROWs using construction techniques similar to those used in I-70 Glenwood Canyon(see vids on utube). At the strangler, three westbound ramps to Is 290, 294 & 88, eastbound only 290 & 88 (294 already merged into 290)
2)This would "complete" the Skyway somewhat, making it a more attractive option. Perfect for "congestion pricing".
4)If your talking about Illiana, theres no shame in calling BS on that turkey. Folks that build and finance tollways couldnt even get lukewarm. And to risk precious District 1 funds on a very fringe, downstate project was rightly cancelled.

Projects like this happen frequently in other states and around the world. Around here, the insanity is thinking that, after fifty-plus years of pretty much daily congestion to gridlock, that will somehow disappear if we do nothing or just build a magic bike path. Before America becomes great again, Chicago must. And Ill spit if godawful Houston becomes #3, while we do nothing to improve the quality of transport and life in the whole region.

Brandon

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 25, 2015, 02:50:50 PM
1) Minimal neighboorhood disruption. Its going over existing railyards and ROWs using construction techniques similar to those used in I-70 Glenwood Canyon(see vids on utube). At the strangler, three westbound ramps to Is 290, 294 & 88, eastbound only 290 & 88 (294 already merged into 290)
2)This would "complete" the Skyway somewhat, making it a more attractive option. Perfect for "congestion pricing".

Dude, put the bong down.  No one would use the Skyway due to the cost.  They don't use it now, they still won't use it.

It would cause a huge amount of disruption for zero benefit to traffic flow.  The traffic patterns in that area follow the Stevenson, Ogden, and Archer.  As for crossing rail yards on bridges, that's very, very expensive, provided you can even get the railroad to sign off on it at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 24, 2015, 07:50:34 PM

I want the drugs you're using. You're talking a multi billion dollar project, going through multiple suburbs and neighborhoods of Chicago, in a direction that doesn't make any sense.

There is no "missing" link as you've essentially stated in 3 other threads including this one
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dzlsabe

Why was the IKE and its extension to Schaumburg called I-90 until 1978?

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 28, 2015, 12:51:17 AM
Why was the IKE and its extension to Schaumburg called I-90 until 1978?

Seems like it was the carrier until it was moved to the Kennedy to replace the IL-194 number. By the sound of it, the Kennedy and NW tollway was probably being built.

Does it mean it should go back to that like you're cheering for? No
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

should been I-90 all the way to madison wi up IL-53 / IL-120 / US-12 route.

mrsman

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 24, 2015, 05:11:51 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8337329,-87.7319639,11z Follow CN ROW from "strangler" exiting 290 or going to 290 & 294, to Cicero, turning south, crossing San/Ship canal, Pulaski, BNSF Corwith, east on 49th, south along Western and CSX to 59th, then east to Halsted, then SE, crossing Ryan, connecting to Skyway.

This idea probably belongs in Fictional Highways.

Even though it seems far fetched, I could say that it is based on the real world plans of the 1970's Crosstown Expressway that was designed to connect the Skyway to the Edens Junction by way of (primarily) railroad corridors.  This would have been a huge help.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstown_Expressway_(Chicago)

Rick Powell

Story on local forums that explain where the potential noise walls will go along I-290 between Mannheim Road and Racine Avenue if the reconstruction project moves forward.  Local residents who would benefit from the walls will be allowed to vote on whether they want them or not.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/28/oak-park-residents-near-eisenhower-expressway-expansion-to-vote-on-sound-barriers/

dzlsabe

Instead of noise walls, how bout "suspended structures"...basically a tent or dome over the highway, cutting down noise, and making the road impervious to weather and blinding sunlight.

Brandon

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 29, 2015, 03:44:06 PM
Instead of noise walls, how bout "suspended structures"...basically a tent or dome over the highway, cutting down noise, and making the road impervious to weather and blinding sunlight.

And the snow still sneaks in from the sides.  Of course, there are cost considerations, especially for structural support and maintenance.  Not to mention that if you make it fully enclosed, you still have to vent the thing.

dzlsabe

Stratuscaster

Not in any of the half-dozen threads it now exists in, no.

From what I have read, the Skyway was built when Indiana moved the end of the IN Toll Road from the Borman/Tri-State up to Indianapolis Blvd & 106th. They did so because their planners found that only 15% of the traffic heading west was going to go past or beyond Chicago, while 85% was going to go INTO Chicago. Commercial traffic was banned from Lake Shore Drive, so that connection wasn't happening. Neither was the planned Stony Island Expressway. State Street was the main N-S route at the time, so the Skyway was built from State St east to the IN Toll Road. It was later extended west to connect to the newly opened Dan Ryan. There were never plans to have it go any farther northwest that I am aware of; the only bypass of the city at the time was the Tri-State.

dietermoreno

I'm waiting to see the Eisenhower in I, Robot be built.

There appears to be a double decked expressway with 4 general purpose lanes in each direction, no inner shoulder, and the ramps merge onto the outer shoulder and allow shoulder riding and robot bus use and stopping on the outer shoulder in each direction (this is for what we can see for the upper deck).

Why its elevated but not much wider than it is now, I'm assuming its a double-decker.

I don't see the El.  Maybe the El still exists below on the lower deck?

larger view

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ascentstage/3175972/in/album-79656/

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dietermoreno on October 31, 2015, 01:12:03 AM

It only needs 8 lanes because the vehicles are driven by computers and not dumb humans. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 31, 2015, 01:03:31 PM
Quote from: dietermoreno on October 31, 2015, 01:12:03 AM

It only needs 8 lanes because the vehicles are driven by computers and not dumb humans FIBs. ;)

You're a Cheesehead, you should know. :-)

dzlsabe

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2015, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on October 29, 2015, 03:44:06 PM

And the snow still sneaks in from the sides.  Of course, there are cost considerations, especially for structural support and maintenance.  Not to mention that if you make it fully enclosed, you still have to vent the thing.
So THIS is a good idea then? Id bet any costs associated with a dome would easily offset the decrease in road degradation from weather, esp. winter and salts costs

dzlsabe

Quote from: Stratuscaster on October 31, 2015, 12:30:43 AM
Not in any of the half-dozen threads it now exists in, no.

From what I have read, the Skyway was built when Indiana moved the end of the IN Toll Road from the Borman/Tri-State up to Indianapolis Blvd & 106th. They did so because their planners found that only 15% of the traffic heading west was going to go past or beyond Chicago, while 85% was going to go INTO Chicago. Commercial traffic was banned from Lake Shore Drive, so that connection wasn't happening. Neither was the planned Stony Island Expressway. State Street was the main N-S route at the time, so the Skyway was built from State St east to the IN Toll Road. It was later extended west to connect to the newly opened Dan Ryan. There were never plans to have it go any farther northwest that I am aware of; the only bypass of the city at the time was the Tri-State.
So after FIFTYplus years, this might need a relook?

Stratuscaster

I'm all for ideas that make sense to me. Sorry to say this one doesn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.