News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Gavels

Started by bandit957, June 11, 2023, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Has anyone here ever owned a gavel?

Back when I was in school, sometime around 8th grade, there was a kid at school who had a gavel. He was president of some school club, and he brang in his gavel to conduct meetings. I don't know too many other people who owned a gavel.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

I have one that I got on Amazon to use when making a ruling in Dungeons & Dragons, as a joke. It's in my desk drawer right now.

Maybe I should bang it on the desk whenever I moderate someone.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2023, 03:01:31 AM
I have one that I got on Amazon to use when making a ruling in Dungeons & Dragons, as a joke. It's in my desk drawer right now.

How much damage does hitting someone with a gavel deal?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

I have a paperweight that's shaped like a gavel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on June 12, 2023, 06:48:41 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2023, 03:01:31 AM

How much damage does hitting someone with a gavel deal?

1d4 + STR.

ZLoth

I have one as part of my Toastmasters kit.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Hm.  I made a big, ugly wooden hammer at Old Sturbridge Village years ago that could be used as a gavel....
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

I have never owned a gavel.  I do know a district court judge, and I think she received one as a gift from fellow lawyers when she was appointed, but I have no idea whether she actually uses one in her courtroom.

I have been in court on several occasions, the most recent of which was to serve as a juror in a murder trial.  None of the judges used a gavel.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 12, 2023, 01:02:46 PM
I have never owned a gavel.  I do know a district court judge, and I think she received one as a gift from fellow lawyers when she was appointed, but I have no idea whether she actually uses one in her courtroom.

I have been in court on several occasions, the most recent of which was to serve as a juror in a murder trial.  None of the judges used a gavel.

I know a federal judge who has a massively oversized gavel that he received as a gift from a former law clerk. It's big enough to require two hands and the plaque on the base says "For Rule 11 motions." (A Rule 11 motion, for those who don't know, is a motion for sanctions for filing a frivolous document or bringing a frivolous lawsuit.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I have a rubber mallet. Would that count?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GaryV

How about a meat tenderizer mallet?

Rothman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 15, 2023, 01:58:11 AM
No, actually.  Gavels are strictly wooden.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2023, 07:01:30 AM

Hmmm...  I was thinking of the mallets used to play chimes, but I guess those are typically rawhide, not wood.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Is a croquet mallet gavel-adjacent? If so count me in.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2023, 07:01:30 AM

Both of the official US Senate gavels have been ivory. (The first one was used from 1789 to 1954, when Richard Nixon broke it. It was replaced by one donated by the government of India.) The Senate gavels are unique because they don't have handles; you hold them from the top and tap downwards.

HighwayStar

I own 3, 2 were gifts and one I made myself in the style of the US senate gavel.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

triplemultiplex

I keep seeing this thread title and think it says "Gravels".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 89

I'm waiting for the Gävle goat to chime in.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.